Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Olli Maatta from Blackhawks In Exchange for Forward Brad Morrison

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Maata could thrive in LA.

LA is good at developing goalies and D and or rejuvenating players in the same position. We are good at killing forwards.

Came here to post this . Also I don’t think people realize Maata did pretty well last year in regular season and had 6 pts in 9 games in the playoffs .
Watch this trade end up being the steal of the decade in 2 years

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Doughty was successful with Sean O'Donnell as his partner. He just needs someone who is dependable and not mistake-prone. He was really guilty of trying to do too much and it showed. Being more reckless and making poor decisions trying to be the hero.

Reactions: Fat Elvis and bland

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Doughty was successful with Sean O'Donnell as his partner. He just needs someone who is dependable and not mistake-prone. He was really guilty of trying to do too much and it showed. Being more reckless and making poor decisions trying to be the hero.

Completely agree. There has been a theory floating around here that Doughty doesn't care or needs to be woken up, and that's hogwash. Doughty is the most competitive athlete I have seen since Jordan. He cares too much, tries to do way, way too much when times are tough, and runs himself ragged. He gets burned out every year around the same time when it becomes obvious that the Kings have had it.

Give Doughty meaningful hockey to play and he will be among the best in the game. Just don't expect him to nurture a team thru difficulties, I think there is plenty of evidence to show that he isn't real leadership material, it just is not in his personality.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't have any expectations for the 20/21 season. Not that I doubt in the team's ability, but with COVID messing everything up, it's not fair to use as a measuring stick or for expectations to be set.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Maatta will only be 28 when it's time for him to sign his next contract.

If he wants to continue to have an NHL career, he has motivation to play well here these next two seasons. It will be his last opportunity to get a significant pay day. I always like having players in this situation.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Luke Schenn did alright too. Not that he was spectacular, but surprisingly he was one of the better performers in an otherwise dismal playoff performance from the Kings that year.
Modin actually played pretty well for us too.

Hell, even Jamie Lundmark and Brent Sopal did well when they first got here.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Luke Schenn did alright too. Not that he was spectacular, but surprisingly he was one of the better performers in an otherwise dismal playoff performance from the Kings that year.

You are kidding, right? Wasn't he the one who was screening Quick on just about every goal? I still have PTSD from Schenn.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Playing Matta for 22+ minutes a night sounds like a bad plan. If the kings expect to improve next season with Matta in the lineup, he would slot in as a second pair defender playing 18 minutes a game. From all accounts, his skating isn’t good enough to play on the top D pair.

In the absence of additional moves, we’re looking at Bjornfot or Anderson playing with Doughty. Personally, I would love to see that type of experiment take place next season. Give the kids a real shot on the NHL roster and turn your #1 LHD into a platoon situation. You can give them both PP time and save their legs for even strength minutes by sheltering them from the main two PK pairs.

By the quarter season point you should have a good read on both players. And you can make a deal if one isn’t working out.

Reactions: KingTech

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
The only way you can complain about this deal is it's not exciting enough for you. That's on you if so.

My prediction (which admittingly are not worth crap) is that Bjornfot will be DDs primary partner this year. Maybe not to start the season, but when all is said and done this coming year...and going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad