Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Normally I'd say something along the lines of "excuses, excuses" to this line of thought, but in this case I think it may be a relevant observation. He's been playing with Parise a lot, and to my eyes Parise has looked slower than in prior years and even then he wasn't known for his ability to carry the puck all that well, and create chances on his own. Kaprizov may have the ability to be a trigger-man, but in the current line that he's on, he has to be the puck carrying play maker for anything to really materialize. He'll get his goals on that line by the odd battle that Parise or his rotating center wins along the boards and behind the net that squeaks out to him. Or by driving the net with defenders hanging off of him and falling down around him from his slick moves, but he can't do that every game! That's gotta be physically taxing.

For comparison, just try to imagine him with a prime Koivu at center. Koivu was known for being able to enter the zone with control, in spite of his slow speed. That would free Kaprizov up to get into prime positions to fire pucks. We don't have anyone that can buy that kind of space for him, right now.

Fair enough; would Ek help?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think that JEE has the puck skills that Koivu had. Hopefully it's not too late for him to develop them, but the way he is being used he is not exactly helping in that regard...it seems that Evason would rather play Bonino, Bjugstad or Rask with our most skilled players. I have some sympathy for the position he is in, but such a decision seems short sighted.
What happens if Rossi doesn't work out in the NHL? JEE would be it, then.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I don't think that JEE has the puck skills that Koivu had. Hopefully it's not too late for him to develop them, but the way he is being used he is not exactly helping in that regard...it seems that Evason would rather play Bonino, Bjugstad or Rask with our most skilled players. I have some sympathy for the position he is in, but such a decision seems short sighted.
What happens if Rossi doesn't work out in the NHL? JEE would be it, then.
I think it more has to do with his unwillingness to break up the 3rd line. I'm sure if the 3rd line wasn't doing so well JEE would be up in the lineup. I think a happy compromise is greenway - Ek- Kaprizov.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it more has to do with his unwillingness to break up the 3rd line. I'm sure if the 3rd line wasn't doing so well JEE would be up in the lineup. I think a happy compromise is greenway - Ek- Kaprizov.
I somewhat agree, but Greenway just on his own would spice up a Bonino- Parise-Greenway line, and allow for a JEE- Fiala-Kap line.

Foligno - Bjugstad- somebody would be....big? I am so down on johansson that i dont care if he is on the 3rd, 4th, or bench.

Reactions: Mancini79

Filip

Jan 29, 2021
For our Russian friends, has Kaprizov ever had any experience at center?

In theory, could work given his skill set. Good skater, hard on pucks, sturdy, and good facilitator. Faceoffs may be an issue but they are now...

I mean, they’re playing Rask at center so everyone should be fair game.

Yes, Kirill has experience at center. He played in all positions except goalkeeper. In Russia, often of the most talented players make wingers.

In CSKA, Kyrill often led the game of his line. At the same time, he played winger. And in his game in Minnesota I see nothing new. The only thing is that he is not lucky with goals right now. So, Kirill is difficult to call an only playmaker or only scorer. He always had statistics 50/50.

Last edited:

Filip

Jan 29, 2021
IMHO for Kirill, best line Johansson-Ek-Kaprizov. Well, if Kriill is put in the center, then it will be great.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Normally I'd say something along the lines of "excuses, excuses" to this line of thought, but in this case I think it may be a relevant observation. He's been playing with Parise a lot, and to my eyes Parise has looked slower than in prior years and even then he wasn't known for his ability to carry the puck all that well, and create chances on his own. Kaprizov may have the ability to be a trigger-man, but in the current line that he's on, he has to be the puck carrying play maker for anything to really materialize. He'll get his goals on that line by the odd battle that Parise or his rotating center wins along the boards and behind the net that squeaks out to him. Or by driving the net with defenders hanging off of him and falling down around him from his slick moves, but he can't do that every game! That's gotta be physically taxing.

For comparison, just try to imagine him with a prime Koivu at center. Koivu was known for being able to enter the zone with control, in spite of his slow speed. That would free Kaprizov up to get into prime positions to fire pucks. We don't have anyone that can buy that kind of space for him, right now.
You can literally see Kaprizov being forced to go after pucks into other guys' puck battles, because he realizes if he does not get the puck out of the scrum, no one will. That of course limits his chances to sneak into scoring areas and be the sniper he can be.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The assists are nice, but is anyone getting a little frustrated that the goals aren't coming? - then again, the entire team is struggling to score except Ek...
He does not have an appropriate center to play with. It was known long before he came to the NHL that this will be the struggle on the Wild.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russia really has had a down period lately in overall player development. They're still getting some high end players into the league, but there's not much when it comes to the mid and lower tier players.

I'm sure some of that is KHL related for sure, but their performance in international tournaments when best on best shows the problem as well.

They just don't have the depth they used to have.
That's not exactly true. The KHL plays a big role. The other factor is young Russians going to the CHL too early and busting out.

Mid and lower tier players are much happier in the KHL though rather than playing a bottom six role in the NHL. If you look up recent seasons you will find a number of players who tested the NHL for a year or two and returned to Russia. They could have battled it out for a spot on a 4th or a 3rd line in the NHL for years... or not. KHL is much more enticing for those players.

Let's hope Marco Rossi becomes that appropriate center for him.
Kaprizov is still young. There is time. I don't like tanking, but this might be what Minnesota should do now. Shortened season. Who cares? The game against Colorado has shown the order of things. Colorado will probably cruise to win the division and the playoff rounds within the division. Nothing to win here until the team gets better.

Last edited by a moderator:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i really didn't expect hemi to walk right in and takeover this team like a king. when he finds chemistry with somebody things will get better.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I'm sold on him at this point. He's got this attitude like "NHL?...huh, I'm going to show this league what a hockey player looks like"....he's just got a swagger that I didn't know if we were going to get or not.

He's got to be the most exciting player this franchise has had in a while (maybe since Gaborik?)...even more so than Fiala, IMO.

Now I am regretting not buying his RC when I had the chance.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Thrilla honestly has a certain tenacity to get the puck and when he has the puck you can tell he isn't just robotically moving his legs fast doing the same thing over and over like Cullen used to do (good skater but wasn't actually very offensively creative) trying to cycle.

He is in real time being creative, something new every shift, using his skating and IQ, vision, and also just some sort of unorthodox movements to create lanes and space.

I just want him to shoot more.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Thrilla honestly has a certain tenacity to get the puck and when he has the puck you can tell he isn't just robotically moving his legs fast doing the same thing over and over like Cullen used to do (good skater but wasn't actually very offensively creative) trying to cycle.

He is in real time being creative, something new every shift, using his skating and IQ, vision, and also just some sort of unorthodox movements to create lanes and space.

I just want him to shoot more.
Agreed. For as good of a shot as he has, he seems afraid to use it. He doesn't seem to have that Gaborik sniper mentality.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
Agreed. For as good of a shot as he has, he seems afraid to use it. He doesn't seem to have that Gaborik sniper mentality.

He has obviously shown great vision and ability to make some great feeds, but I too wish he would pull the trigger some more. Especially when he makes a good move to get to the center of the ice. I think he makes the pass across to a teammate too often in that scenario. When it is a full cross ice pass it’s fine as the goalie is in a worse off position. But when he beats his man to the center of the ice I’d like to see him take that shot more often.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I'm starting to believe the KHL was the perfect league to develop in these last few years. The wait was worth it.

Reactions: MNRube

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Last game vs. the Avs, where he took a pass along the boards and just burned the defender, faked the slapper, and nearly scored from a bad angle off the post? This guy is special.

Reactions: MNRube

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
You can literally see Kaprizov being forced to go after pucks into other guys' puck battles, because he realizes if he does not get the puck out of the scrum, no one will. That of course limits his chances to sneak into scoring areas and be the sniper he can be.

Trade for the pick that can get us beniers!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have been pleasantly surprised at how well Kap has adjusted to the NHL. Remains to be seen if he can develop any chemistry with Fiala, our only other top line talent. I was hoping that we could squeeze another year of good play out of Parise, but it's not looking good at the moment. Greenway and/or JEE are candidates for being the third wheel on a first line at the moment. Boldy can't get here soon enough. Rossi will take a year longer.

For the present, all is not lost. Kaprizov is smart enough to realize that while we are undermanned up front, we have a talented defense. He will figure out that Suter will find him with stretch passes, Spurgeon is great on the give and go, and that Dumba is always game to move up in the play.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I hope KK doesn’t win the Calder, even if he deserves it. He seems like the type of player who would use it as motivation to show them how wrong “they” were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad