Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Olli Maatta from Blackhawks In Exchange for Forward Brad Morrison

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
It's basically a place holder-ish move with possible upside for more, plus it helps in the expansion draft. Cost nothing but a bit of cap space that isn't an issue this year or next.

If you are mad about it, your expectations for the upcoming season are unrealistic. It also takes two to tango so bemoaning this move v. signing Dillon means that Dillon would want to sign here. Sure, overpay to get him but what if he's going to be overpaid to begin with?
I think HookKing's expectations are unrealistic to begin with.

The Kings aren't contending for a wildcard spot. I think the Kings will be better than this past season, but we are realistically looking at a 12th place finish, maybe 11th.

I think even with the cap crunch, we are towards the bottom of the UFA's want to sign with list. Not only are we not making the playoffs, but CA has some of the highest taxes in the country.

It's only a two year deal, his salary will be less than what Scuderi's was and the Kings really gave up nothing of value

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
The 2nd time.
He's better than that.
And even if it doesn't work out, the Kings are really just giving up cap space, which we have a plethora of
hqdefault.jpg

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I think HookKing's expectations are unrealistic to begin with.

The Kings aren't contending for a wildcard spot. I think the Kings will be better than this past season, but we are realistically looking at a 12th place finish, maybe 11th.

I think even with the cap crunch, we are towards the bottom of the UFA's want to sign with list. Not only are we not making the playoffs, but CA has some of the highest taxes in the country.

It's only a two year deal, his salary will be less than what Scuderi's was and the Kings really gave up nothing of value
Well, yeah -- with OM on the top pair? Has anybody actually looked at the Pacific? It's looking absolutely pathetic. The only team out there an order of magnitude better than the Kings is Vegas and they have severe cap issues. Sure, Vancouver can be potentially much better but let's see how they get thru their cap issues. Edmonton, always 1 injury away from a lottery team -- now losing Klefbom. Calgary and Arizona are drifting and the Ducks suck. Sharks? -- dropping faster than a whale turd in the ocean. Losing is contagious, that's why endlessly rebuilding teams don't get anywhere.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, yeah -- with OM on the top pair? Has anybody actually looked at the Pacific? It's looking absolutely pathetic. The only team out there an order of magnitude better than the Kings is Vegas and they have severe cap issues. Sure, Vancouver can be potentially much better but let's see how they get thru their cap issues. Edmonton, always 1 injury away from a lottery team -- now losing Klefbom. Calgary and Arizona are drifting and the Ducks suck. Sharks? -- dropping faster than a whale turd in the ocean. Losing is contagious, that's why endlessly rebuilding teams don't get anywhere.

Yet, the KINGS are the team that just finished 2nd to last in the league. all these other horrible teams are technically a step ahead as of the end of this year. Are we going to push forward? Surely, and this move shouldn't be seen as anything that will actively handicap pretty literally no matter what.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
Yet, the KINGS are the team that just finished 2nd to last in the league. all these other horrible teams are technically a step ahead as of the end of this year. Are we going to push forward? Surely, and this move shouldn't be seen as anything that will actively handicap pretty literally no matter what.
Exactly

Shirley he can't be serious about the Kings doing any kind of contending this year.

If we were to analogize , last season was 2007, we are coming up on 2008 and they made they playoffs in 2009

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA

You still haven’t given any proposals with player names and who you would be parting with on the Kings end to get things done.

Dillon isn’t going to sign with the Kings unless they give him some sort of ridiculous overpay which isn’t happening. He is a UFA who could go to a contender and is only 29. Why would he sign with the Kings? Maybe if he were 35 and his options were limited but he controls the narrative here and he is not only going to get paid, he will get paid by a better team.

So what are your other alternatives based on who you expect will be available? This isn’t hard to do if you really feel that there are all these better options out there than Maata. I’m legitimately interested to see who you have in mind. It’s easy to just rip a deal and say there are other options. If the Kings are going to get something at the level of value you feel will move the meter then the compensation going to other way has to be commensurate. Would you not agree?

I look at this with zero emotion. It’s just business so I believe in asset management which they accomplished in this deal(No picks or players moved, no longterm liability) and ROI which at this stage is not hard to achieve because the Kings aren’t going anywhere for awhile.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Kings won't be competing next year - all our top prospects will be entering their first full pro year.

It's another year of Iaffalo, Roy, Walker, Lizotte, Kempe, Wagner and Grunstrom.

Reactions: Token

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I don't think the Kings will be making any major moves unless things change with Covid. I could see some mid year adjustments if the team looks competitive or someone jumps up and steals a spot like Lizotte did last year.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The Kings won't be competing next year - all our top prospects will be entering their first full pro year.

Is this anything new? I would thing the majority of us would know this.....you don't go from picking 5th, 2nd overall and suddenly start 'competing'.

Reactions: AzKing

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Define "endlessly".

The Kings have technically been rebuilding since January 28th, 2019. They haven't even been rebuilding for one and half full seasons. Maybe it feels longer since they haven't won a playoff game since 2016 but that's what happens when you have complete waste of time seasons like 2017 and '18.

They still added someone who they think is better than last year's stop gap in Hutton. I don't know who they are supposed to go all-in on right now but it is smarter to keep their powder dry for a bigger impact than someone like Dillon who will probably be an anchor contract in a few seasons. Dillon doesn't make this team a contender next season so the assumed best year of his contract is a waste of time.

As for being one injury away from being a lottery team, the Kings are no injuries away from being a lottery team.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Define "endlessly".

The Kings have technically been rebuilding since January 28th, 2019. They haven't even been rebuilding for one and half full seasons. Maybe it feels longer since they haven't won a playoff game since 2016 but that's what happens when you have complete waste of time seasons like 2017 and '18.

They still added someone who they think is better than last year's stop gap in Hutton. I don't know who they are supposed to go all-in on right now but it is smarter to keep their powder dry for a bigger impact than someone like Dillon who will probably be an anchor contract in a few seasons. Dillon doesn't make this team a contender next season so the assumed best year of his contract is a waste of time.

As for being one injury away from being a lottery team, the Kings are no injuries away from being a lottery team.
Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida, Arizona, Ottawa, Columbus, Winnipeg.

The Kings should have really solid goaltending next year. The D as lame as it looked was actually average. Bring in a strong top 4 vet and they should be top 10. The offense should gradually get better and better. There is no reason (other than AEG) for Blake to settle for Aki Berg II. You have talent rich teams begging players to wave their NTC's. This opportunity to fleece these guys may never come again.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA

The Kings should have really solid goaltending next year. The D as lame as it looked was actually average. Bring in a strong top 4 vet and they should be top 10. The offense should gradually get better and better. There is no reason (other than AEG) for Blake to settle for Aki Berg II. You have talent rich teams begging players to wave their NTC's. This opportunity to fleece these guys may never come again.

Who are the strong top 4 vets that you are hearing will be available and what talent rich teams are begging those vets to waive their NTC's? Just give us 3-4 names to discuss. Shouldn't be that difficult, right?

After that, tell us what type of deal you would construct for them that would make sense.

Reactions: Inner Turbulence

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I'm not as dialed in an all the league moves like I was back in my 20s, but I'll give this a shot:

Buffalo - Haven't they made several trades and/or FA signings? Are they rebuilding or just suck at trying to not rebuild?
Edmonton - They are a special case of ineptitude.
Florida - Did they not just make splashy moves last off-season?
Arizona - Did they not add last off-season and then trade for Taylor Hall?
Ottawa - Crazy owner but made ECF in 2017. Traded for Duchene in 2018 but it all fell apart. Special case of ineptitude here as well with Melnyk.
Columbus - A good team that couldn't keep its UFAs because it is Columbus, Ohio?
Winnipeg - WCF/First Round/Qualifying Round last three years. Rebuilding?

Anyways, who are the guys that you want Blake to acquire via fleecing and what do you think the price would be?

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark

Could you name some of the teams that are begging their players to waive NTC's in order to get rid of them? which teams are you looking to fleece for which players.

Surely you're not talking about Tyler Johnson with this excitement.

Reactions: AzKing

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Could you name some of the teams that are begging their players to waive NTC's in order to get rid of them? which teams are you looking to fleece for which players.

Surely you're not talking about Tyler Johnson with this excitement.

This is what I keep asking for 2 days and am still waiting on an answer. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a few names if there are so many out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->