Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm just saying that off-ice exercising / training for hockey usually isn't impressive looking.

He's obviously doing aerobic interval training, which is exactly what he should be doing.

I get the feeling some people think these guys should all be olympic powerlifters instead of explosive, powerful endurance athletes.

Throwing big weights around is impressive for your upper body, but not as practical for hockey.

Maybe we can link to the reels of guys like St. Louis and Chris Kreider doing lower-body work, that's more impressive looking for sure.

Reactions: King Trouty

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
You people act like you have a black belt at everything. Just leave it be.

I can't box whatsoever, but even your sensitivities have to admit that the video had some pretty hype music and editing for some pretty lackluster footage. The comment was directed less at Kovalchuk and his fitness and more to his video editor and the presentation of the clip.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I can't box whatsoever, but even your sensitivities have to admit that the video had some pretty hype music and editing for some pretty lackluster footage. The comment was directed less at Kovalchuk and his fitness and more to his video editor and the presentation of the clip.
Then my comment applies as well. It's not like they tried to win an award with this vid. And there are plenty of people who are not really good at editing vids. So what?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Then my comment applies as well. It's not like they tried to win an award with this vid. And there are plenty of people who are not really good at editing vids. So what?

It's funny. The hyped music and editing versus the choice in the footage. You can suck all that air out of the balloon you want but it still made a few of us chuckle. The whole point of this place is to relax, discuss, and critique whatever we want. Doesn't matter how the video was intended, some found the obvious absurdity in it and had a laugh. Why even try to silence it 21 days later? As you say... so what?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Are you the video editor? If so, sorry, and cheers on your growing skills.

If you're not, get the f*** over it and walk away. It's lighthearted banter (on a team forum no less), not hardcore slander. Much ado about nothing.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
My joke about the video was less that sand running isn’t impressive and he should be doing something ‘harder’ and was more just a comment on how strange it is that people post videos of others or themselves simply working out with hyped up techno music. Boring August...

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My joke about the video was less that sand running isn’t impressive and he should be doing something ‘harder’ and was more just a comment on how strange it is that people post videos of others or themselves simply working out with hyped up techno music. Boring August...

Welcome to Instagram, enjoy your stay! :P

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'm just saying that off-ice exercising / training for hockey usually isn't impressive looking.

He's obviously doing aerobic interval training, which is exactly what he should be doing.

Our society wants to see somebody lifting 500 lbs or they aren't in shape.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Are you the video editor? If so, sorry, and cheers on your growing skills.

If you're not, get the **** over it and walk away. It's lighthearted banter (on a team forum no less), not hardcore slander. Much ado about nothing.
You are the guy who is making it much ado, don't you?

And your ivestiative assumptions are well misplaced.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Look at it this way, it appears he has put in the work this summer (he could have sat around and done nothing as we've known certain guys to do) and we know he can still play, having put 328 Points (143 Goals) in 331 games, playoffs included.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Look at it this way, it appears he has put in the work this summer (he could have sat around and done nothing as we've known certain guys to do) and we know he can still play, having put 328 Points (143 Goals) in 331 games, playoffs included.

Aka Toffoli.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't understand why the pundits keep talking about whether Kovalchuk can adapt to the quick pace of today's NHL. Historically, this guy's been one of the most explosive skaters in the game. Has he slowed down that much in Russia?

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I don't understand why the pundits keep talking about whether Kovalchuk can adapt to the quick pace of today's NHL. Historically, this guy's been one of the most explosive skaters in the game. Has he slowed down that much in Russia?

He’s 35 and has been playing against lesser talent in a worse league for 5 years. Instagram training videos aside, NOBODY knows how he’s going to look. Not even he experts on here!

Jul 31, 2005
CA
He's on the perfect line for success. Sniper-Playmaker-Power Forward. He's never had any major injuries, he's never been fat and out of shape. And this will be his best shot at a Cup. As an expert on here I'm expecting minimum 60 points minus a major injury. He will also see the sun during the winter for the first time in his life, that's what helps old people feel good.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's on the perfect line for success. Sniper-Playmaker-Power Forward. He's never had any major injuries, he's never been fat and out of shape. And this will be his best shot at a Cup. As an expert on here I'm expecting minimum 60 points minus a major injury. He will also see the sun during the winter for the first time in his life, that's what helps old people feel good.

He had a major back injury that affected him clearly from 2012 on until the last year or two, FWIW...but if what you're saying is 'he's healthy' I totally agree.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
He’s 35 and has been playing against lesser talent in a worse league for 5 years. Instagram training videos aside, NOBODY knows how he’s going to look. Not even he experts on here!

Not claiming to be an expert but we've seen someone comeback significantly older and produce, Jagr came back at 39 to put up 269 points in 356 games, then he fell off. Not saying he'll do the same, because Jagr was a freak, but it can be done.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Id say 2012 was Kovy’s best shot at the cup, but perhaps I am missing something.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Q&A with Zach Parise with a couple tidbits on Kovalchuk: Parise unfiltered: State of the Wild, Kovalchuk and 'Lost'

ESPN: Speaking of the West, what do you think about your old Devils linemate Ilya Kovalchuk coming back to the NHL?

Parise:
It's great. You know what? I loved playing with him. The guy is such a good and dynamic player. I think he belongs in the NHL. Should have always been here. I think it's great to have him back. And seeing the way he trains, the guy is a freak. He's a specimen. The guy could play 26 minutes and he wasn't even sweating. I know he's aged a little bit, but I don't see him slowing down.

ESPN: I always found it interesting that the perception of him from outside of the dressing room was always completely different than how the room felt about him.

Parise:
Very different. I know I've talked to people and they had that negative image of him. 'He's selfish.' 'He's a dog.' I didn't see that at all. He worked his ass off and was a great guy in the room. He was a great teammate. He fought for me. I've got nothing but great things to say about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad