Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I hope KK doesn’t win the Calder, even if he deserves it. He seems like the type of player who would use it as motivation to show them how wrong “they” were.
nah if he deserves it he should win it. This could be a double edged sword. Do you want people telling him the only reason he didn't win it was because he is in minnesota? That if he wants to win awards he needs to go to a different market?

Reactions: GuerinUp

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
nah if he deserves it he should win it. This could be a double edged sword. Do you want people telling him the only reason he didn't win it was because he is in minnesota? That if he wants to win awards he needs to go to a different market?

If he deserves it and doesn’t win it, it will more likely be an anti-Russian bias than market bias.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Kid was an elite scorer in the KHL. I think he’s not wanting to look selfish right now being new to the team. But he needs to start shooting a lot more.

Reactions: HotDish

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Kid was an elite scorer in the KHL. I think he’s not wanting to look selfish right now being new to the team. But he needs to start shooting a lot more.

agreed. Trying to be the good guy, fit in, etc. etc. Should take a more proactive roll as the season progresses .

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he deserves it and doesn’t win it, it will more likely be an anti-Russian bias than market bias.
Ty Smith has 8 points so far, and he plays defense. He has a legit chance to be the Calder winner, at this point. I also wouldn't give up on Lafreniere, though the Rangers look like a mess so far. One of those teams that looks good paper, not so much on the ice. Byram looks good, too.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Ty Smith has 8 points so far, and he plays defense. He has a legit chance to be the Calder winner, at this point. I also wouldn't give up on Lafreniere, though the Rangers look like a mess so far. One of those teams that looks good paper, not so much on the ice. Byram looks good, too.
Smith has been impressive, but his shooting will come down and Kaprizov will start to pick up powerplay points to add to his even strength play. Not to mention, we have basically thrown Kaprizov into the fire and asked him to be our best player, play the most of any forward most nights, and he’s exceeded expectations. To me, that’s more impressive than Smith producing well in a sheltered role in the no-defense east.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I hope KK doesn’t win the Calder, even if he deserves it. He seems like the type of player who would use it as motivation to show them how wrong “they” were.
He might not win the Calder anyway considering how well Lankinen is playing in goal for Chicago.

I'd say Lankinen is the current front runner with Chevy 2nd.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Don't really care if he gets a Calder or not. I see the kind of player he is and he is a 1st and 2nd line player, very dynamic, and with the right players seems to be a 75-85 point player.

Can you imagine him with someone like a Marner? I use this example because Marner creates a lot of good looks.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’m just baffled at his usage. We need to find ways to get him the puck around the net more. He’s lethal when he’s in tight. Rask and Mayhew need to be upgraded big time. I hope Fiala gets on his line next game, but at the very least they should be playing catch on the powerplay with Fiala on the half wall and Kaprizov down low. He’s such a natural fit for that spot.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The lack of puck support from his line mates is crazy.

Ya. I see people starting to complain he doesn't "shoot more", and that's a load of BS. He takes a shot every look he gets.

He's just constantly got to be on the puck, because his linemates are worthless putting him outside of good shooting areas to often.

If he had players on his line that were good at the boards and controlloing the puck, his 5v5 play would sky rocket...

Just a shame we don't have a swedish center, and freakishly big american winger that would probably be perfect for that role....

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Ya. I see people starting to complain he doesn't "shoot more", and that's a load of BS. He takes a shot every look he gets.

He's just constantly got to be on the puck, because his linemates are worthless putting him outside of good shooting areas to often.

If he had players on his line that were good at the boards and controlloing the puck, his 5v5 play would sky rocket...

Just a shame we don't have a swedish center, and freakishly big american winger that would probably be perfect for that role....
I'd also be in favor of seeing what he could do with Fiala, since I think Fiala is the only player we have that can truly keep up with Kap.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

What are Peter Forsberg and Mike Modano up to these days?

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We don’t have much that can support him/play to his level.

Fiala, Rossi..... I think Greenway and him could wreak havoc. But that’s not much, 3 players ????
He only needs one good player(like the Parise of 5 years ago), and one quality grinder like JEE or Greenway. Fiala and JEE would be enough, assuming that he and Fiala can develop chemistry together. I have my doubts, as they are both players, especially Fiala, who are at their best when dominating the puck. If Boldy hits the ground running next year he would help a lot in filling out the top 6. He's smart, skilled, doesn't need to carry the puck, is a willing passer, but can shoot. JEE, Boldy, and Kaprizov would be an interesting line. I think Rossi will need more time, but he, Fiala, and Greenway would also be intriguing. Both lines would have skill, size, but not give up too much defensively.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
He only needs one good player(like the Parise of 5 years ago), and one quality grinder like JEE or Greenway. Fiala and JEE would be enough, assuming that he and Fiala can develop chemistry together. I have my doubts, as they are both players, especially Fiala, who are at their best when dominating the puck. If Boldy hits the ground running next year he would help a lot in filling out the top 6. He's smart, skilled, doesn't need to carry the puck, is a willing passer, but can shoot. JEE, Boldy, and Kaprizov would be an interesting line. I think Rossi will need more time, but he, Fiala, and Greenway would also be intriguing. Both lines would have skill, size, but not give up too much defensively.
I think Greenway is moving more in that PWF mould, he could easily clear the way for Kaprizov.

I can see a Fiala-Kaprizov combo working as Kaprizov does get open well but rarely gets service/decent service, 2 of his goals are from him getting into space unmarked, and he’s had a few chances where he’s done the same thing. I think Fiala isn’t as good at that and does need that puck more, but skill likes to play with skill, one of Boldy/Rossi/Fiala will be dynamite with Kaprizov.

I think a both those lines would actually not give up much defensively, Boldy, KK and work hard and are willing to do it all as we’ve seen. Rossi isn’t supposed t be a slouch in his zone. Fiala isn’t a slouch and Greenway certainly isn’t, I’m leaving JEE out because I’m not sure he will fit into the top 6 moving forward. Also we’re assuming Boldy will be a good center (I think he will) but I do like that core a lot going forward I think Boldy in 5 years will be one of the premier players in the league, maybe not a scoring king but I’m hopeful a poors man Mark Stone. I was really impressed by his WJC, kid does everything like a young Mark Stone did.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You should be able to get Gusev from New Jersey for peanuts. He’s a perfect player to pair with Kaprizov

This team has no business buying rentals and we shouldn't be trying to commit any more money and term to wingers.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Put Fiala and Kaprizov together and give them whatever center you want, just let them play together. Keep Ek and Greenway together and give them Parise or Foligno if you really want to keep those 3 together or Parise if you want a little more goal scoring in tight to complement the Ek/Greenway forecheck.

In either case, you have two lines you can them legitimately rely on offense with. Then you have basically the same level 4th line as now and a grinder 3rd line of something like Johannsson, Bonino, Foligno/Parise.

Instead of neutering your top 2 goal scorers and basically turning those line into grinder lines that require one man army level effort why not have two solid lines and basically still have 2 additional lines at the same level as now?

Makes zero sense.

Filip

Jan 29, 2021
Kirill does not need a high-quality center - he himself plays as a center and leads the game. He needs two forwards, one of whom knows how to play in face-offs, and one knows how to give a pass in time.

Filip

Jan 29, 2021
Kirill doesn't need Fiala. Kirill needs a puck, and Fiala will not give it to him, Fiala himself loves to play the game. One of Kirill's most unsuccessful games, when he was put in the Russian national team in Kuznetsov's line with Ovechkin, where Kapriz and Kuzy all the time found out in the end who should lead the game.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Kirill doesn't need Fiala. Kirill needs a puck, and Fiala will not give it to him, Fiala himself loves to play the game. One of Kirill's most unsuccessful games, when he was put in the Russian national team in Kuznetsov's line with Ovechkin, where Kapriz and Kuzy all the time found out in the end who should lead the game.

I said it in the Prospects forum, but it will be interesting to see how much chemistry he can develop with Boldy and Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad