Kirby Dach Appreciation Thread

d rake

Jan 7, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
Did any of us expect Dach to be this good defensively? Pre-draft I only ever heard about his offensive abilities or skating. Turcotte was the one who was going to be the amazing defensive forward. Kirby is the gift that keeps on giving.
He had a great (but underrated) two way game in Saskatoon. I think it went under the radar due to him being more cerebral in his defensive play. But yeah, I didn't think his defensive game would transfer this well. Really exceeding expectations on both sides of the puck.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Did any of us expect Dach to be this good defensively? Pre-draft I only ever heard about his offensive abilities or skating. Turcotte was the one who was going to be the amazing defensive forward. Kirby is the gift that keeps on giving.
Didn't expect it this quickly, but yes he was an effective 2 way player in juniors.

Reactions: d rake

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I certainly didn't expect much. As d rake said, his defensive game really was underrated in the WHL.

I remember reading through each of Dach's and Turcotte's prospect threads on the draft boards before draft day and seeing Bergeron comparison's to Turcotte and Point, while Dach was getting at best compared to Scheifele at best and Strome at worst.

Turns out, Dach's comparisons there weren't all too spot on. MS isn't too far off, though he's not great defensively. Honestly after seeing Dach play this season, he probably reminds me more of Kopitar than anyone else (big center with a long reach who is able to score in close and puts up a lot of assists, all the while being a beast defensively).

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I certainly didn't expect much. As d rake said, his defensive game really was underrated in the WHL.

I remember reading through each of Dach's and Turcotte's prospect threads on the draft boards before draft day and seeing Bergeron comparison's to Turcotte and Point, while Dach was getting at best compared to Scheifele at best and Strome at worst.

Turns out, Dach's comparisons there weren't all too spot on. MS isn't too far off, though he's not great defensively. Honestly after seeing Dach play this season, he probably reminds me more of Kopitar than anyone else (big center with a long reach who is able to score in close and puts up a lot of assists, all the while being a beast defensively).
Dach for me was always a mix of players. Had a bit of Scheifele, Marner, Draisaitl, Strome, and Spezza in his game.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Both Hockeyprospect.com and Thedraftanalyst.com wrote that his d was good. But even having read that at draft time, his game away from the puck is surprisingly good for his age.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Kirby's playmaking ability in juniors looked a lot like Strome.

Debatable because Strome used the extra time and wasn’t the skater that Dach is (they looked similar when Dach went brought that slump as he was not moving his legs as much). Strome and Dach are a lot different and the point remains Strome is not in the same tier as the rest.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Just jumped Kakko, one point behind Hughes. Really improving. Haven’t seen much of Kakko this year, what’s his deal? Everyone said it was a clear top 2 and a drop but that hasn’t been the case thus far.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Just jumped Kakko, one point behind Hughes. Really improving. Haven’t seen much of Kakko this year, what’s his deal? Everyone said it was a clear top 2 and a drop but that hasn’t been the case thus far.
Kakko, from what I've read on HF and the little I've seen of him play, is a slow player who hasn't been able to adjust well to the smaller ice surface other than on the PP.

It's weird that Dach was the one that was considered slow at the draft and yet he's shown good speed in the NHL and Kakko, someone who was hardly ever harped on for his skating before being drafted, is too slow to be a difference maker in this league.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

He tied Kakko. They both have 19 points. Dach has played one fewer game though.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don't think I've watched a single Rangers game, and must have missed the game or two we have played against them if we even have played him this year..... but I can't for a minute imagine Kakko has been anywhere near as good away from the puck as Dach has.

Reactions: KWP

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
It would seem that any rational comparison between Kakko, Hughes, and Dach need to wait perhaps 3-4 years. After that, then compare them. People grow into their game at different rates and with completely different teams and roles on their teams - so it is way too early to compare them meaningfully.

Now, if the idea is to say that Dach looks promising, sure. he has. The other two do as well. If the idea is to say that Dach has at least as reasonable chance to prosper in this league as the other two - one could say it so far appears that way. But still lets compare this all in 3-4 years. By all rights, in terms of draft order, Dach should be behind the other two ultimately (albeit close). So, far, he is at least their equal. So far, so good.

Glad we have Dach. Not sure whether he will be better than the other two or not - could be, I would not be surprised. I would also not be surprised if all 3 turn out to be really good. Also, one or more of them may rise up above one of them; that too would not be surprising. Too early to tell.

What does seem clear though is that Dach looks good. We'll see what follows!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad