Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think Vilardi has the potential to be even better than Schenn, who also was mired by injury problems and was knocked for his skating as well when he was drafted.

Here are highlights from Kingston's win.

Apr. 10/18 – GM4 – BAR (2) – KGN (4) – Ontario Hockey League

I think he's a lot more gifted offensively than Schenn at the same age. Dude just finds new ways every shift to create offense.

Keep in mind that Schenn was projected to be a Mike Richards type though. His overall game was more polished.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
One of the knocks on Schenn that has held true was that he was sort of the anticlutch as well. At WJC he racked up a shitload of points against like Norway then disappeared for the rest of the tourney. WHich is so weird when you consider his power game.

Vilardi...well. We've seen it.

Reactions: KingTrouty

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Best forward prospects for the Kings in the last 13 years:

Kopitar>Vilardi>Schenn

That shows you just how few blue chip forward prospects we've had due to drafting strategies (build from the back up) and trading picks over a hockey eternity.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Slightly disagree regulate.

Vilardi is the best forward prospect since Alexander Frolov. Kopi was not really highly touted.

First time Kopi showed he could be the real deal was in those pre season games before the season started. Hard to believe he only put up a couple of points in the SEL the year before but that was the case.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
O'Sullivan was pretty highly regarded. He was a second round pick, but after putting up 93 points (47g, 46a) in 78 games as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL, he became one of the highest ranked forward prospects in hockey.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Vilardi is the best forward prospect since Alexander Frolov. Kopi was not really highly touted.

First time Kopi showed he could be the real deal was in those pre season games before the season started. Hard to believe he only put up a couple of points in the SEL the year before but that was the case.

Frolov was not drafted in the last 13 years, it was 18 years ago. And Frolov was a #20 pick, Kopi #11 for what it's worth, if anything.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Disagree.

Kopitar was the top ranked European skater in the 2005 draft. We were thrilled around here when he fell to us.

As an 18 year old, he was one of the better players for Sodertalje SK, that's hard to do.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Well i guess people easily forget. There were a lot of questionmarks around Kopi and his season was far from great. I had full access to those Sel games, same with Kempe.

That we were thrilled is another story.

No way did people think we had a gem with Kopitar until he came over.

Frolov had an incredible season in the RSL at age 19/20. A league you could barely score goals in, let alone as youngster. On top of that a great showing at -20 WJC.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well i guess people easily forget. There were a lot of questionmarks around Kopi and his season was far from great. I had full access to those Sel games, same with Kempe.

Frolov had an incredible season in the RSL at age 19/20. A league you could barely score goals in, let alone as youngster. On top of that a great showing at -20 WJC.

He sure did have huge question marks, but I remember the overwhelming sentiment being we got a steal because he dropped to #11. I don't think anyone knew what a steal he would be, but there was absolutely buzz.

Agree that Frolov was more highly touted though.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

While he had question marks, Kopitar was frequently ranked between 3 and 5 in 2005/Sidney Crosby draft. He didn't set the SEL on fire with scoring, but he was undoubtedly considered a top prospect.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
While he had question marks, Kopitar was frequently ranked between 3 and 5 in 2005/Sidney Crosby draft. He didn't set the SEL on fire with scoring, but he was undoubtedly considered a top prospect.

I remember the biggest question about Kopitar in the draft was if a good player could come out of Slovenia. It wasn't a big hockey market. People just didn't know how good he was with the competition he had as a kid and not a strong first SHL season.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I remember the biggest question about Kopitar in the draft was if a good player could come out of Slovenia. It wasn't a big hockey market. People just didn't know how good he was with the competition he had as a kid and not a strong first SHL season.

A fun trip down memory lane of where publications had Kopitar ranked.

Central Scouting had him as the #1 European skater on their list.
http://cdn.nhl.com/mapleleafs/bc/images/delta/images/pdf/euroskaters.pdf

McKeen's had Kopitar ranked 3rd overall.
MCKEEN'S HOCKEY RELEASES FINAL TOP 100 RANKINGS FOR 2005 NHL DRAFT

The HF Mock Draft had Kopitar going 6th.
Hockey's Future 2005 Staff Mock Draft - Hockey's Future

TSN had a mock draft with Kopitar going 6th as well.
TSN.ca - NHL Draft - Canada's Sports Leader

Bob McKenzie had Kopitar at #5.
TSN.ca - NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I rest my case your honor.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I remember us all being very excited that he fell to #11 and we were not put off by his 05-06 season in the SEL.

If you are referencing his SEL play in his draft year, nobody here cared too much since the reviews of his play at the WC were solid. He then went on to have a very strong WC prior to his first NHL season and we were foaming at the mouth.

Kings and Ducks played a prospects game at Staples prior to a pre-season game between the big clubs that same evening in 2005. Kopitar was head and shoulders better than any Kings player and it was obvious we had a very good player on our hands.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wish I could find the original thread on HF about Kopitar after we drafted him. If I remember correctly the title of the thread was simply: "Kopitar!"

That was all the way back in 2005. It looks like the search function only goes back to 2013.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Schenn was very highly touted. I think Vilardi is more dynamic than Schenn, but not as well rounded. You never know what's going to transfer, though. Schenn was regarded as having a really high hockey IQ, but that never really manifested in the NHL, in fact, he's displayed the opposite.

Vilardi looks like a hybrid between Toffoli and Kopitar. He's not as strong and dominant on the puck as Kopitar, but he's in that vein. I think his shot is at least on par with TT's, and that's saying a lot.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

He was definitely ranked high in scouting reports, but I remember some GMs coming out and saying they were worried about the Slovenia factor. It might have been after his rookie year.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
SSM won 5-2, Villalta stopped 37/39 in getting the W, Phillips was scoreless and -1. (series tied 2-2)
Moose Jaw lost 3-2 in double OT, Clague had an Assist and +2. (series tied 2-2)
Victoria lost 5-3, Reddekopp had an Assist and -1. (Tri-City wins 4-0)

4/12 games:

Kingston (Vilardi) @ Barrie
Kitchener @ Sarnia (Rymsha)
Everett @ Portland (Kehler)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He was definitely ranked high in scouting reports, but I remember some GMs coming out and saying they were worried about the Slovenia factor. It might have been after his rookie year.
Pretty much and thats why he dropped and now some act like they knew it all along.

We were happy but nobody knew what to expect from a Slovenian player until he came over. His average season in the SEL didnt help either.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Wow, Ziggy, did you lose 1 week life expectancy, finding all that stuff? Thanks.

Yes, I recall one scout / analyst calling Kopitar the best goal scorer of the draft...which included Crosby, of course.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wow, Ziggy, did you lose 1 week life expectancy, finding all that stuff? Thanks.

Yes, I recall one scout / analyst calling Kopitar the best goal scorer of the draft...which included Crosby, of course.

I loved this bit of info that Bob McKenzie shared in his rankings:

BOB MCKENZIE'S TAKE: The Slovenian big man played junior hockey in Sweden this season, but it was his ability to play with the men in the senior world championships that demonstrated to many scouts that he's a legit top five pick, in spite of his country's lack of hockey pedigree. Kopitar is physically mature and has excellent offensive instincts, but there are bound to some reservations.

As one scout said, "The kid could turn out to be a great player, but if you're picking that high, do you really want to take a chance on a kid from a country that has produced no NHL talent? Look at what happened to those Swiss first rounders. I don't care what you say, it's a gamble taking kids with unconventional backgrounds."

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Kingston out to a flying start in game 5, leading 2-0 mid-1st, Vilardi with his 10th of the postseason (32nd in 42 games overall).

EDIT: Now 3-1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad