Signing(s): Kirk Cousins to Minnesota

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Cousins is painfully average. My only defense of the signing was that Vikings really had no choice. Keenum was a fluke/flash in the pan and everyone knew it, Bradford had no knees, and you didn't know if Bridgewater would be the same after the injury and he hasn't looked it in a few starts with the Saints.

The contract is bad, but the Jets even offered MORE money than he took from the Vikings. It was just the going rate for "not awful" and it was been passed with every QB contract since. Thank God it was only a 3 year deal.

The OL is atrocious and Cousins is very gun shy, missing open WRs for check downs just cause he wants to get the ball out fast and has no pocket presence. Reminds me a lot of Bradford when he was there actually. Only he fumbles more.

They'll go 8-8 again, Zimmer will get fired, maybe Spielman too and the new GM/coach will try to move Cousins for whatever they can get and start anew with their own guy. I'm sure there will be some team dumb and desperate enough to take him.
Thing with Cousins is he's actually pretty consistently good with deep balls and he gives you the ability to have those big plays or big games. I think the thought was that they didn't just need a game manager, and have a QB that could actually push the boundary and take advantage of those great wide receivers. It's kind of backfired because the mistakes really take away from anything good he ends up doing.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
He looks awful this year, much worse than how he looked last year overall.
It all seems to be his mental game, as his pocket awareness is all over the placing going from absolute zero awareness to pressure to looking shell shocked and being too worried about his protection that his read progression goes to Christian Ponder levels.

It's embarrassing to see him check down to a fullback when Diggs/Thielen are usually open. He seems to have lost all confidence since the terrible endzone interception in week 2 against the Packers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cousins’s contract isn’t long enough to be one of the worst contracts IMO
Length doesn’t play too much into it since nfl deals are not fully guaranteed. Teams can cut guys with 3 years left depending on structure of the deal and take a minimal cap hit.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Cousins’s contract isn’t long enough to be one of the worst contracts IMO
Length doesn’t play too much into it since nfl deals are not fully guaranteed. Teams can cut guys with 3 years left depending on structure of the deal and take a minimal cap hit.
Exactly. In terms of guaranteed money it's absolutely one of the worst deals.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Should the VIkings miss the playoffs and finish 8-8 I really hope they not only can the coach but also Spielman as he has had ample opportunity to fix the o-line and find a long-term solution at QB. He has failed up to this point. It's clear the guy is not capable of putting together a legit superbowl contender.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Credit where credit is due, he has been playing great since that Bears debacle. We'll see if he can keep it up against better competition in the weeks to come.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Vikings offensive line has played substantially better lately, coinciding with smart play calling that limits their weaknesses.

That's been a huge reason for the change, but yes Kirk has definitely been great lately too. He's shown a complete 180 in his confidence of himself in making throws.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016

Credit where credit is due, he has been playing great since that Bears debacle. We'll see if he can keep it up against better competition in the weeks to come.

This is something that has struck me about Cousins' career. His critics are quick & harsh (after Cousins' bad games), but are conspicuously absent (or reserved in praise) after his good games.

Do u remember this inconsistent reporting was (assumed) what triggered Cousins' You Like That bark at the media (back in Washington).
1000 yards, 10 TDs, 1 pick over the 3 weeks is a good run.
Lamar Jackson throws for 180 yards, and the same hypocrites in the media (& face painted cretins in the stands), will slavishly celebrate Jackson's progress as a pro style QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSHH

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Too inconsistent.

That's the media narrative.. but Cousins currently has the 4th highest completion % (69.8), and has the highest average yard per completion (9.1). So he's consistently connecting passes, and it's not little dump-offs, etc. Minnesota is 5-2.

Cousins isn't Brady, but I think his short-comings are overstated by a hostile media. He is averaging more yards per pass than Mahomes & Wentz.. has thrown more TDs than Watson & Prescott. But all we hear is the mantra of inconsistency & disappointment.
What would u consider his failings or inconsistency thru 2019 (?) I think the lack of passing in the first few weeks was more coaching staff' play calling, but I'm not sure..

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's funny that despite all the negativity surrounding him, at the halfway point of the season he sits at 3rd in the NFL for QB rating behind Wilson and Mahomes.

Sep 19, 2008
That's the media narrative.. but Cousins currently has the 4th highest completion % (69.8), and has the highest average yard per completion (9.1). So he's consistently connecting passes, and it's not little dump-offs, etc. Minnesota is 5-2.

Cousins isn't Brady, but I think his short-comings are overstated by a hostile media. He is averaging more yards per pass than Mahomes & Wentz.. has thrown more TDs than Watson & Prescott. But all we hear is the mantra of inconsistency & disappointment.
What would u consider his failings or inconsistency thru 2019 (?) I think the lack of passing in the first few weeks was more coaching staff' play calling, but I'm not sure..
He's a fantasy qb. He can't win big games.

Vs Giants

Vs bears

Etc

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
He's a fantasy qb. He can't win big games.

In Cousins' defense, there weren't a lot of 'big' game opportunities his years in Washington. But he did engineer their greatest (point deficit) comeback in franchise history.
He's only been in MN for a year & change, so I also think it's premature to fairly evaluate his clutch value, tho he does have a winning record as a starter.
Also think it's strange to dismiss/denigrate his good statistical performances, simply bcuz he's not winning THE big game. Watson & Jackson, are currently celebrated for good regular season performance, but not denigrated as just Fantasy QBs (?)
This to me is part of the psy-op against pocket passers. If a pocket passer isn't living up to a Brady standard he's denigrated.. My takeaway from your post: bcuz Cousins hasn't won a Super Bowl, he's essentially just a Fantasy fraud. I view this as a slander against pocket passers, that is being endlessly & covertly advanced by partisan sports media. At least Earl Campbell had the honesty to put the true objective/desire in to direct terms recently..

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
In Cousins' defense, there weren't a lot of 'big' game opportunities his years in Washington. But he did engineer their greatest (point deficit) comeback in franchise history.
He's only been in MN for a year & change, so I also think it's premature to fairly evaluate his clutch value, tho he does have a winning record as a starter.
Also think it's strange to dismiss/denigrate his good statistical performances, simply bcuz he's not winning THE big game. Watson & Jackson, are currently celebrated for good regular season performance, but not denigrated as just Fantasy QBs (?)
This to me is part of the psy-op against pocket passers. If a pocket passer isn't living up to a Brady standard he's denigrated.. My takeaway from your post: bcuz Cousins hasn't won a Super Bowl, he's essentially just a Fantasy fraud. I view this as a slander against pocket passers, that is being endlessly & covertly advanced by partisan sports media. At least Earl Campbell had the honesty to put the true objective/desire in to direct terms recently..
Figures the guy calling Cam scam still will defend Cousins to death and the only reason the Skins ever won against the Bucs that game is because of bad officiating taking away a TD from the Bucs when Evans was called for pass interference even though the defender was the only one interfering.

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
Cousins struggles in prime time as well as his inability to win clutch games (see last year Bears) are just a few of his faults. Don't forget that guy turns the ball over like mad.

He is being paid like he is Tom Brady.

He's not.

He's not even top 5 QB in the league.

His ceiling is average to above average. He's okay. He has these streaks where he's red hot and then he disappears and cools down. He is maddenly inconsistent.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27911656/you-you-real-kirk-cousins

This Cousins plays into why the Vikings signed him in the first place. But the Redskins knew this version of Cousins, too -- the one who outperformed his shortcomings in bursts, only to regress toward the mean.
It's part of why Washington didn't view Cousins, who was 24-23-1 as a full-time starter over three seasons, as the long-term answer at quarterback. The dilemma Cousins has encountered throughout his career is rooted in stability, having to answer whether these extended windows of great play are for real and a sign of what's to come on a consistent basis, or an outlier that's eventually going to even out with some bad games.
No one knows that better than the Redskins, who experienced the peaks and valleys with Cousins that included stretches of greatness that weren't sustainable.
"When you're 7-9, you know it's hard to say, 'Wow, this guy really was outstanding,'" former Redskins coach Jay Gruden said after the 2017 season. "Kirk had his flashes where he was really good. From a consistent standpoint, over the course of 16 games, you know we're 7-9.
"He did some great things, threw for over 4,000 yards and 29 touchdowns. I think he's a very, very good quarterback without a doubt, but as far as getting us over the hump from 7-9 to winning a division with all the injuries that we had, I think he competed and did some good things."

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He also faltered against the Giants in week 17 or 2016 when with a win at home and they were in. He just wont get it done when the stage is biggest. Good enough to get you to the playoffs but nothing more than that right now. Probably between the 11-15th QB in the league.

Sep 19, 2008
He also faltered against the Giants in week 17 or 2016 when with a win at home and they were in. He just wont get it done when the stage is biggest. Good enough to get you to the playoffs but nothing more than that right now. Probably between the 11-15th QB in the league.
Even Wentz and foles better than COUSINS

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Where's the talk? This guy is literally the most ripped apart player in the league yet he's 0.1 behind Wilson for QB rating at the very top of the leagye. He's more or less playing perfect football in the 8 wins the Vikings have, yet no one has mentioned his name as even a slight contender for MVP, instead ripping him apart for the Chicago and Green Bay games and going with Cook on the Vikings for MVP talk, despite the Vikings picking up a few wins with him being completely contained in the run game. Never seen someone so unfairly criticized. You can say all you want about his play in the past, but he's stepped up in big moments since that Bears game, and has been playing lights out since.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Where's the talk? This guy is literally the most ripped apart player in the league yet he's 0.1 behind Wilson for QB rating at the very top of the leagye. He's more or less playing perfect football in the 8 wins the Vikings have, yet no one has mentioned his name as even a slight contender for MVP, instead ripping him apart for the Chicago and Green Bay games and going with Cook on the Vikings for MVP talk, despite the Vikings picking up a few wins with him being completely contained in the run game. Never seen someone so unfairly criticized. You can say all you want about his play in the past, but he's stepped up in big moments since that Bears game, and has been playing lights out since.
You're confused about the purpose of this thread. It's for trashing Cousins after he plays terrible.
Can't trash him if he's not playing terrible, so no wonder no one's talking about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad