Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Hopefully it's $6M aav or less. If it's the rumored 7M+, I don't like it, personally. Not for three years. ~$6M or less and I'm good with it.

Regardless, this is exciting news to wake up to and we now have our winger for Kopi, in theory.

Go Kings!

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
We've never had a player like Kovalchuk to play alongside Kopitar.

I'm wet over the potential of what they can do together.

Hell yeah baby as am I ! We always say players 35+ will be blah blah blah. Marleau, Thornton, Selanne and many others put this theory to rest. This first time we have someone with Kovys skill on Kopis wing , can’t wait for some Magic .

f*** yeah

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
definitely a premium price but this guys a legit shooter and we need that badly. Hopefully now we trade Toffoli so that will be a better scorer and with a 2 Mil bump up in cost. I'm good with this.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Three years...bad idea. Kovalchuk has already proven if things aren't going perfectly for him he will retire.

I am not sure but if he does it this time the Kings are on the hook for the cap hit for the entire 3 years. Sorry, but this is a desperate move.

This pretty much eliminates any thoughts of signing John Tavares.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Three years...bad idea. Kovalchuk has already proven if things aren't going perfectly for him he will retire.

I am not sure but if he does it this time the Kings are on the hook for the cap hit for the entire 3 years. Sorry, but this is a desperate move.

Dude, just admit it, you won't be happy until they trade Carter, Quick, Doughty, Brown, Kopitar, Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, Pearson, Lewis, Clifford, Thompson, Amadio, etc....

Pathetic.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's a high risk move, but I suppose you have to take a risk if you want to try and make this team a contender right now with out giving up futures.

Even if Kovalchuk busts, it's still better than giving up assets for Skinner/Pacioretty ect.

I'm neutral on this move. Don't love it, don't hate it. We'll see how it pans out.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Yuck.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised Blake would like this guy. They seem to have similar character traits.

I was really hoping the NHL would collectively let this guy twist in the wind for what he pulled. But no. We had to be the ones.

I'm excited for a potentially rejuvenated offense but how this guy fits into our locker room is a mystery to me.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Can't say I love it, would rather have Marleau at that price, but he is an undeniable talent. To say he is washed up would be ridiculous, he still definitely has it, but can he do it on an elite level back on the NHL stage? And for how long? At that price, if he can't bring it, then things are going to go south real fast.

This is it. This is our do or die moment. If this doesn't work, then a rebuild is on the horizon. Blake just drew the line in the sand, and now it is up to the players to choose.

Here's Kovalchuk embarrassing KHL talent:

Last edited:

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Mayor saying this probably means Rieder is gone.

So anyone (FA or otherwise) above his (Rieder's) aav is a nonstarter now, unless trade from our surplus of D?

Reactions: lumbergh

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This is it. This is our do or die moment. If this doesn't work, then a rebuild is on the horizon. Blake just drew the line in the sand, and now it is up to the players to choose.
I agree. The Kings had the dry powder to make one major move and this is what they've chosen. They have no cap space now, and they're not willing it give up picks/prospects, so this is it.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I'm with you that three years are a bit too long, and yes, 35+ contract means there's no getting out of the cap hit. Kept him away from the rest of the division though, too. Does improve our team.

I'm thinking they made this move knowing they didn't have a shot at Tavares, but shit, sign Tavares and move someone else if you have to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->