Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
tumblr_inline_p7rw6oVrP31s8ak69_250.gif

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's almost August boys, hang in there a bit longer. The cringe will end soon.

#PlsBeSeptemberAlready

Reactions: King Trouty

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I have a feeling this thread is gonna get dug up and used quite a few times in the next 3 years.

I agree. Two of the more probable outcomes are it is either a total home-run signing or it's a total disaster. If either of those happen this thread will frequently be bumped.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
25 , 30, 35 goals on kopis wing and we get back to being a dominant team you can dig this up and tell me how much of a dumbass I was , even though I've been watching hockey since 1962 I am not sure I understand anything anymore I thought it was bad when the ducks won the cup before us but this last season took the cake ,Vegas took off kept going and dominated all the way to the final series, what the f*** was that , so here's to eating crow , of course chased by a couple of guinesses and maybe a wee bit of Jamison next may or better yet next June

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I have a feeling this thread is gonna get dug up and used quite a few times in the next 3 years.
I agree and just so I’ll be able to say that I was right:
  • I predict that Kovy will be the best free agent acquisition the Kings ever made
  • I predict he will be the biggest waste of cap space ever
  • I predict that, if he wouldn’t have had the three major surgeries, he would have scored 75 goals over the threes years with the team
  • I predict he was just ok
I hope I got enough here to dig it back up later on.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
In all honesty, I think Kovy will follow Gaborik’s trajectory: start off really strong but rapidly decline by year 3.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yep, when it's up he'll be what, 38? 39?

I think the hope is that the youngsters will have come along a bit by then. 3 years is a good timeframe.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Let loose guys. It’s otay to believe. Wtf else have we had recently? A horrid trade for Lucic.

Pull up the recliner and be cautiously optimistic. No need to be all doom and gloom.

Some of the buttholes in this thread are tighter than that wh0re I banged in TJ a couple weeks ago.

Lighten up

That is why this move was nice, all it cost was the Kings cap space. I wouldn't expect Kovalchuk to be as good as Pacioretty or Skinner, but considering what we would have had to give up it was a no-brainer.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Yep, when it's up he'll be what, 38? 39?

I think the hope is that the youngsters will have come along a bit by then. 3 years is a good timeframe.

You'd think so, but if the worst happens and they take a step back in 20-21 (assuming their is even a season), then they get to add a top end talent.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Let loose guys. It’s otay to believe. Wtf else have we had recently? A horrid trade for Lucic.

Pull up the recliner and be cautiously optimistic. No need to be all doom and gloom.

Some of the buttholes in this thread are tighter than that wh0re I banged in TJ a couple weeks ago.

Lighten up

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
heh.. interesting. "you're not gonna win with that guy"

wonder how much hindsight is tainting that comment
Atlanta Thrashers' Ilya Kovalchuk is in high demand

From the article:

Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi wouldn't discuss Kovalchuk, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency July 1. Lombardi said Wednesday in Columbus, however, he is exploring ways to upgrade his roster and trading for a "rental" player is a possibility.

"I think I can safely say we are actively trying to improve this team. For the first time as a general manager you kind of get excited," Lombardi said.

Lombardi also said while he has enough salary cap space to afford a superstar, his team might benefit more if he adds two mid-level players instead of one marquee player.
"Seven million dollars goes fast," he said. "We're sitting 25th in the league in cash and cap space, but you look at one big dog and boy, it's gone."

The Kings, who will face the Blue Jackets today at Nationwide Arena, rank sixth in the West. They have 30 wins in 52 games, the third-fastest to 30 wins in club history.
Lombardi said he was persuaded that the team had reached a crucial stage in its evolution when it rallied to beat Detroit, 3-2, last Saturday. That told him the character and grit he infused had taken root, but he would have to fill the remaining gaps to get the Kings to the next level.

"I don't want to overemphasize a game, but there's certain games when you're watching your team grow when they show you something," Lombardi said. "I said, 'They're really showing it. It's time to really start looking and seeing what we can do for them.'

"I have a lot of confidence in our guys, but if you're asking if I would be active in trying to get some help, I would."

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Any more Kovalchuk work out vids so I can feel bad that I'm not ripped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad