Signing(s): Kirk Cousins to Minnesota

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Uh huh. They've won it two out of the last three years. Now they'll have a QB. And Cook will be healthy. And that defense is still top notch.

The Packers are heading in the wrong direction.

Nailed it about the Packers. Well done.

Didn't realize it was only a 3 year deal. I thought it was 4.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nothing that happened this season changed my mind from my first post in this thread. He's a big upgrade over the real Case Keenum but he's one of those QBs who needs a nearly perfect situation. He wasn't able to make up for the issues around him because he's not a QB who can make those around him better. I was certainly wrong about the OL being fine though.

He's such a tease too. There were some games and individual throws he made that had me starting to believe throughout the season but in the end, he is who he is. Maybe it's the Vikings homer in me but I still think they can be competitive with him at QB but they need to improve the supporting cast even more, especially on the OL.

This is going to be interesting. I think he's a big upgrade but that's a ton of money for someone I don't believe is an elite QB who makes those around him a lot better. Good thing for the Vikings is that they already have one of the best WR duos in the NFL, a good TE, a returning Dalvin Cook, a fine OL, and a great defense. All of the pieces are in place for Cousins to do well.

I would've preferred going with a cheaper option and then building an even better team around him. Hopefully they'll still be able to lock up the young talent they've drafted.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nothing that happened this season changed my mind from my first post in this thread. He's a big upgrade over the real Case Keenum but he's one of those QBs who needs a nearly perfect situation. He wasn't able to make up for the issues around him because he's not a QB who can make those around him better. I was certainly wrong about the OL being fine though.

He's such a tease too. There were some games and individual throws he made that had me starting to believe throughout the season but in the end, he is who he is. Maybe it's the Vikings homer in me but I still think they can be competitive with him at QB but they need to improve the supporting cast even more, especially on the OL.

Nothing having the offensive coordinator Zimmer wanted should be part of the equation as well. Hand the guy $84M and don't even get the guy you wanted calling the plays, who was instead trying to have his hard in justifying the contract.

Reactions: Avs_19

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Hahaha, WRONG AGAIN

Would it really surprise anyone if the Bears regressed next year either?

Cousins is an upgrade over Case Keenum. But no way in hell after the contract he received. One can argue, despite records, that the Vikings are the most disappointing team in the entire league.

Problem for Minnesota is that a marquee QB never hits free agency unless they are injured(Brees) or at the end of the line(Manning and Favre). Worked out for Denver and Minnesota came close. Just not close enough.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Eh they have time to right the ship. Year one was a failure, but the majority of that core is locked up for at minimum the next two years.

It'll be interesting if much of anything comes from that squabble he had with his recievers. There were rumblings of Cousins being a dink in Washington but it was hard to tell how factual it is since their media is essentially bought and paid for by Synder.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Would it really surprise anyone if the Bears regressed next year either?

Cousins is an upgrade over Case Keenum. But no way in hell after the contract he received. One can argue, despite records, that the Vikings are the most disappointing team in the entire league.

Problem for Minnesota is that a marquee QB never hits free agency unless they are injured(Brees) or at the end of the line(Manning and Favre). Worked out for Denver and Minnesota came close. Just not close enough.

Bears will be a prime regression candidate. Texans and Colts too.

Reactions: Voight

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Teams that win a lot of one score games tend to have them break the other way. Look at the Eagles this year or the Oakland Raiders in 2017-2018.

Fair enough.

I’d be curious to see the numbers on that from team to team on a year by year basis.

Given the age of the roster and the new head coach, I’d like to hope this team only gets better and better.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Fair enough.

I’d be curious to see the numbers on that from team to team on a year by year basis.

Given the age of the roster and the new head coach, I’d like to hope this team only gets better and better.

It all depends on Trubisky and if they can retain Fangio. Plus a lot of guys on defense are having career years. Oh another team that regressed was Pittsburgh.

NFL Close Game Analytics: How "Lucky" Wins (or Losses) Predict Future Season Success - Optimum Scouting

Reactions: Reality Check

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It all depends on Trubisky and if they can retain Fangio. Plus a lot of guys on defense are having career years. Oh another team that regressed was Pittsburgh.

Trubisky has made huge strides this season alone, I think he continues to improve.

Fangio is a huge part of this teams success, but he’s also 60+ years old and didn’t get a HC gig last year. I’m not certain at this point he gets a HC gig anywhere.

Who do you think is having a career year that will never reach that level again?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Trubisky has made huge strides this season alone, I think he continues to improve.

Fangio is a huge part of this teams success, but he’s also 60+ years old and didn’t get a HC gig last year. I’m not certain at this point he gets a HC gig anywhere.

Who do you think is having a career year that will never reach that level again?

Kyle Fuller and Eddie Jackson.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

It's more of a question if some guys can repeat what they've done this season. Defense is pretty legit and I'd have no problem giving Mack co-DPOY. If not the recognition altogether.

Onus is going to be on Chicago's offense to improve. Regardless of the division.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Kyle Fuller and Eddie Jackson.

Kyle Fuller was very good last year and has been very good this year. I don’t see any reason to expect a significant decline on his end.

Eddie Jackson is still very young so hard to say what will happen to him. He’s been very consistent game to game, though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bears will be a prime regression candidate. Texans and Colts too.

Very possible. NFC North plays the NFC East next season. As the division winner, the Bears would play the Rams and Saints as the first place schedule, which is a much different scenario than a 4th place schedule.

I believe that the rotation for the NFC North would be the AFC West next season. They got the South in 2016, the North in 2017 and the East this year. So, they get the Chiefs and Chargers.

I think the Bears should be in the mix for the playoffs, but they will soon need Trubisky to take his game up another notch. A great defence can only last so long due to contracts, so need to make waves now and next season.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Kyle Fuller was very good last year and has been very good this year. I don’t see any reason to expect a significant decline on his end.

Eddie Jackson is still very young so hard to say what will happen to him. He’s been very consistent game to game, though.

You expect 8 interceptions out of Kyle Fuller every year?

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Very possible. NFC North plays the NFC East next season. As the division winner, the Bears would play the Rams and Saints as the first place schedule, which is a much different scenario than a 4th place schedule.

I believe that the rotation for the NFC North would be the AFC West next season. They got the South in 2016, the North in 2017 and the East this year. So, they get the Chiefs and Chargers.

I think the Bears should be in the mix for the playoffs, but they will soon need Trubisky to take his game up another notch. A great defence can only last so long due to contracts, so need to make waves now and next season.
4th place schedule is overrated. It's 2 games on your schedule. And the Bears lost one of them.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Thought he had 6.

But no I wouldn’t expect 8, but I’d still expect great coverage. I don’t think the drop off in his play will be that significant if he only intercepted 4-5 passes vs 8 if his coverage as a whole remains the same.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

Keenum was successful last year, not only because of Shurmur's play calling but because he wasn't afraid to let his 2 elite receivers make a play. Cousins wants guys to be 5 yards open waiting for the perfect play. He's also not as mobile so was a sitting duck behind the trash OL. Elflein wasn't as good as last year and Compton and Remmers were 2 of the worst Guards in the league this year. Who would have thought we'd miss Nick freakin Easton? Are things much different had they just went with Keenum? I think we're still looking at a similar record. Maybe they get in the playoffs, but they would have been 1 and done.

I was never excited about getting Cousins' but they didn't have much of a choice. Keenum was a flash in the pan, team was built to win now so you couldn't take a change on Teddy and you'd be better off having an actual statue than Bradford. Cousins' 2 best games were games they didn't even win the loss to the Rams and the tie against GB.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
cousins has consistently fooled people into thinking that he's a good QB when in reality he's pretty much the best mediocre QB in the NFL

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Thought he had 6.

But no I wouldn’t expect 8, but I’d still expect great coverage. I don’t think the drop off in his play will be that significant if he only intercepted 4-5 passes vs 8 if his coverage as a whole remains the same.

He had 7.

Anyways, Fuller was very good last year and went from the Bears not picking up his 5th year to them matching the offer from GB. He's a good player now, who also benefits like the entire secondary, from the dominant pass rush the Bears have. I'm not sure I'd expect him to have 7 picks again, but I expect this level of play from him going forward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->