Post-Game Talk: Kings 5, Pens 3: Can't Win 'Em All

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Here's the thing... I don't tink that's a Kessel thing, like you do. I see that a lot. The puck goes into the corner and all of our team collapses to the strong side corner. Basically they are saying "Go ahead and try to get a puck through 5 guys...." because it creates a 5 on 4 where technically the d-man is out of the picture.

However... the puck gets through more often than not. That's a schematic issue. Not a Kessel issue. It has created a lot of turnovers, too.

Beat me to it. That's exactly what that was. They try to overload, and there's no way Kessel does that without being instructed to in practice or film sessions.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
On a team with so many guys drastically underperforming, I think we should leave the handful of guys that are producing at close to their normal abilities alone. Namely Kessel, Malkin, & Fleury.

If you want Kessel to be more engaged physically and better defensively, that's fair. But that's not his game and he's not part of the problem right now.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I love how people constantly bring up Sid having the C like naming a different captain is gonna make one ****ing iota of difference with this team's issues. :laugh:

Our coach is an idiot, our blueline is in shambles, and we are out one top-6 LWer. Changing the captaincy is surely gonna make a difference.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
On a team with so many guys drastically underperforming, I think we should leave the handful of guys that are producing at close to their normal abilities alone. Namely Kessel, Malkin, & Fleury.

If you want Kessel to be more engaged physically and better defensively, that's fair. But that's not his game and he's not part of the problem right now.
Really... because that's what winning clubs do. I don't expect Mats Nasund but take a hit for the betterment of the team. Win a board battle to clear the zone. Do something to shed that rep as a loser that doesn't care.

Even more than that... lose the gut. You don't have to be Rod Brindamour but be able to accept a pass over your belly.

Kessel is a huge issue. He wasn't brought in for 2ndary scoring. He was cast away as a cancer from the worst team in the league which say enough... that he's still fat and uncaring says all I need to know about him.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Really... because that's what winning clubs do. I don't expect Mats Nasund but take a hit for the betterment of the team. Win a board battle to clear the zone. Do something to shed that rep as a loser that doesn't care.

Even more than that... lose the gut. You don't have to be Rod Brindamour but be able to accept a pass over your belly.

Kessel is a huge issue. He wasn't brought in for 2ndary scoring. He was cast away as a cancer from the worst team in the league which say enough... that he's still fat and uncaring says all I need to know about him.

I don't know why you keep calling him fat. He's not.

7449d7c0-403c-11e5-94a4-ff9c2bb2de41_CMEgREoWsAELdfs.jpg

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He was absolutely brought in for secondary scoring. Why else would you acquire him?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I guess the Toronto media has made some new hires recently.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He was absolutely brought in for secondary scoring. Why else would you acquire him?
To be an elite winger. The ability is ther the want is not.

Any other pics of him? The riding the bike gif. Watch him skate turn and crossover.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
not just a schematic issue, its been happening to Pens way to often, its inability to win those board battles, its their one guy cleanly beating Malkin and Lovejoy here
its the same thing that has been killing our PP, lack of jump and lack of desire or skill to get to the puck faster and outmuscle them on the wall

Yeah I mean.. I can't disagree with that. Desire and hunger are two things missing, but that happens when you build an organizational culture like a country club atmosphere. Why the **** would anyone have hunger when the organization doesn't stress hunger? Ya know?

Because you don't throw away a decade's worth of leading by example over a relatively minuscule bad stretch.

I always think being the captain is earned... but they aren't holding anyone accountable in the entire organization, so it'd be utterly worthless to take the C away from Sid. Start by keeping people accountable first. IF Sid throws hissy fits and doesn't want to be part of the team (never will happen), then take it away.

Jumping to taking the "C" away is stupid. The org has not kept anyone accountable forever. To jump straight to that is ridiculous.

Although... I could make a strong argument that Geno does deserve the "C" more than anyone. He's been a leader in every single way.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Oh goodie, we're going to the Kessel is fat and out of shape arguments now! SUPER!!

Phil Kessel is #40 on the list of things wrong with the Pens.

Again, every single player's point total is down, is it that alarming Kessel's is as well?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wow.. I can honestly say I'm shocked about the Kessel discussion. The guy dodges hits and scores goals. That's who he is :laugh: Why did you expect him to be Hossa or some 2 way player? He's not going to forecheck hard. He's going to pick his spots and finish. He's done so this year.

I don't think there is a worse system for his game than the one played by MJ. So there's that...

edit: Looks like the masses are pro-Kessel. Let's not let the minority speak for our HF Pens ;)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Its not about taking the C away from Sid. Its about him being the C he should be.... and isn't.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Any other pics of him? The riding the bike gif. Watch him skate turn and crossover.

I have a problem with him not finishing chances like yesterday and fanning on passes from 71 because thats really all he brings. I knew the player we were getting.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People who call Kessel fat either are making stuff up just to complain about or just genuinely have no clue what they're talking about. It's just so hilariously not true that it completely invalidates your opinion.

Kessel is a soft offensive winger. That's what he is. I'm not going to complain that a cat doesn't bark. If you expected him to be more, that's your own fault.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Its not about taking the C away from Sid. Its about him being the C he should be.... and isn't.

Okay... but nobody is holding him accountable and haven't since MT left. I obviously hold Sid accountable for his own piss poor play, but stars need coached and held accountable, too. Every star. I've seen the best of the best get coached and their games evolved.

Seriously.. blame the organization as part of it. I'm not casting all the blame away from #87, but at least half needs to be.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
We're a blowout loss today away from blaming MAF for his lack of goal scoring. I mean he hasn't even registered a single shot on net!!!

That's less ridiculous than jumping on Phil and his play right now.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

wrong things to be concerned about

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Things to complain about:

-Our coach being a junior caliber coach that doesn't have the guts to bench the veterans or the knowledge to actually put the best team out there
-A severely underperforming #1D that is being paid to be one of the best D in the league
-A severely underperforming star center
-3 albatross contracts on the roster that are playing prominent roles
-A soft roster that lacks intensity and grit
-We have 2 top-6 wingers that are on pace for less than 35 points that we traded serious assets for
-The guys we were relying on stepping up to compensate for us losing the veteran D have miserably failed outside of Dumoulin

I can continue listing issues if you want. Basically, there are so many more issues that complaining about Kessel is so non important as compared to the other issues.

Malkin112*

let's blame Malkin it's easier that way. Phil is best in the world

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
wrong things to be concerned about
OK lets get back to bottom pairing defensemen and Craig Adams.

Does the good out weight the bad with kessel? Its not 1989 anymore. The Rob Brown types didn't even work back then. Those are the types you cast out to bring in the Joe Mullens.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
You're right. They totally should have brought in one of the dozen of Joey Mullen clones in the FA pool.

Joe Mullen, Kevin Stevens, whoever would have trouble putting up numbers in this system.

tumblr_inline_nyhxm3rqXX1rvo8q2_500.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes