Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Olli Maatta from Blackhawks In Exchange for Forward Brad Morrison

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
olli-maatta-parade.jpg
Too hip, gotta go.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Was fully expecting LA to give up one of the 3 second round picks to acquire a top 4 serviceable defenseman. I did not expect a trade like this. Feels like a win-win. Chicago gets rid of cap space and a player they weren't too high on. LA gets a bridge player who can play top 4 minutes and can be exposed in the expansion.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
meet your new whipping boy!

Given that we’ve endured Jamie McBain, Randy Jones, Keaton Ellerby, Christian Ehrhoff, Rob Scuderi (on his second run), Oscar Fantenberg all occupying that role in previous years, a season or two of Maatta isn’t going to make or break the Kings.

He’s here to buy time, without having to overspend on a UFA or lose any significant assets. I don’t know what your expectations are.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Checks off all the boxes except the top pairing one. Gave up nothing, got salary retained, short contract, low risk medium reward, NHL games for the roster, expose-able in expansion.

Määttä is a quality top 4 guy, who can (if played, given correct role) contribute offensively as well, to top his quality defending.
Its just for Pittsburgh, he was not given any chance to to even try to play offensive game. (minus one season)

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I feel like this is a bigger deal than just the standard take on the disgraced ex-touted first-rounder. I think Maatta looked pretty good with the Hawks. I think he will play well with our youth and speed. This will either fizzle into like an Ellerby kind of acquisition, but there is a chance here that this could be a steal.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Määttä is a quality top 4 guy, who can (if played, given correct role) contribute offensively as well, to top his quality defending.
Its just for Pittsburgh, he was not given any chance to to even try to play offensive game. (minus one season)

I thought he was always the guy getting hurt in Pitt?

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I hate it. Pretty clear signal to the team that we're fine with another loser year -- can't wait to see DD excitedly waddling into camp.

So this deal that has absolutely no downside to it signals that the Kings are fine with being a loser? This is how you get things done without giving up assets and also using your cap space the right way.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this deal. There is no quick fix to just becoming a contender.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
You guess is as good as anyone's. I think filling a top for vet d role was a big need. I think now, it really depends on who is available.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Given that we’ve endured Jamie McBain, Randy Jones, Keaton Ellerby, Christian Ehrhoff, Rob Scuderi (on his second run), Oscar Fantenberg all occupying that role in previous years, a season or two of Maatta isn’t going to make or break the Kings.

He’s here to buy time, without having to overspend on a UFA or lose any significant assets. I don’t know what your expectations are.
My expectation is that Blake finds someone to play with DD. Maata is a bottom pairing guy that skates poorly. Why waste cap space with all these teams out there in cap trouble. Kings do not need to "buy time". Why help a team we should be competing with for a wild card spot.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
My expectation is that Blake finds someone to play with DD. Maata is a bottom pairing guy that skates poorly. Why waste cap space with all these teams out there in cap trouble. Kings do not need to "buy time". Why help a team we should be competing with for a wild card spot.

I look at him as a guy that can be paired up with Wagner and play more of the defensive role.

I see your bottom two pairings of defenseman receiving roughly the same amount of playing time. I think in that type of role he will do OK

It is also another healthy body that can play the game that may allow Blake the opportunity to trade one of our kids for a top hearing left-handed Dman like Sergachev

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Given the names that were linked to LA, like Edmundson, this move matches up with that type of dman. Bjornfot, Anderson and Clague (and possibly others) are being groomed to be that future top 3-4 dman. They weren’t getting that in free agency, nor are they going to be able to get a Sergachev like defenseman, which is a pipe dream

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark

Maatta is not a "bottom pairing guy" on this Kings team. Come on. He's a smart steady supporting guy who can also put up a few points. At 26 he has played 6 full seasons in the NHL. Compare that to our other 25-26 year olds on the blue line.

This guy will help the team. AT WORST he is a roster-filler until he can be exposed a year from now at expansion. Something I believe the Kings don't currently have (that they want to expose).

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010
Ok I'm liking this. I think the key is the expansion draft. If we went big on 2 LDs we would be losing a good player in the expansion draft. Hopefully he can mesh with Roy or Walker and be a decent #4 and next year he either gets taken or is a decent 5/6

Reactions: Guitpik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad