Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
What are the odds he signs here for long-term? Is MN a place that Russians typically want to be? We haven't had a lot of Russian players over the years I don't think.

I wonder if Russian players were polled which teams would be at the top of their lists to play?
I wouldn’t want to after a year of carrying Parise. In reality, I bet he does. He seems like a nice, loyal kid and Minnesota is a great place to play hockey. I’m not worried about it

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I wouldn’t want to after a year of carrying Parise. In reality, I bet he does. He seems like a nice, loyal kid and Minnesota is a great place to play hockey. I’m not worried about it
on top of that I believe in a Star Trib article he talked about how he loved Minnesota's weather since its the type of weather he likes.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
on top of that I believe in a Star Trib article he talked about how he loved Minnesota's weather since its the type of weather he likes.

Yeah he said he likes the outdoors and stuff too. I'm not worried about him staying in Minnesota because of Minnesota, I'm worried about him leaving because we have exactly two top 6 forwards and the coach isn't even playing them together.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah he said he likes the outdoors and stuff too. I'm not worried about him staying in Minnesota because of Minnesota, I'm worried about him leaving because we have exactly two top 6 forwards and the coach isn't even playing them together.
Basically, we don't want to do what we did to Gaborik.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I wasn't expecting to contend this year. I think we have a shot at the playoffs but if we missed i wasn't going to be mad. I think if Kaprizov can see that this team in 2 years will be a lot better.

You got Rossi and Boldy coming which I feel comfortable claiming they will be top 6 players. Outside of that I think the Wild will hit at least 1 on: Firstov, Beckman, or Khovanov(I'm not giving up on him like others have).

I think Greenway if we don't lose him to seattle might turn into a top 6 player too. In fact I think he should be in the top 6 right now. I also have full confidence that Bracket will draft some great players in the coming drafts too.

Too early to drink the koolaid but imagine if Kaprizovs win the calder this year and Rossi the following year?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After searching it appears there are less Russians in the NHL than I thought. This article is from '18, at which time 13 teams had not one Russian. Surprising to me is that Russia had less NHLers than Finland, a country that is much smaller than the very cold Russia. I realize the KHL has a role in that, but still

Where in the world do NHL players come from?.
Russia really has had a down period lately in overall player development. They're still getting some high end players into the league, but there's not much when it comes to the mid and lower tier players.

I'm sure some of that is KHL related for sure, but their performance in international tournaments when best on best shows the problem as well.

They just don't have the depth they used to have.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that Greenway can have an effect on the game like a player like Tom Wilson does. They might not be pretty, but can be very effective.
What this team is missing( and it's kind of a " Duh!"), is forwards who can handle the puck, and are comfortable in scoring situations. You don't need a ton of those players, but a good team should have at least 4-5. We have Kaprizov, Fiala at times.
Both Boldy and Rossi look to be the sort of prospects that are comfortable handling the puck, but it remains to be seen if they can bring that skill with them to the NHL. If they can, then we are in decent shape. If not, then things get pretty depressing.

I look at a team like TBL, and marvel at how they make overlooked, ordinary prospects look like top 6 players. Wish I knew how they do it.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think that Greenway can have an effect on the game like a player like Tom Wilson does. They might not be pretty, but can be very effective.
What this team is missing( and it's kind of a " Duh!"), is forwards who can handle the puck, and are comfortable in scoring situations. You don't need a ton of those players, but a good team should have at least 4-5. We have Kaprizov, Fiala at times.
Both Boldy and Rossi look to be the sort of prospects that are ccomfortble handling the puck, but it remains to be seen if they can bring that skill with them to the NHL. If they can, then we are in decent shape. If not, then things get pretty depressing.

I look at a team like TBL, and marvel at how they make overlooked, ordinary prospects look like top 6 players. Wish I knew how they do it.
Skill, depth and team culture. We have lacked in 2 of those 3 for some time. Now we lack in all 3.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Both Boldy and Rossi look to be the sort of prospects that are comfortable handling the puck, but it remains to be seen if they can bring that skill with them to the NHL. If they can, then we are in decent shape. If not, then things get pretty depressing.

Player development there is excellent.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Russia really has had a down period lately in overall player development. They're still getting some high end players into the league, but there's not much when it comes to the mid and lower tier players.

I'm sure some of that is KHL related for sure, but their performance in international tournaments when best on best shows the problem as well.

They just don't have the depth they used to have.

The thing is would you rather play a 3rd line role in the NHL far from your country speaking a language you don't control perfectly for 700 000 at first and then 1-1.5 millions and if you're lucky and the coach likes you maybe eventually 2-3 millions or play a top 6 role in your country relatively close to your family for a fair amount of money and potentially maybe close to what you would do in the NHL. For some Russians the 2nd option is very interesting.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Can't see Kaprizov signing anything but a bridge contract

Reactions: EXTRAS

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The assists are nice, but is anyone getting a little frustrated that the goals aren't coming? - then again, the entire team is struggling to score except Ek...

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Lol, he plays on lines, where somebody has to make the plays, so he does it. As to PP, well, they can't even enter the zone in 80% cases.

Normally I'd say something along the lines of "excuses, excuses" to this line of thought, but in this case I think it may be a relevant observation. He's been playing with Parise a lot, and to my eyes Parise has looked slower than in prior years and even then he wasn't known for his ability to carry the puck all that well, and create chances on his own. Kaprizov may have the ability to be a trigger-man, but in the current line that he's on, he has to be the puck carrying play maker for anything to really materialize. He'll get his goals on that line by the odd battle that Parise or his rotating center wins along the boards and behind the net that squeaks out to him. Or by driving the net with defenders hanging off of him and falling down around him from his slick moves, but he can't do that every game! That's gotta be physically taxing.

For comparison, just try to imagine him with a prime Koivu at center. Koivu was known for being able to enter the zone with control, in spite of his slow speed. That would free Kaprizov up to get into prime positions to fire pucks. We don't have anyone that can buy that kind of space for him, right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad