Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Olli Maatta from Blackhawks In Exchange for Forward Brad Morrison

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It really doesn't make any difference if Maatta is playing with Dewey or on the bottom pair, the point is for them to not have to play 3 rookies (or 2 rookies & MacDermid) on the left side every night.

Mission accomplished.

Right, it's the same questions as the other options, except that Maatta has proven he can play 18-20 min on the 2nd pairing at worst. So if he can't play with Drew--which I'm sure they'll try, but I don't expect--him and Roy could be a stellar pairing, or he could be an enabler for Walker. Same deal as Edmundson but much less term, same deal as Hutton but without the extra contract spot. Plus he can PK.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don’t know enough about Maatta to offer a strong view on where he should play in the lineup but he fills the empty slot on the left side. I also think a second move is unlikely as they are going to want to give Björnfot, Anderson and Clague plenty of games to see what they have and also MacD will get into the rotation. If you add another NHL D-Man one of them will have to be moved and I don’t see that happening just now... maybe Clague is moved but I think he’s slipped below the others in the depth chart anyway.

Given the reaction from the Chicago fans it seems like a great pickup to me. A solid defensive player, with “overstated skating issues’ and solid game IQ. Sounds like a guy named Scuderi and although I’m not drawing a direct comparison it does sound like a similar fit in terms of team role.

If you then factor in leaving him unprotected in the expansion draft, the retained salary and the contract slot heading back the other way there seems to be no downside.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Pretty good move. I expected to see a prospect's name that was at least in the top 50 of the Kings prospect list and was surprised it wasn't a player of note. The Kings pick up a player who has seen and experienced everything at this point in his career. There are much worse options out there as he's not a garbage defender at all. Add that Maatta doesn't need to be protected for the expansion draft and this is a freaking win. I expect they'll try him with Doughty, but if Bjornfot is paired with Drew 75% of the time, it's fine to slide Maatta in for high leverage situations that might be too big for a rookie from time to time.

Reactions: Guitpik

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
I've really got to hand it to Rob Blake.

1) he fills a hole on LD with at best a potential Top 4 option or at worst a gap filler till Clague and/or Blornfot are ready.
2) after a season, Maata is either good enough to extend or not good enough and can be exposed in the expansion draft. If he's not taken, he can always be bought out.
3) We take on most (but not all) of his cap hit but still have plenty of room to sign someone else if Maata doesn't work out.
4) We get rid of a contract in the deal for someone who had no future in the organization.
5) We give up nothing of value in terms of picks or prospects.
6) If Maata plays well, as a relative youngster still signed beyond this season, he could fetch a Martinez-type return at the trade deadline.

Who cares if Chicago gets to free up cap space. This deal potentially makes the Kings better and at worst has a minimal impact on our Cap situation in the following two seasons if he is bought out. There is only upside and no downside here. That is very rare indeed.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
He's 6'2" and 206 pounds. It seems he has some size. I don't know enough about him to say if he has some snarl.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
My expectation is that Blake finds someone to play with DD. Maata is a bottom pairing guy that skates poorly. Why waste cap space with all these teams out there in cap trouble. Kings do not need to "buy time". Why help a team we should be competing with for a wild card spot.

And what do you think the cost would be for a guy that is good enough to really be a legitimate pairing with DD and who would be willing to just dump a guy like that?

You aren't getting a guy like that for just some 2nd or 3rd round pick. It's easy to have an expectation but call your shot here. Who would you get and what would you pay for it? I think it makes for good discussion rather than just saying Maata is a bottom pairing which he isn't. He is probably a 3rd pairing guy.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
And what do you think the cost would be for a guy that is good enough to really be a legitimate pairing with DD and who would be willing to just dump a guy like that?

You aren't getting a guy like that for just some 2nd or 3rd round pick. It's easy to have an expectation but call your shot here. Who would you get and what would you pay for it? I think it makes for good discussion rather than just saying Maata is a bottom pairing which he isn't. He is probably a 3rd pairing guy.
Huh? Where did I say that? Last time I checked the 3rd pairing is the bottom pair.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I don’t see how you can complain about this deal. We didn’t lose any important assets, CHI retained some salary, and he seems like a decent defenseman. He’s young enough to stay if he surprises next season, if not he’ll get exposed. Nobody should be complaining about this move.

Reactions: funky

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I like it. He's 26 and already have 78 games of playoff experience and two cup rings. If he's good enough to play 18-20 minutes on those teams he's good enough to do it on the Kings.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I hate it. Pretty clear signal to the team that we're fine with another loser year -- can't wait to see DD excitedly waddling into camp.

What's the realistic better alternative? What potential acquisition out there is telling Doughty to get ready to care again?

My expectation is that Blake finds someone to play with DD. Maata is a bottom pairing guy that skates poorly. Why waste cap space with all these teams out there in cap trouble. Kings do not need to "buy time". Why help a team we should be competing with for a wild card spot.

Scuderi played with Doughty.

The irony of this one-sided deal is that it helps Chicago re-sign Kubalik.

Which Blake wasn't going to stop from happening.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Stellar move by Blake and Co.

Really solidifies the D in the short term but costing us nothing in terms of assets and very little in terms of contract obligations.

Reactions: LAKings88

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Huh? Where did I say that? Last time I checked the 3rd pairing is the bottom pair.

You mention a DD pairing guy. Who are the names? That's the question I am asking. You obviously have players and deals in mind. I am curious as to who they are?

He would be a 3rd pairing on a good team. He most likely will be a 2nd pairing guy on this team. The Kings are not a playoff team for at least a couple years anyway.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad