Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Lots of dislike in here for a player who has done nothing but perform well for Kitchener since he arrived here. I agree that Joey should be traded, but because this team is in a position to sell off and collect assets, not because he's bad.

Don’t dislike him, just think it’s time for a more responsible Dman to get those minutes.

Reactions: bobber

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Lots of dislike in here for a player who has done nothing but perform well for Kitchener since he arrived here. I agree that Joey should be traded, but because this team is in a position to sell off and collect assets, not because he's bad.

I don't think anyone "dislikes" little Joe and he has certainly added a lot to the team over the years. I think the general vibe is "he is not suited to play defence on this particular team". It worked last year most of the time with Stanley flanking him and he may very well be successful on defence on another team this year. But not on this version of the Rangers, and personally, don't see him succeeding on D at the pro level. Rumours of him "demanding" to play defence are just rumours, and would seem out of character for him.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
I don't think anyone "dislikes" little Joe and he has certainly added a lot to the team over the years. I think the general vibe is "he is not suited to play defence on this particular team". It worked last year most of the time with Stanley flanking him and he may very well be successful on defence on another team this year. But not on this version of the Rangers, and personally, don't see him succeeding on D at the pro level. Rumours of him "demanding" to play defence are just rumours, and would seem out of character for him.

Yeah you're likely correct. It just felt like a lot of piling on after one not so good game for him.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
So on Friday, the line of Damiani, Meireles, and McHugh is reunited and boom.......shut down the top line AND added points. Sunday with a team that only has one line (but a great line), you don't leave that line together. Shade of Troy Smith........ Just don't get it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
From Brown's blog today:
It has been a busy week for Kitchener Rangers general manager Mike McKenzie.
The swaps, he says, had nothing to do with the team's recent slump that saw the club lose a winnable game to Erie and then get hammered by Niagara and Guelph, the latter of which he witnessed first-hand at the Sleeman Centre.
It's more a case of circumstances lining up to help the eighth-place club in the Ontario Hockey League's Western Conference remain competitive down the stretch.
"Our goal is to make the playoffs and we're going to do whatever it takes to help our team do that," said McKenzie.
"At this point in the season, we're not looking at going out and getting a guy that is going to cost a lot or chip away at our future assets," said McKenzie.
Also said Joey prefers to play on defense and the trade makes room for Arber Xhekaj a promising rookie defenseman to get more ice.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I agree 100%. Also, I'm not a big advocate of ripping the player because he wants to play defense. From the time he's come to Kitchener he has done nothing but bounce back-and-forth between forward and defence at the whim of the coaching staff.

He's done everything asked of him here in Kitchener. I don't believe that it's unreasonable for the player to request to play the position he wants to play with his future in mind. Every rookie camp he's been invited to has been as a defenseman. It's only logical to want to play defence if his future hopes are to play pro hockey.

This is junior hockey. Everybody knows that veteran players are sold at deadlines on non-contending teams in an effort to rebuild for the future. Joey knows this as does his family. Also, no doubt the same goes for the other veteran players we have on this team.

I'm pretty sure that the players would not really want to be traded or are really looking for a trade. But make no mistake, these players want to be part of a contending team. If they do not see this being a contending team this year and maybe even next year, then I am sure the player and the families would welcome a change to a contender.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm wondering if there is any word on whether Riley Damiani is going to be suspended for flipping the puck into the crowd yesterday. The reason I ask is because the OHL website has a suspension listed for somebody else as a result of an incident that happened yesterday but no mention of Damiani. Could it be that for some reason the league found a reason not to suspend?

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
What would that reason be? The goaltender from Flint flipped the puck into the crowd after a goal was scored against him and he was suspended for 5 games.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
What would that reason be? The goaltender from Flint flipped the puck into the crowd after a goal was scored against him and he was suspended for 5 games.

Good question. The only reason I could see is if some consideration is taken into account that he did not try to shoot it out but tried to shoot it into the top of the net. The only reason I bring it up is because apparently, Owen Tippit got away with a five gamer for flipping a puck to a fan. Even though it was just a foam puck. I hear he only got one game for that.

Also, as I said, the OHL website already has incidents from yesterday posted on its website. I expected to see Damiani 's name there today too.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Farwell tweeted Owen Tippet was suspended yesterday for flipping a foam puck over the boards to a kid. Their are a couple of posts on the Missy thread. Apparently they had a puck toss between periods and a kid threw his puck early and Tippet flipped it back to him with his stick. Got one game suspension I guess.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm not looking for a way for Damiani to get out of the suspension. He did a suspendable act. I'm looking for a reason way the five gamer isn't posted on the website when another incident that happened yesterday is.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'm not looking for a way for Damiani to get out of the suspension. He did a suspendable act. I'm looking for a reason way the five gamer isn't posted on the website when another incident that happened yesterday is.
True. They always seem to leave some teams in suspense. Reilly probably knows the rules better than most so if he did commit that infraction he will have to suffer the consequences.
Guess the office is closed on weekends. Probably still going over video.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
"Our goal is to make the playoffs and we're going to do whatever it takes to help our team do that," said McKenzie

Ummmm. No. Who cares if you make the playoffs. Sell the older players and get young players / draft picks. I’d rather watch a young team try and fail than watch this version of young / old player mix and continue to fail.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
"Our goal is to make the playoffs and we're going to do whatever it takes to help our team do that," said McKenzie

Ummmm. No. Who cares if you make the playoffs. Sell the older players and get young players / draft picks. I’d rather watch a young team try and fail than watch this version of young / old player mix and continue to fail.
MM will fire McKee to save himself. I am quite sure this will happen. The team wasn't prepared out of training camp. The coaches didn't allow for a competitive camp by making selections before. Again I was saying , before if kids are not performing bring in another kids and give them a chance. Then see how your guys who sat, perform? Its exactly what they do at the next level, which is what these kids aspire to. Correct? I think London is the most open minded of teams in this sense. They will bring in a lot of invites and let the kids move on to exhibition play to see how they perform. We has our final roster done before exhibition play in August. Mistake.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Is Weber Street still closed between the Aud [@Borden/Ottawa St] and Montgomery/Red Lobster/401??? And if so, any word on when construction will be completed? Thx

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Nelli Weber street is open in the areas you mentioned. They are trying to pave Weber street between Bordon and Cameron so they can open all 4 lanes again. The intersection at Bordon is open.

Reactions: nelli27

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
MM will fire McKee to save himself. I am quite sure this will happen. The team wasn't prepared out of training camp. The coaches didn't allow for a competitive camp by making selections before. Again I was saying , before if kids are not performing bring in another kids and give them a chance. Then see how your guys who sat, perform? Its exactly what they do at the next level, which is what these kids aspire to. Correct? I think London is the most open minded of teams in this sense. They will bring in a lot of invites and let the kids move on to exhibition play to see how they perform. We has our final roster done before exhibition play in August. Mistake.
Make trades for Suzuki and Tippet and you're right back in contention.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Make trades for Suzuki and Tippet and you're right back in contention.

We will need much more than those 2 to compete with the top teams in the league. That is the wrong idea. Need to sell anyone 19 or older that has value. Damiani would even be up for sell if we are getting a very solid 16 year old plus some picks back.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I agree. I also don't think that's about to happen unless an emergency.

I really dislike listening to Farwell's post game show because all he does is preach the company line most of the time. Today's takeaway

1. All is well. We're only at the 30 game mark. We're still going to finish in the middle of the standings.

2. Our scouting and coaching is fine. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater just because we're in a rough patch.

3. Joey G is going to play defense because that's the position he had his pro tryouts.

I'm done.

Well, I will say this. No matter how crazy those statements are, I guess you could say at least they're opinions.
On the other hand you have a guy on the Rogers broadcast vs North Bay stating that at an average age of 18.0 this is the youngest Rangers team in history - LOL. Thank goodness he was able to at least do the math correctly on this year's roster. I guess whatever it takes to make excuses for this year's results.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
MM will fire McKee to save himself. I am quite sure this will happen. The team wasn't prepared out of training camp.

I wouldn’t expect Jay has any worries, at least to this point, and MM likely has about the same job security as Dale Hunter … be it here or somewhere else tomorrow.

We seemed fairly well prepared to start the season going 4-0-2 or similar and appeared in early national rankings. It’s a down year so falling off that initial pace &/or last year's high level achievement and going through prolonged losing streaks and such is to be expected.

We has our final roster done before exhibition play in August.

I don’t see the lineup as being a forgone conclusion in August either Kenny; seems we have 6 rookies on the full roster including a 14th round pick and a FA plus we’ve added a Euro and 2 OAs since the season started. We had a surprise, compelling goalie option in Brock Baier at camp and a whack (18?) of FAs and hopeful prospects invited that ... right or wrong ... didn’t make the cut.

Who cares if you make the playoffs.

Stevie Bienkowski ... :help:

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
Is Weber Street still closed between the Aud [@Borden/Ottawa St] and Montgomery/Red Lobster/401??? And if so, any word on when construction will be completed? Thx

Nelli - there is a closure on Weber, between Montgomery and Ottawa. Just started today, there's a sign that says "Approx 3 days".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad