Post-Game Talk: Kings 5, Pens 3: Can't Win 'Em All

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
It's always the worst players on this team who have the biggest mouths. Scuderi, Orpik, Adams.. it's infuriating.

Why exactly is Crosby the captain again? He's not a "lead by example" captain anymore. He's not a call out your team mates kinda captain. He's a make banal statements to the media, work up a sweat but avoid anything where you might get hurt again kinda captain...

Though the deflection goal was exactly the kinda thing that's been missing. If he plays near the net he can still be the best player in the NHL doing that. We just only see it every once in a while now.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I find it hard to imagine that Johnston benched Dupuis, but stranger things have happened I guess.

It wasn't just Dupuis. Both he and Scuderi stepped off the ice with 7:02 left in the third, and never stepped back on.

I'd have a really hard time believing that Johnston and his coaching staff don't know what's what with their roster. They've been around hockey long enough. It seems to be a team culture (ie: higher up) thing that keeps guys like Scuderi and Dupuis in the lineup.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Dupuis should be closer to healthy scratch material than on Sid's line. I don't think Kunitz was ever this bad.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett actually looked pretty good once they were put together, I thought. The same way Bennett-Crosby-Hornqvist looked pretty good. You put that second creator (Bennett) out there and it changes the entire dynamic of the line.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I just really wish Plots would find a little bit of puck luck now. It's insane how many posts he's hit and how many terrific passes he's made to linemates that haven't been converted. The guy should probably have 5 or 6 more points than he has on the season, and a few goals as well.

I hope Johnston remains patient with him because the points will come if he keeps playing like this.

AFAIK the entire coaching staff has had nothing but good things to say about Plotnikov. And rightfully so. He's earned his spot in the lineup, and he's earning looks in a bigger role than the 4th line. The points/goals will start to come for him, I have little doubt of that.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_PGH 1h1 hour ago
Scuderi, Cullen and Fehr not happy with Penguins' effort in L.A. today.

No worries, boys. Scuderi isn't happy and is about to lay the hammer down. Kings are happy though, getting rid of Scuderi.

I hope Cullen gives it to them. I feel like Scuderi speaking falls on deaf ears because he's such a big part of the problem. Cullen's a fresh face to the organization, has a ton of experience, has won a Cup, and has been playing great in the role he's been given (4th line / PK). He's the kind of guy that needs to step up and be a leader in the locker room.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Dumoulin is a beast. So glad we somehow managed to keep him seeing the way we give away prospect every deadline.

As much as I'd like to have both Despres and Dumoulin right now... I'm starting to believe that Dumoulin might actually be the better of the two. Despres is a dynamic player with a lot of flash, but Dumoulin is just so very solid in every aspect of the game.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
This team plays scared hockey. The defensemen are always looking to back up. the forwards have no clue where other players are going to be. I think the system is just to complex for playmakers to be reactive and creative on the fly rather than thinking things through.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
you know we are bad when most of the king board thnks that we are too. REad their thread and you will see them saying, great players, crappy team (quote).

Cole and scuds do nothing for me. Maatta isn't looking too great and LJ is a great number 6 but no more. The only 4 defence I trust at all are dumo, Letang, maatta and LJ but I feel maatta and LJ should be on line 4/5 currently. Our defence sucks balls.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I have to admit that I am both saddened and yet impressed that this fan base still holds out a little hope that things will change for the better under this current regime and core.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We win that game if Kessel does his job. And thats with us playing like **** for half the game. **** the Kings. That organization is trash.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
has it been confirmed that dupuis was actually benched for the end of the game, and not just held out due to injury precautions or whatever?

We win that game if Kessel does his job. And thats with us playing like **** for half the game. **** the Kings. That organization is trash.

why do you say that? they are a better run organization than the penguins.

I have to admit that I am both saddened and yet impressed that this fan base still holds out a little hope that things will change for the better under this current regime and core.

haha, yeah, its funny to see.

Malkin112*

Kessel had two point blank chances to score. He missed them.

That **** happens every game.

To blame the loss on Kessel alone is hilarious.

How about those horrible turnovers and missed assignment in the defensive zone??

kj5knDY.jpg

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
We can all complain about the usual suspects again and we would be right, but the problem is clear as day, the defense just does not cut it. It is not even the defensive side of things, it is the simple matter of getting the puck towards the right teammate. Almost every time, a defenseman would just blindly throw the puck up ice or hit the wrong teammate with a pass, someone with the least amount of options.

Malkin112*

Happens every game to multiple players lol. The team isn't good defensively. But I guess that's all Kessel's fault too.

No. Kessel is one of the worst defensive players I have ever seen. He needs to put up close to ppg and 40g or he isn't worth it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How about those horrible turnovers and missed assignment in the defensive zone??

kj5knDY.jpg

Here's the thing... I don't tink that's a Kessel thing, like you do. I see that a lot. The puck goes into the corner and all of our team collapses to the strong side corner. Basically they are saying "Go ahead and try to get a puck through 5 guys...." because it creates a 5 on 4 where technically the d-man is out of the picture.

However... the puck gets through more often than not. That's a schematic issue. Not a Kessel issue. It has created a lot of turnovers, too.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
you know we are bad when most of the king board thnks that we are too. REad their thread and you will see them saying, great players, crappy team (quote).

Cole and scuds do nothing for me. Maatta isn't looking too great and LJ is a great number 6 but no more. The only 4 defence I trust at all are dumo, Letang, maatta and LJ but I feel maatta and LJ should be on line 4/5 currently. Our defence sucks balls.

I got through their PGT as well, funny they almost feel bad for our fans, how crappy team we have,

here is something to think about from one of their posters, just to highlight what a screw up job this organization did since 2009

"Every time the Kings face the Penguins, I think back to watching the SCF in 2009 and being so jealous that the fans of the two finalists were so damn lucky to have teams that good. Wondering if we'd ever get there. 6 seasons later and the Penguins couldn't hold the Kings jock and Kopitar and Jeff Carter are out there outplaying Malkin and Crosby head to head. Good times."

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Here's the thing... I don't tink that's a Kessel thing, like you do. I see that a lot. The puck goes into the corner and all of our team collapses to the strong side corner. Basically they are saying "Go ahead and try to get a puck through 5 guys...." because it creates a 5 on 4 where technically the d-man is out of the picture.

However... the puck gets through more often than not. That's a schematic issue. Not a Kessel issue. It has created a lot of turnovers, too.

not just a schematic issue, its been happening to Pens way to often, its inability to win those board battles, its their one guy cleanly beating Malkin and Lovejoy here
its the same thing that has been killing our PP, lack of jump and lack of desire or skill to get to the puck faster and outmuscle them on the wall

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why exactly is Crosby the captain again? He's not a "lead by example" captain anymore. He's not a call out your team mates kinda captain. He's a make banal statements to the media, work up a sweat but avoid anything where you might get hurt again kinda captain...

Though the deflection goal was exactly the kinda thing that's been missing. If he plays near the net he can still be the best player in the NHL doing that. We just only see it every once in a while now.

Because you don't throw away a decade's worth of leading by example over a relatively minuscule bad stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad