Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Olli Maatta from Blackhawks In Exchange for Forward Brad Morrison

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Maatta can easily play with Doughty. Mr. Leadership might not like it, Maata might not be a top pair guy, but you can put him there. That might mean that the Kings aren't expecting to do anything next year, but I think we've all been assuming that anyway. Some improvement, the guys from the 2017-2020 drafts get another year, get through the expansion draft, and then start forming an actual team.
Well, yeah...they put Walker with Doughty and that lasted what -- one game? Same with Martinez -- two games maybe?

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Dillion is rumored to sign back in Washington or possibly Vancouver isn’t he? I admit the radio interview about always wanting to play for hometown Canucks could just be playing to the crowd.

And Sergachev is an absolute pipe dream. He’s the last player Tampa would deal for cap space, unless he didn’t want to be there (very very doubtful). We’d have to throw so much at Tampa to convince them to trade him. And it wouldn’t be worth it, of all of our best prospects the one with the most NHL experience has 10 games....
Not necessarily, Tampa is super strong on the left side and they are in win now mode. If they can't find takers for their expensive tradeable guys they may have no other choice. Look at Vegas, if they can't find a sucker for Fleury they will have to buy him out -- limiting their ability to fill out the roster.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Well, yeah...they put Walker with Doughty and that lasted what -- one game? Same with Martinez -- two games maybe?

Doughty and Walker played 250 minutes together at even strength. They were the 5th most frequently used D pair at even strength last year.

Hutton/Roy - 461:58
Mad/Walker - 338:19
Ryan/Doughty - 314:25
Hutton/Doughty - 298:01
Walker/Doughty - 250:15
Martinez/Doughty - 230:13

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Drew Doughty
Sean Walker
Matt Roy
Ben Hutton - likely gone
Kurtis MacDermid
Joakim Ryan
Mikey Anderson
Kyle Clague
Tobias Bjornfoot

So add no one to that D? Or are you saying the Kings should have waited for a better deal?

Ryan is a UFA. I gotta believe he and Hutton are walking and it’s going to be.

Doughty- Matta
Roy-Anderson
Walker-MacDermid
Clague is extra or rotating with Big Mac.

In Ontario they are pretty stacked with 8 D and don’t think they want to play the game they played last year with tons of D and major prospects sitting.

Bjornfot
Durzi
Phillips
Moverare
Brickley
Hults
Sadek
Strand - is he coming back?

Reactions: Legionnaire

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Great move, cant please everyone. Hopefully sorts out the expansion draft all in one hit.

Trading for a top pair D is premature. Theres idiots on here who want to give up Vilardi + Turcotte +++ for Sergachev. Then expansion draft happens and your exposing Roy or Walker so it ends up costing you 2 A prospects and a top 4 D.

This is a much better route, were still a season away from the 2019 draft forwards filtering into the lineup and making an impact. Give the prospects time to develop, when they are ready and established then is the time to make Hockey trades. Wait two seasons and your likely trading Vilardi for Sergachev straight up if thats what the lineup needs. This isn't Paul Ladue as our top prospect anymore, A lot of these guys are top quality prospects who should produce in the NHL, Theres no point in finally holding on to our picks to fill the cupboards if your just going to trade them away before they reach their potential and true value,

Reactions: Fat Elvis

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I can't believe Blake is going to do this DD again. Please tell us OM is a piece going elsewhere in a larger move.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Token

May 15, 2019
I can't believe Blake is going to do this DD again. Please tell us OM is a piece going elsewhere in a larger move.
Yawney already gave him Drew’s cell number.

They’re playing Fortnight right now, debating if he should take 6 or 7 for the next season ...

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Token

May 15, 2019
Ryan is a UFA. I gotta believe he and Hutton are walking and it’s going to be.

Doughty- Matta
Roy-Anderson
Walker-MacDermid
Clague is extra or rotating with Big Mac.

In Ontario they are pretty stacked with 8 D and don’t think they want to play the game they played last year with tons of D and major prospects sitting.

Bjornfot
Durzi
Phillips
Moverare
Brickley
Hults
Sadek
Strand - is he coming back?
Björnfot and Moverare are playing real hockey games right now. Wouldn’t be one bit surprised if they have a leg-up on the competition at training camp.

Strange days.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The irony of this one-sided deal is that it helps Chicago re-sign Kubalik.

The dude will want to be paid, bigtime. Start at 6-7 mil x 5. The Hawks still need a starting goalie. While trading Maata helped and they now sit at 11 mil in free cap, and his deal will probably hurt getting others RFA's signed.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Maatta? Wasn't he a disappointing healthy scratch in recent years?

But I guess for 2 years at 3.33M per it's okay, and I've just heard the name Brad Morrison for the first time in my life. As long as he isn't the next Kubalik....

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
Whatever happens to Doughty, he did it to himself by re-signing here. After the roster got its ass handed to it by Vegas no less.
Kings7824 be like

tenor.gif

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I know, its embarrassing. Be a f***ing professional and play to your fullest ability, theres a chance DD could drag us close to the playoffs almost singlehandedly if he wanted to.

Kinda weird that someone complaining about this move on this message board has been morphed into Doughty complaining about it in real life in less than a page, no?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kinda weird that someone complaining about this move on this message board has been morphed into Doughty complaining about it in real life in less than a page, no?

Yeah this is how rumors get started.

The original complaint is that we're chopping off Drew's legs for the umpteenth year in a row.

Yeah he needs to carry his own weight too but he's been carrying two people's weight for years.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
This really is a Lombardian move, hopefully less Brent Sopel and more Mitchell or Scuderi.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It's basically a place holder-ish move with possible upside for more, plus it helps in the expansion draft. Cost nothing but a bit of cap space that isn't an issue this year or next.

If you are mad about it, your expectations for the upcoming season are unrealistic. It also takes two to tango so bemoaning this move v. signing Dillon means that Dillon would want to sign here. Sure, overpay to get him but what if he's going to be overpaid to begin with?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->