Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
So give Amadio time. 35 pts in 31 games in Ontario this year, playing with Hensick , Mersch and Auger?
I bet the Pearons, Toffoli's, Iafallo's Kempe's and even Brown would have a hard time eclipsing 35 pts in 31 games in Ontario. I thnk the Kings say Vilardi is center and will not play wing.
I say put Carter on his wing. Carter does fine on wing or ctr. Amadio could be 3rd or 4th center. He's not a wing. I started playing closer attention to his game, when he started getting PP
time and was a bit surprised by that and then read Steven's quote about Amadio's puck play. I started seeing what they see. Have a feeling some of these players could be packaged someday,
but hope they don't prematurely give up on someone like Amadio or Ladue. Upside with both.
Look at Spencer Watson and Austin Wagner this year there....AHL is a big step. Brodzinski is on the cusp and hopefully makes it next year.

Amadio started his tear around Christmas of 2016, his rookie year, and hasn't looked back since. Although he did start slow this season (as did the entire Reign team), once he was called up early in the year, then sent back down, he really picked it up. He was not paired with Hensick, from time to time with Mersch, and rarely with Auger. A primary reason for that was Matt Moulson, who joined the team and was paired with Amadio and Brodzinski. When the 3 were on the same line, they were absolutely dominate. I've heard Dowd's name and others bantered about, but Amadio is a much better overall player than Dowd. Dowd played with a somewhat reckless abandon, and he was out of control and made too many risky passes. Amadio has a better shot than Dowd, he's heavy on the puck, and has outstanding passing vision. His hockey IQ is extremely high (I wish I would say the same about Kempe). Amadio will be a 3C in this league without any doubt in my mind after watching him for 2 years live, he is an NHLer through and through. Mike Futa agrees with this assessment. You will not truly see Amadio's potential though in the NHL, unless you pair him with talent. You give him the 3C with two good offensive wingers and keep him on the 2nd PP, and good things will start to happen very quickly. He definitely needs to work on his face offs skills though, that is a work in progress for sure. He may have to earn it as a 4C, and that's okay too. It's a testament to his ability that he centers the 4th line, yet often runs the 2nd PP unit. How many players can you say that about? And remember, Amadio is only 21 years old like Kempe.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I don't think so. Folin should be re-signed.
I think he should be, too. But how does he fit if Brickley is projected as a starter next year? Reading the Frozen Royalty article, he seems a shoe in for a role as one of our 6 D (as much as rookie can be at this point). Aside from a trade to fit Folin in, it seems he's the odd man out right now. He's been a phenomenal bottom pairing D for us, too.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Jon Rosen told our group in person at a chalk talk the other day at Staples that Folin is looking for a multi-year deal as a UFA and will likely move on. He was a one year filler for the Kings.
Makes the Brickley signing even more awesome. They filled Folin's hole with a guy they like, before the offseason even begins.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Jon Rosen told our group in person at a chalk talk the other day at Staples that Folin is looking for a multi-year deal as a UFA and will likely move on. He was a one year filler for the Kings.
Not shocked in the least bit. I think most of us called it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wonder what his price range is at given the season he's had. He's posted career high numbers in games played, goals, assists, and points.

He's also 3rd on the team in hits, fifth in blocks.

Folin is 27, so I don't blame him if he is looking to cash out and get as much money as possible. Hopefully the organization finds a way to fit him in. I think a 3-year deal worth close to $2M might be deserved, considering that he has similar numbers as Forbort (in less ice time), and Forbort was signed to an extension worth over $2.5M.

Unfortunately, I don't know if any of the defensemen in the pipeline will be ready to step in to a full-time role next season. LaDue and Gravel haven't really shown us any inclination that they've markedly improved.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I wonder what his price range is at given the season he's had. He's posted career high numbers in games played, goals, assists, and points.

Folin is 27, so I don't blame him if he is looking to cash out and get as much money as possible. Hopefully the organization finds a way to fit him in. I think a 3-year deal worth close to $2M might be deserved, considering that he has similar numbers as Forbort (in less ice time), and Forbort was signed to an extension worth over $2.5M.

Unfortunately, I don't know if any of the defensemen in the pipeline will be ready to step in to a full-time role next season. LaDue and Gravel haven't really shown us any inclination that they've markedly improved.
Gravel is as good as gone. He didn't play enough games to stay a RFA. He's going to be an UFA.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

He's worth at least Matt Greene's contract since that's almost exactly the role he fills frankly.

But I could see another team taking a chance on him as a #4-5 instead of a 5-6 for several years.

Problem is I don't see another guy in the system remotely like Folin except MacDermid who is still a bit raw if this is going to be a competitive team. So it's a pick and choose. Lots of players for limited spots now, which is a good problem Blake has brought upon us.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Reliable stay at home dmen are very valuable. Folin is also right handed which adds to his value. We don't have anyone else that can fill his role. The Kings should be making every attempt to retain him as long as the contract demands are reasonable.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
What Reaper said. Gravel is about 99.9% gone. He sees the writing on the wall, and as a UFA he'll try and hook onto an organization with a little less depth. He's a tweener. He can play at the NHL level, it just won't be with us. As far as Folin, I don't think Rosen would just throw out his thoughts to us in our little meeting without any substance behind it, clearly that must in the "plan" that Folin was a one year fill, and Brickley pretty much seals the deal. The name that keeps popping up in the background in all these conversations is Voynov. I think that also may be part of the thought process with Folin, and now it's been reported publicly that Voynov is in the process of attempt to get clearance from the governments in North America to come back on a work visa. So things are already in motion. Don't be shocked if that comes to fruition. Not a sure thing obviously.

If that happens, either LaDue or maybe Martinez and or Muzzin may be on the block. My money is on Amart, but one never knows. Potential extras still on the outside looking in include MacDermid, Fantenberg, Lintuneimi (all three require waivers) and Clague.

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Voynov
-Phaneuf

LaDue, Amart or Brickley could obviously be plugged in with Phaneuf on the 3rd pairing, or mix and match if you like. If Voynov isn't added, then you have your 7D for next year if no other moves are made.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
What Reaper said. Gravel is about 99.9% gone. He sees the writing on the wall, and as a UFA he'll try and hook onto an organization with a little less depth. He's a tweener. He can play at the NHL level, it just won't be with us. As far as Folin, I don't think Rosen would just throw out his thoughts to us in our little meeting without any substance behind it, clearly that must in the "plan" that Folin was a one year fill, and Brickley pretty much seals the deal. The name that keeps popping up in the background in all these conversations is Voynov. I think that also may be part of the thought process with Folin, and now it's been reported publicly that Voynov is in the process of attempt to get clearance from the governments in North America to come back on a work visa. So things are already in motion. Don't be shocked if that comes to fruition. Not a sure thing obviously.

If that happens, either LaDue or maybe Martinez and or Muzzin may be on the block. My money is on Amart, but one never knows. Potential extras still on the outside looking in include MacDermid, Fantenberg, Lintuneimi (all three require waivers) and Clague.

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Voynov
-Phaneuf

LaDue, Amart or Brickley could obviously be plugged in with Phaneuf on the 3rd pairing, or mix and match if you like. If Voynov isn't added, then you have your 7D for next year if no other moves are made.

That is a nasty D with Voynov back. Just nasty. Gosh I hope we get him back before too long goes by.

In a scenario with Slava here next year, it think it would have to be Brickley paired with Phaneuf. The Kings promised him playing time, and we keep landing these college FAs because of our history of developing them and playing them. It would look bad to any future FA prospects looking to sign here if we (for example) traded him. Losing AMart would hurt, and he would be amazing with Dion on the 3rd pair, but I think Brickley is here next season in the starting 6 whether Folin, Voynov etc are on the team or not.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Voynov
-Phaneuf

I hope you're right about Voynov, but I have a hard time imagining him being back next year. If he is back, letting Folin go would make more sense. Although with both Folin and VV, we'd have 3 RHD, and 3LHD just like the 2012 team. That would be nice.

I think it's kinda of crazy for the management to assume Brickly is ready for a full time spot next year, but if he is, he is.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Mitchell is gone as a UFA. Rieder will sign a new multi year deal with us. Andreoff on the chopping block again. There is room for Brodzinski and Vilardi.
Iaffalo Kopitar Brown
Pearson Carter Toffoli
Kempe Vilardi Rieder
Clifford Amadio Lewis
Thompson

Brodzinski
Andreoff

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Voynov
-Phaneuf

I don't see how Brickley keeps getting equated with Folin. Folin is unique to our org, even if Voynov were to return, though that option makes more sense. Brickley is a big puck moving LHD who can skate, Folin is Matt Greene incarnate. Voynov is a LaDue type but feistier and CAN hit. to me, either way it's a bummer to watch Folin walk, though at that point it would surely be a numbers game, and as you say even then someone is likely on the block.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I don't see how Brickley keeps getting equated with Folin. Folin is unique to our org, even if Voynov were to return, though that option makes more sense. Brickley is a big puck moving LHD who can skate, Folin is Matt Greene incarnate. Voynov is a LaDue type but feistier and CAN hit. to me, either way it's a bummer to watch Folin walk, though at that point it would surely be a numbers game, and as you say even then someone is likely on the block.
The reason Brickley is brought up is exactly because it's a numbers game, not necessarily to equate him to Folin

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
4/6 recap:

SSM won 5-4 in OT, Phillips had an Assist and -2, Villalta stopped 28/32 in getting the W. (Series tied 1-1)
Sarnia lost 4-2, Rymsha was scoreless, 10/15 at the dot, and -2. (Kitchener leads 1-0)
Kingston lost 4-1, Vilardi was scoreless and-1. (Barrie leads 2-0)
Moose Jaw won 5-3, Clague had 2 Assists and -1. (Moose Jaw leads 1-0)
Victoria lost 7-0, Reddekopp was -2. (Tri-City leads 1-0)
Portland won 5-2, Kehler stopped 32/34 in getting the W. (Portland leads 1-0)

4/7 games:

Swift Current @ Moose Jaw (Clague)
Tri-City @ Victoria (Reddekopp)
Portland (Kehler) @ Everett

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Brickley will get a long look for sure, just for the potential cap savings alone. Folin is going to make substantially more.

There's not much out there that's an upgrade and in the Kings price range this year as far as free agents. Maybe Ian Cole.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Brickley will get a long look for sure, just for the potential cap savings alone. Folin is going to make substantially more.

There's not much out there that's an upgrade and in the Kings price range this year as far as free agents. Maybe Ian Cole.
Cole's probably gonna get 4m AAV, too, right Fishhead? I think our D is set with what we have here and on the way, we need another top 6 lw if anything.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Cole isn't an upgrade on anything we have especially considering he'd cost as much as Martinez.

Improve from within.

Yea there isn't much out there. There's players like John Moore, but he's basically Forbort with a little more offense and a little less defense. Everything looks lateral outside of Green, Carlson, de Haan, and a couple other guys we couldn't afford.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Cole's probably gonna get 4m AAV, too, right Fishhead? I think our D is set with what we have here and on the way, we need another top 6 lw if anything.

Yea someone is going to pay for him, he's a pretty good player but it would be cost prohibitive.

I don't know if the D is completely set, there isn't a whole lot of aggressive play and anger back there as it is. Phaneuf can play that game, and so can Muzzin at times. If Forbort was more pissy and more confident we'd be set. It would be nice to have another guy that players would think twice about dumping and chasing around because they know they'll be pummeled.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Yea someone is going to pay for him, he's a pretty good player but it would be cost prohibitive.

I don't know if the D is completely set, there isn't a whole lot of aggressive play and anger back there as it is. Phaneuf can play that game, and so can Muzzin at times. If Forbort was more pissy and more confident we'd be set. It would be nice to have another guy that players would think twice about dumping and chasing around because they know they'll be pummeled.
Does Brickley play with an edge to him? I agree about that, Phaneuf has that edge and then some, but after him it is a drop off. AMart tries sometimes, especially if it involves someone messing with Quick, but yeah, not much aggression as a unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad