Signing(s): Kirk Cousins to Minnesota

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The Packers defense is good and they overwhelmed the Vikings OL for most of the game but Cousins didn't make the plays even when he had time and a relatively clean pocket. The Vikings left some big plays on the field because Cousins couldn't get it done, again. A few examples:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Solid players can have bad games. I know, it's shocking.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It's frustrating to be a fan of a team that hasn't had a legit top 10 Qb in the league in the past 3 decades outside of 1 year of Favre, 1 year of Cunningham and a couple seasons of Culpepper. In his 15 years with the team, Spielman has proven he is incapable of recognizing and drafting a great QB. His teams have been all over the place - awful, middling and occasionally good. There has never been any sustained period of greatness...not even sustained goodness really, under his watch.

Jeff George was certainly a top 10 QB that year he was a #1 in Minny and Moon had that big year for Vikes as well

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Solid players can have bad games. I know, it's shocking.

You claimed he was under pressure all game and talked up the Packers defense. I just gave you examples of him not being under pressure and the Vikings receivers running wide open downfield.

He's a solid QB but also an overrated one, who constantly comes up short in important moments.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm mean Culpepper, kind of was, and then his knee exploded and Bridgewater may have been that guy and almost lost his leg.

But other than them in my 20+ years as a fan it's been mostly older vet stopgaps (Moon, Cunningham, George, Favre) average* guys (Cousins, Johnson x2, Cassel, Bradford), and draft busts (Jackson, Ponder, Bridgewater**). Even if you go back further and include every year post-Tarkenton it's been the same thing pretty much.

*Not to mention the fill ins (Bouman, Wynn, Frerotte x2, Holcomb, Bollinger, Webb, Freeman, Keenum)
**injury "bust"

I just named 21 different starting QBs since 1996, 23 if you count the Johnson and Frerotte reduxs as 'different'.

Reactions: Avs_19

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm mean Culpepper, kind of was, and then his knee exploded and Bridgewater may have been that guy and almost lost his leg.

But other than them in my 20+ years as a fan it's been mostly older vet stopgaps (Moon, Cunningham, George, Favre) average* guys (Cousins, Johnson x2, Cassel, Bradford), and draft busts (Jackson, Ponder, Bridgewater**). Even if you go back further and include every year post-Tarkenton it's been the same thing pretty much.

*Not to mention the fill ins (Bouman, Wynn, Frerotte x2, Holcomb, Bollinger, Webb, Freeman, Keenum)
**injury "bust"

I just named 21 different starting QBs since 1996, 23 if you count the Johnson and Frerotte reduxs as 'different'.

Miami had about 30 years of franchise QB play minus a stop gap of David Woodley.
New York Jets have been starving for a franchise QB since Namath.

Before last year, Kansas City was a stop gap of QB futility then Mahomes changed the whole perspective.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

**injury "bust"

So rough of you to see quality QB's come thru you city including multiple pro bowlers :rolleyes:

Let me give you a rundown of the QB's I have watched play for my beloved Bears since I started watching as kid

Jim Harbaugh
Mike Tomczak
Peter Tom Willis
Will Furrer
Steve Walsh
Erik Kramer
Dave Krieg
Steve Stenstrom
Shane Matthews
Rick Mirer (We traded a 1st round pick for him to throw 6 INT's and no TD's)
Moses Moreno
Jim Miller
Cade McNown
Chris Chandler
Henry Burris
Corey Sauter
Kordell Stewart
Rex Grossman
Chad Hutchinson
Craig Krenzel
Jonathan Quinn
Kyle Orton
Jeff Blake
Brian Griese
Jay Cutler
Caleb Hanie
Todd Collins
Josh McCown
Jason Campbell
Jimmy Clausen
Matt Barkley
Brian Hoyer
David Fales
Mike Glennon
Mitchell Trubisky
Chase Daniel

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

**injury "bust"

But they only had the "good/elite" version of Culpepper for 4/5 years, which is what my point was.

They haven't had a Roethilisberger, Eli Manning, Rivers, Ryan etc type of guy. I listed them because its not easy to get yourself a Brady or Rodgers type, but other teams have had success in drafting long term QBs and the Vikes have been this graveyard.

Even with all his faults, Stafford is a solid, dependable QB who the Lions have been able to rely on for a decade now. The Lions!

Worst part is, they clearly aren't interested in rebuilding so it will be a while before they can try and draft a franchise passer...... again.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
(...)
Even with all his faults, Stafford is a solid, dependable QB who the Lions have been able to rely on for a decade now. The Lions!

(...)
It took a historically bad season for the Lions to get Stafford. Please be a little bit gracious to them!

Gruß,
BSHH

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
So rough of you to see quality QB's come thru you city including multiple pro bowlers :rolleyes:

Let me give you a rundown of the QB's I have watched play for my beloved Bears since I started watching as kid

Jim Harbaugh
Mike Tomczak
Peter Tom Willis
Will Furrer
Steve Walsh
Erik Kramer
Dave Krieg
Steve Stenstrom
Shane Matthews
Rick Mirer (We traded a 1st round pick for him to throw 6 INT's and no TD's)
Moses Moreno
Jim Miller
Cade McNown
Chris Chandler
Henry Burris
Corey Sauter
Kordell Stewart
Rex Grossman
Chad Hutchinson
Craig Krenzel
Jonathan Quinn
Kyle Orton
Jeff Blake
Brian Griese
Jay Cutler
Caleb Hanie
Todd Collins
Josh McCown
Jason Campbell
Jimmy Clausen
Matt Barkley
Brian Hoyer
David Fales
Mike Glennon
Mitchell Trubisky
Chase Daniel

Not gonna pretend there aren't teams who had it worse. But it's still pretty bad and even the Pro Bowlers (other than Culpepper) were pretty much one and done.

But they only had the "good/elite" version of Culpepper for 4/5 years, which is what my point was.

They haven't had a Roethilisberger, Eli Manning, Rivers, Ryan etc type of guy. I listed them because its not easy to get yourself a Brady or Rodgers type, but other teams have had success in drafting long term QBs and the Vikes have been this graveyard.

Worst part is, they clearly aren't interested in rebuilding so it will be a while before they can try and draft a franchise passer...... again.

Yea, I was kind of agreeing with you. They just can't get that guy and when it looks they do his knee explodes. And it's funny it's that the coaches change, the Front Office changes and even the owner changed and it seems it's always the same story with the Vikings.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Has it been that long? Holy, he's their starter for 11 years now.
As much as we rag on the Detroit Lions and their futility, Stafford has turned out to be a solid franchise QB for them..for good and bad.

Minnesota and Chicago have been a QB graveyard for years.
I for sure thought Culpepper would be the guy for the Vikings then he blew out his knee..

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As much as we rag on the Detroit Lions and their futility, Stafford has turned out to be a solid franchise QB for them..for good and bad.

Minnesota and Chicago have been a QB graveyard for years.
I for sure thought Culpepper would be the guy for the Vikings then he blew out his knee..

Then Miami chose him over Brees :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Frustration levels are getting higher in Minnesota and a lot of it is pointing in one direction.....

Reactions: Roman Fell

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Stafford is easily the best QB in my lifetime as a Lions fan. He's not Tom Brady or Drew Brees but place him on a better franchise and the narrative might be a bit different. Those first two years were just bad luck injuries.

Frustration levels are getting higher in Minnesota and a lot of it is pointing in one direction.....

Thielen sure runs his mouth a lot.

The mistake Minnesota made was believing they were one player away. In reality they were one horrible gaff away from losing in the divisional playoff after a first round bye. Then were curbstomped by Philadelphia and their backup QB the next week.

Keenum wasn't the answer, has bounced around since and has now been benched by the awful Washington Racial Slurs. Which just so happens to be the former home of Cousins. Who, while a bit better than Keenum, doesn't look like the answer either.

Sep 19, 2008
Stafford is easily the best QB in my lifetime as a Lions fan. He's not Tom Brady or Drew Brees but place him on a better franchise and the narrative might be a bit different. Those first two years were just bad luck injuries.

Thielen sure runs his mouth a lot.

The mistake Minnesota made was believing they were one player away. In reality they were one horrible gaff away from losing in the divisional playoff after a first round bye. Then were curbstomped by Philadelphia and their backup QB the next week.

Keenum wasn't the answer, has bounced around since and has now been benched by the awful Washington Racial Slurs. Which just so happens to be the former home of Cousins. Who, while a bit better than Keenum, doesn't look like the answer either.

Agree with everything except calling them Racial Slurs. You'd be amazed how often said term is used in the US for local HS football teams without issue.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
MIN/Spielman got excited after their defence had a great year and gave Cousins a fully guaranteed deal.

Sucks for them because it's going to be impossible to cut him; the dead cap hit would probably be ginormous with every dollar being guaranteed.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's kind of a nightmare for fit. Cousins worst attribute is probably his pocket presence and the Vikings also have the worst O-line in the league. Even when they try to address it it blows up in their face. Their 1st round pick Center has easily graded out as the worst center in the league so far.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
People already talking as if Cousins is one of the worst FA signings in league history.

I argue it's hard to top the disasters we've seen since the advent of FA like Hanyesworth, Rison, etc. The way he's playing though, he'll certainly be on the list.

(I personally think nothing tops Hanyesworth)

Reactions: Roman Fell

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
People already talking as if Cousins is one of the worst FA signings in league history.

I argue it's hard to top the disasters we've seen since the advent of FA like Hanyesworth, Rison, etc. The way he's playing though, he'll certainly be on the list.

Alvin Harper being signed to be a #1 WR by Bucs turned out to be terrible move and ranks up there

Sep 19, 2008

He was paid a shitload and has not performed up to expectation.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010

I don't know if I could make one list, I think there'd be one for worst FA QB signings and then one for other players
for QBs you've got Matt Flynn, Osweiler, Kerry Collins, Neil O'Donnell for sure on there, off the top of my head. Cousins isn't nearly as bad as some of those guys, not yet at least

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Cousins is painfully average. My only defense of the signing was that Vikings really had no choice. Keenum was a fluke/flash in the pan and everyone knew it, Bradford had no knees, and you didn't know if Bridgewater would be the same after the injury and he hasn't looked it in a few starts with the Saints.

The contract is bad, but the Jets even offered MORE money than he took from the Vikings. It was just the going rate for "not awful" and it was been passed with every QB contract since. Thank God it was only a 3 year deal.

The OL is atrocious and Cousins is very gun shy, missing open WRs for check downs just cause he wants to get the ball out fast and has no pocket presence. Reminds me a lot of Bradford when he was there actually. Only he fumbles more.

They'll go 8-8 again, Zimmer will get fired, maybe Spielman too and the new GM/coach will try to move Cousins for whatever they can get and start anew with their own guy. I'm sure there will be some team dumb and desperate enough to take him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad