Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
MUCH better game tonight. Compete level was there. Keyser played a fantastic game in net for the Gennies and Richardson played well for us too.

This is the kind of game I thought we'd have more of this season, close and win or lose by a goal. At least we get a point.

Really impressed with Sebrango. Nice to see Cole Cameron play so well too.

I'm so miffed about the Damiani 5 game suspension. The league should take whether a player shot the puck in the crowd intentionally into consideration. Riley didn't do it intentionally it was a rolling puck that he thought would go in he net. It cleared the netting. Complete fluke.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Great game tonight, swings of momentum and some genuine dislike between some former teammates.

Perhaps part of the reason for demanding the trade was that he was miffed that Vukojevic got the prime assignment of playing with Stanley through most of the playoffs.

Maybe he though he should have been given the opportunity.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm so miffed about the Damiani 5 game suspension. The league should take whether a player shot the puck in the crowd intentionally into consideration. Riley didn't do it intentionally it was a rolling puck that he thought would go in he net. It cleared the netting. Complete fluke.

All about legalities. Because of the incident in Columbus with the little girl, the netting went up around the league and the 5 game rule was brought in at that time or shortly after. Branch was afraid of a possible lawsuit.

The argument that he "didn't do it on purpose" is no argument in regards to this rule. Bottom line, you shoot the puck out you're getting 5 games. It's as automatic as automatic gets in this league. The second Damiani did it I knew he was getting the five games.

I remember a Mississauga player years ago flipped a puck to a fan at the end of a period and got the five games. This was shortly after the rule was instituted.

Last edited:

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Perhaps part of the reason for demanding the trade was that he was miffed that Vukojevic got the prime assignment of playing with Stanley through most of the playoffs.

Maybe he though he should have been given the opportunity.

That’d be unfortunate because I thought he anchored our second pair throughout the playoffs. Which is much more impressive then riding shotgun to Stanley.

Maybe I’m old school. But if you don’t like it, play better. It’s really that simple. Not that I dislike him, I own his warmup jersey from his rookie year.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That’d be unfortunate because I thought he anchored our second pair throughout the playoffs. Which is much more impressive then riding shotgun to Stanley.

Maybe I’m old school. But if you don’t like it, play better. It’s really that simple. Not that I dislike him, I own his warmup jersey from his rookie year.

Too bad he asked to be traded at all. At the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned, we didn't get fair market value for this asset. Two 2nds and two 3rds??

For a former OHL first round pick who was NHL drafted with two more years plus a possible OA season remaining in the league? The Generals made out like bandits on this one.

I'd expect at least that return for him at the deadline - not this deadline either, the next one in 2020. By then he'll be a quality top pairing D and Oshawa will have had an extra year and a half service out of him.

But I get it, he asked out and when that happens, you don't always get market value.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Too bad he asked to be traded at all. At the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned, we didn't get fair market value for this asset. Two 2nds and two 3rds??

For a former OHL first round pick who was NHL drafted with two more years plus a possible OA season remaining in the league? The Generals made out like bandits on this one.

I'd expect at least that return for him at the deadline - not this deadline either, the next one in 2020. By then he'll be a quality top pairing D and Oshawa will have had an extra year and a half service out of him.

But I get it, he asked out and when that happens, you don't always get market value.
I agree it's too bad Vallati left the team. Kid has talent and would have been our most skilled Dman even if Hall remained healthy.
Guess we will never really know the reason. Not sure what sparked the Rangers in the third. They seemed to go on s mission. If they played with that energy the whole game it would have been over early.
I thought Richy played well. He did have 40 shots directed at him. Just couldn't understand all the praise the radio boys gave the Oshawa goalie post game. Everyone sees a different game.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I thought Richy played well. He did have 40 shots directed at him. Just couldn't understand all the praise the radio boys gave the Oshawa goalie post game. Everyone sees a different game.

My conspiracy leaning mind says the Rangers are a propaganda machine that spoon feeds the radio and TV guys the message they want sent. I think Brown does a decent job keeping an arms length away as he even drives himself to all the games. That said it's certainly nice the boys played well enough that they could play up the beaten by a hot goalie angle.

Reactions: bobber and Gondrex

rexdale

Mar 3, 2018
Rangers do a great job with their camps. The rookie camp includes a high tech experience for draftees and any invited players. They run computerize coloured lights for lack of a better term where it measures speed and other aspects of each players performance. There are only so many spots open in a given year and the management has to decide who takes them. Usually the first and second rounder are there. Doesn't usually leave much room for changes to the roster. On a side note I think Campbell is a fairly fast skater. Just has no size and therefore became expendable by the Attack as an OA. Third line player at best on a decent team IMO. I agree SYWTom that our number one pick should always get priority over these older players in a rebuild year.[/QUOTE

rexdale

Mar 3, 2018
Rangers do a great job with their camps. The rookie camp includes a high tech experience for draftees and any invited players. They run computerize coloured lights for lack of a better term where it measures speed and other aspects of each players performance. There are only so many spots open in a given year and the management has to decide who takes them. Usually the first and second rounder are there. Doesn't usually leave much room for changes to the roster. On a side note I think Campbell is a fairly fast skater. Just has no size and therefore became expendable by the Attack as an OA. Third line player at best on a decent team IMO. I agree SYWTom that our number one pick should always get priority over these older players in a rebuild year.
Bobber I didn't realize camp was about having a Dave and Buster's experience. Maybe it should be about who can play the GAME. Hate to tell you but the high tech and colored lights won't help you in that department.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
High Tech tools are part of hockey today. They provide great information on speed and agility, two things you need to play the game.

I think Bobber was making a statement about the quality of the camp and being realistic in the number of people you bring to the camp by being focused more on quality not quantity.

Reactions: bobber and Gondrex

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

You don't think Keyser played a huge part in Oshawa winning that game last night?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Eric Guest being shopped is the rumour. Better be a whole lot more than Guest being shopped if this team is ever going to have success in the future. Going to need a bunch of draft picks / young players to have a real shot in a couple years. How much can you really get for an 18 year old who has 2 goals this season?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You don't think Keyser played a huge part in Oshawa winning that game last night?
Not saying Keyser wasn't good in net. Saying Richardson kept it close for the Rangers who are just terrible in front of him on a game basis. Are you saying that the Gens were outplayed by the lowly Rangers? Gens are a far better structured team than what we are seeing here in Ktown.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Eric Guest being shopped is the rumour. Better be a whole lot more than Guest being shopped if this team is ever going to have success in the future. Going to need a bunch of draft picks / young players to have a real shot in a couple years. How much can you really get for an 18 year old who has 2 goals this season?
I think young Guest needs a change of scenery and a fresh start. Too many small forwards on the Rangers and it doesn't bode well going forward.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Not saying Keyser wasn't good in net. Saying Richardson kept it close for the Rangers who are just terrible in front of him on a game basis. Are you saying that the Gens were outplayed by the lowly Rangers? Gens are a far better structured team than what we are seeing here in Ktown.

No that’s what you’re saying.

I was just wondering why you couldn’t believe that the radio guys were praising Keyser, I thought he was pretty good. 4/4 on breakaways last night, including the one in OT right before the Noel goal

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014

Eric has been pushed down time and time again. Terrified of making a mistake. He's never been given any vote of confidence and it's a terrible misuse of a talent IMO.

I alluded to this trade needing to happen last year but he stuck it out hoping for perhaps a coaching change. There also was not a market for him then, and theres no reason to think there will be now. Ever since an incident in his rookie year, he's been pushed down time and time again and never gotten out from under that rock.

Injuries of course haven't helped.
Real shame

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Guest has shown flashes of real skill. Last year he took a back seat when Smith, Brown and Sherwood were brought in.

A change of scenery would do him good. May have to work on his physical game though.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Eric has been pushed down time and time again. Terrified of making a mistake. He's never been given any vote of confidence and it's a terrible misuse of a talent IMO.

I alluded to this trade needing to happen last year but he stuck it out hoping for perhaps a coaching change. There also was not a market for him then, and theres no reason to think there will be now. Ever since an incident in his rookie year, he's been pushed down time and time again and never gotten out from under that rock.

Injuries of course haven't helped.
Real shame

OHLinsider

Do you think the rangers will sell everything off or does the money from 2 playoff games this year (before they get swept) have too much importance to the Rangers?

Meireles, Yantsis, McHugh, Gareffa, Gentles, etc....anything on them being shopped. Rangers are going to be 4th to 8th place the next 4 years if they don’t make the decision to sell off good assests this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad