Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The "perception" isn't exclusive to Kovalchuk. That's the label given to just about every Russian player. Pick a name, we've heard the same thing said about them. Happened to Fedorov and Pavel Bure, it was happening to Ovechkin until recently. They're Russian, so they must fit the narrative of being greedy and selfish so North American blowhards can feel secure about their masculine players who can chop down a tree with their bare hands.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Looking very forward to The is year and watching Kovy. Loved watching him his first go around and I have tempered my expectations this go around but I truest believe a 30 - 30 - 60 season while helping the PP is reachable.

Kopitars Season last year just awoke any person in the league that wasn’t aware of him prior. He will be seeing a lot more teams concentrating on him And having a second outlet to go along with Brown that can skate and shoot the puck doubles his options. I really liked Iafallo but he is not a first line player. I think he will push the third line production however and I believe adding Kovalchuk just helps balance the teams offense.

I can see Kopitars goalscoring rate fall off but his assist total rise.

I think by adding Kovalchuk we increased our goal totals from last year by 15

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Looking very forward to The is year and watching Kovy. Loved watching him his first go around and I have tempered my expectations this go around but I truest believe a 30 - 30 - 60 season while helping the PP is reachable.

Kopitars Season last year just awoke any person in the league that wasn’t aware of him prior. He will be seeing a lot more teams concentrating on him And having a second outlet to go along with Brown that can skate and shoot the puck doubles his options. I really liked Iafallo but he is not a first line player. I think he will push the third line production however and I believe adding Kovalchuk just helps balance the teams offense.

I can see Kopitars goalscoring rate fall off but his assist total rise.

I think by adding Kovalchuk we increased our goal totals from last year by 15

and think about a healthy Carter on top of that

Reactions: funky

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I saw a tweet about an athletic article with Bob Hartley in which he talks about how Kovalchuk got him a job. On top of what Parise said about him sure sounds like a good dude.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Always get a kick out of how after the Soviet Union fell, the Russian players are all individualistic. Puck hogs and whatnot. All about me, me, me. Showboats. North Americans, it's all about sacrificing individuality for the good of the team. Even expected to take less money, and that's in addition to there being a hard cap on potential earnings. It's all crazy.

Same with European soccer. Europe is the social program paradise, but when it comes to the elite soccer leagues, total free market(as far as I know anyway, don't really follow soccer outside of the World Cup). If you can't spend money, screw you. If Man U wins all the time, hey, that's just reality. Deal with it. Whereas most pro leagues in NA, a cap on money spent to one degree or another. We have to help the small markets! Everyone should have a chance to win. Even baseball has some limits, but of course no cap.

Crazy world.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

Takes me back to the early discovery of the internet, using Prodigy and AOL and finding message boards to discuss sports. Around that time is when I would be following the latest developments in the Wayne Gretzky saga with the Kings back in late 1995, early 1996. I'm pretty sure it was on the AOL Grandstand Sports boards and ESPN reports that Wayne Gretzky was heading to St. Louis, and then slowly finding out the return was a pile of garbage.

That and A/S/L.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
That and A/S/L.

I totally remember those days. I don't know if any of you were on the Usenet group early on, but that was it back then. I think the first website i can remember was the original version of LGK.com. who's name escapes me. Now that place reminds me of Twitter with all the crap they allow to go unchecked. Personal insults and attacks are the norm.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Circa 2010, LGK ended up being a blocked site at work for whatever reason. That page ended up falling out of my rotation as a result. And for some reason my friend's custom fantasy baseball page got blocked this year and in possibly related news, my team is in last place.

Favorite memory of LGK: My friends and I had like 15-20 tickets for the first preseason game after the lockout in 2005. A couple days later, I see a random thread about "Looking for the cute guy who was sitting in Section X, Row Y, Seat Z." I open my wallet and I had that ticket, but we hadn't sat in our exact seats and I was pretty sure which of my friends they were talking about.

I made the mistake of posting our group photo and the OP confirmed that the guy she was looking for was there. Then the rest of LGK decided to figure out which guy she was talking about. My ego took a hit when I was one of the first ones eliminated. [/coolstorybro]

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Circa 2010, LGK ended up being a blocked site at work for whatever reason. That page ended up falling out of my rotation as a result. And for some reason my friend's custom fantasy baseball page got blocked this year and in possibly related news, my team is in last place.

Favorite memory of LGK: My friends and I had like 15-20 tickets for the first preseason game after the lockout in 2005. A couple days later, I see a random thread about "Looking for the cute guy who was sitting in Section X, Row Y, Seat Z." I open my wallet and I had that ticket, but we hadn't sat in our exact seats and I was pretty sure which of my friends they were talking about.

I made the mistake of posting our group photo and the OP confirmed that the guy she was looking for was there. Then the rest of LGK decided to figure out which guy she was talking about. My ego took a hit when I was one of the first ones eliminated. [/coolstorybro]

I don't remember that, but I usually stay out of threads looking for sexy men.

But if it's any consolation, you're #1 in our hearts

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Does anyone remember a Kings site from way back in the 90's in the infancy of the internet called Pepperdine? or something similar?

That's the first Kings site I can ever remember finding.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Does anyone remember a Kings site from way back in the 90's in the infancy of the internet called Pepperdine? or something similar?

That's the first Kings site I can ever remember finding.

No, don't remember it. Aside from usenet, there was one on AOL I remember and I had to copy and paste all the messages to read offline because I didn't want to use up all my minutes. :laugh:
I would then compose my replies offline , then dial back in and post them.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Online Kingdom was the jam.

The site is still around at least, despite the fact that the site owner/author seems to have gone off his rocker if you look at his NHL award voting submissions.

I recall Gann posting training camp info on the Kings newsgroup back in the 90s, back when that type of info was scarce.

Reactions: King Trouty

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
The site is still around at least, despite the fact that the site owner/author seems to have gone off his rocker if you look at his NHL award voting submissions.

I recall Gann posting training camp info on the Kings newsgroup back in the 90s, back when that type of info was scarce.
I remember a mailing list too.
And fanhome was a nice place to talk hockey before they changed the format.

And also a GOLDEN website against the Avs, Divalanche or something like that.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I remember a mailing list too.
And fanhome was a nice place to talk hockey before they changed the format.

And also a GOLDEN website against the Avs, Divalanche or something like that.

Haha, Divealanche. Talk about a blast from the past. It was created by a Wings fan, kind of sad how that rivalry which was the best NHL rivalry of my lifetime is no longer a thing, kind of sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad