Signing(s): Kirk Cousins to Minnesota

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm not too excited about this. Yes Cousins is a Top 10-15 QB, but 28m is a ton and I fear what it means for Barr, Kendricks, Waynes, Hunter and Diggs in the future. Probably going to lose at least 2 of them now. They pretty much have to win this year.

Then again I'm cynical towards pretty much everything the Vikings do and they've never given me a reason not to be.

I probably would have went with Teddy and someone like McCown as insurance. I'd like to see Teddy stick around as the backup but I think he heads to the Cards, Bills or Jets now. Bradford probably ends up with one of those teams too.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Looks like the plan is 3 years at 84 million for Cousins, fully guaranteed. Vikings sure as hell making a decent investment to say the least if it is finalized.

Not really thrilled to see Cousins & Aaron Rodgers in the NFC North.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Sounds kile he is handcuffed to the furnature and the Viks won't let him leave till he signs.
It will also be the first ever fully guaranteed contract.
If so it will make future signings interesting.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
A Super Bowl is the expectation now in the next 3 years, fair or not. I personally think what we're paying him is worth it for two reasons - finally solidifying the QB revolving door, and the Vikings' window is now.

Glad to have him. I feel bad for Keenum, that the MN staff basically never acted like he was legit or acted like they wanted him long term. In the end, he gets paid just fine. Just kinda sucks he was never fully appreciated.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
All in move by a team desperate to win a SB. Cousins playing in a dome with a lot of talent at the skill positions and a great defence. This should work but like others have said, it's the Vikings.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is going to be interesting. I think he's a big upgrade but that's a ton of money for someone I don't believe is an elite QB who makes those around him a lot better. Good thing for the Vikings is that they already have one of the best WR duos in the NFL, a good TE, a returning Dalvin Cook, a fine OL, and a great defense. All of the pieces are in place for Cousins to do well.

I would've preferred going with a cheaper option and then building an even better team around him. Hopefully they'll still be able to lock up the young talent they've drafted.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Vikes should be fun to watch for next 3 years

Certainly not thrilling as a Bear fan knowing that Vikes and Packers (And Lions) are all better and likely going to stomp Bears in coming years

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A Super Bowl is the expectation now in the next 3 years, fair or not. I personally think what we're paying him is worth it for two reasons - finally solidifying the QB revolving door, and the Vikings' window is now.

Glad to have him. I feel bad for Keenum, that the MN staff basically never acted like he was legit or acted like they wanted him long term. In the end, he gets paid just fine. Just kinda sucks he was never fully appreciated.

Well, they acted like that because they didn't want him long-term and don't believe he's legit. I agree with them.

Keenum seems like a good guy though and they don't have the season they did without him so I wish him well.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You don't see a team that reached the NFCCG going from Case Keenum to Kirk Cousins "moving the needle"? What? You can think he's overrated, but that's kind of ridiculous.

Exactly

It seems a lot of people hate Cousins for some reason and do nothing but bash him

This gives Vikes best QB they have had since Culpepper pre-knee injury and with team they already have they are legit SB threat for next few years

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds kile he is handcuffed to the furnature and the Viks won't let him leave till he signs.
It will also be the first ever fully guaranteed contract.
If so it will make future signings interesting.
But it’s a 3 year deal. Most guys on their 2nd contract get 5-6 year deals where the guarant ed money expires after year 3.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah but clearly a 64 year old Pierre Garçon and the 2 games a year he played with Jordan Reed serves him more than Thielen, Diggs and Rudolph will.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
You don't see a team that reached the NFCCG going from Case Keenum to Kirk Cousins "moving the needle"? What? You can think he's overrated, but that's kind of ridiculous.

Is he better than Keenum? Sure.

Is Minnesota still going to lose the NFC North to a healthy Aaron Rodgers? Quite likely.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't think Cousin is great (he's good) but I think this is a good move by the Vikes. Cousin is a nice upgrade and the Vikes are legit super bowl contenders.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Yeah watch out for that Packers secondary. Poor Kirk doesn’t stand a chance.

You put Kirk on the Vikings last season and it's the same result. Just replacing Keenum for the miracle against New Orleans.

They're a playoff contender. Which can be said for most of the NFC.

No more, no less.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You put Kirk on the Vikings last season and it's the same result. Just replacing Keenum for the miracle against New Orleans.

They're a playoff contender. Which can be said for most of the NFC.

No more, no less.

So the problem wasn’t the Packers, it was the Eagles. That’s a different story. They are still better, they weren’t going to get Brees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad