Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season - The Luc and Rob ****show Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
There have been some really shitty moves done obviously, but it's pretty obvious that this year is an anomaly (which is offsetting last year) and the Kings are more of a black hole team than a DFL team. Yes, losing sucks, but enjoy it, it's not often the team is in the mix for a really good talent. The last time we were this bad, we ended up with Doughty and look how that turned out. With a couple more savvy trades and a little luck, we'll have something to look forward to in a couple years. And as much as we'd love to wipe pretty much the entire squad, Blake needs to make sure he doesn't sell low on anyone and get solid returns on transactions.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Vilardi is the biggest set back so far. Talented kid. LA could really use him. Hope he can recover. If he does, having say Kopi, Hughes, Vilardi down the middle looks awfully nice.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
today, we use 2 adjectives: 'maladroit' and 'replete' to best describe the LA Kings:::

"The Los Angeles Kings team are replete with a roster of maladroits"

REPLETE:
  1. filled or well-supplied with something.
    synonyms:filled, full, well stocked, well supplied, well provided, crammed, crowded, packed, jammed, stuffed, teeming, overflowing, bursting, brimful, brimming, loaded, overloaded, thick, solid, charged, abounding;
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

MALADROIT:
  1. ineffective or bungling; clumsy.
    synonyms:bungling, awkward, inept, clumsy, bumbling, incompetent, unskillful, heavy-handed, ungainly, inelegant, inexpert, graceless, ungraceful, gauche, unhandy, uncoordinated, gawky, cloddish, clodhopping, flat-footed, lumbering
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Martinez is better than Burakovsky. Burakovsky has been trending downwards the past couple of years.

Yeah, I would rather get a prospect like Grundstrom for Martinez. Burakovsky is on a 3 million dollar contract that is ending following this season so his QO will be at least 3, for a player with 12 points on the season(For reference Toffoli has 20 and people on here are already saying he is no longer and NHL player).

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If it were Martinez for Burakovsky, a first and a LHD prospect Alex Alexeyev, you’d have to be all over that.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I would be shocked if there are any more 1st round picks to be acquired. No one else other than Muzzin, DD, Kopitar are worth getting a #1 pick (plus more) Possibly Quick, if the
Kings retain salary or take back a contract. I see Martinez getting the next most back - maybe a #2 pick and B+ prospect.

So, the rebuild is going to absolutefreakingly REQUIRE more than 2 of: Kupari, JAD, Clague, Thomas, Vilardi (if possible) Grundstrom, Durzi and the two #1
2019 picks to become stellar players...and most of those to reach near their potential'. If the bulk of them 'top out' to the Amadio / Fantenberg level, then 1-2 rabbits must also
be pulled out of the hat, like a Prokhrokin signed and actually be a 20 goal NHL scorer and / or or some free agent """"freak level Panarin""" to be signed. Going to be a few lean
years ahead. If the Kings get top 5 overall pick this year and next, must be impact players.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I would be shocked if there are any more 1st round picks to be acquired. No one else other than Muzzin, DD, Kopitar are worth getting a #1 pick (plus more) Possibly Quick, if the
Kings retain salary or take back a contract. I see Martinez getting the next most back - maybe a #2 pick and B+ prospect.

So, the rebuild is going to absolutefreakingly REQUIRE more than 2 of: Kupari, JAD, Clague, Thomas, Vilardi (if possible) Grundstrom, Durzi and the two #1
2019 picks to become stellar players...and most of those to reach near their potential'. If the bulk of them 'top out' to the Amadio / Fantenberg level, then 1-2 rabbits must also
be pulled out of the hat, like a Prokhrokin signed and actually be a 20 goal NHL scorer and / or or some free agent """"freak level Panarin""" to be signed. Going to be a few lean
years ahead. If the Kings get top 5 overall pick this year and next, must be impact players.

I agree completely. They need to find a couple of star players in the next couple of drafts to really build the next group around. The last core of star players (Kopitar, Quick, Doughty) were all drafted over a three year period and it made life much easier in regards to adding secondary pieces.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The Kings need to hit on someone later on in the draft. If you look at the top end teams, you will find one, maybe two important pieces that they got later in the draft (rounds 4-7).

The last time the Kings struck gold outside the first 3 rounds was in 2007 with Martinez (4th round).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I honestly wouldn't.

People do amazingly stupid things under the pressure of expectations and the TDL.

Certainly not going to say I expect it, only that it's not farfetched that like Martinez or Toffoli would pull a first.

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I honestly wouldn't.

People do amazingly stupid things under the pressure of expectations and the TDL.

Certainly not going to say I expect it, only that it's not farfetched that like Martinez or Toffoli would pull a first.

I hope so....would subscribe to this moreso in Martinez was more like 28 yrs old (although has great contract - 2 more yrs at 4 mil) and if Toffoli
had about 13-15 goals NOW, and not 8 goals. If he dd have 13-15 goals now, they may be more apt to keep him. He's been pretty brutal all year.

Other pieces like Carter, Hagelin, Thompson, Lewis, etc, just won't be able to get pieces back that help the rebuild - except clear cap space.

I don't mean to sound so dismal, but feel that is the reality....I do have very high hopes for Kupari, JAD, Grundstrom, and pretty high hopes for Clague, Thompson and Mikey Anderson (if they sign him after this yr. should be noted his brother Joey signed after his Soph yr there with the Devils - if he was not compelled to stay there with his brother, no reason Mikey may stay) When I say high hopes for JAD and Grundstrom - mean they will actually be a level above the Wagners, Rempals and Luffs*...and not exactly top 6 forwards that produce 15+ goals and 40+ pts. Although it's possible. For Kupari, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the 25+ goal, 60+ points player we hope - but not exactly this coming season. Kopitar had 60+ points his first year.

Luff gets an asterisk, as he's kind of a wildcard that may be a very good player and be able to score 15+ goals. I hope he does.I also think that 15 goals is the 'new' 20 goals from yesteryear.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Martinez has alot going for him.

His contract and age sync perfectly. Any team trading for him now gets a 31 year old #4 d-man whos contract runs basically through his productive prime. You won't have to worry about paying the guy when he's 35 or 36. A guy turning into a Lucic, Kesler, Richards or Phaneuf is a real concern for contending teams trying to trade for guys, and you avoid that with AMart.

He is also one of those players who can fit into alot of teams, he is capable of playing either side, he can play a faster game or a grind it out game. I think with how competitive the East is, especially the Metro, I would be surprised if Blake couldn't get someone to give him a 1st.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I agree completely. They need to find a couple of star players in the next couple of drafts to really build the next group around. The last core of star players (Kopitar, Quick, Doughty) were all drafted over a three year period and it made life much easier in regards to adding secondary pieces.

Getting the 5th pick in 2009 also helped to add secondary pieces.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Martinez has alot going for him.

His contract and age sync perfectly. Any team trading for him now gets a 31 year old #4 d-man whos contract runs basically through his productive prime. You won't have to worry about paying the guy when he's 35 or 36. A guy turning into a Lucic, Kesler, Richards or Phaneuf is a real concern for contending teams trying to trade for guys, and you avoid that with AMart.

He is also one of those players who can fit into alot of teams, he is capable of playing either side, he can play a faster game or a grind it out game. I think with how competitive the East is, especially the Metro, I would be surprised if Blake couldn't get someone to give him a 1st.

He's honestly one of the most dynamic and flexible d-men that could be available to anyone, the way he's morphed through his career has been nothing short of incredible.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Getting the 5th pick in 2009 also helped to add secondary pieces.

Well if the Kings draft 3 players near the level of Quick, Kopitar and Doughty between the 2017 and 2020 drafts I am ok with trading the #1 in 2021.

Problem is the Kings haven't drafted a 1st liner or 1st pairing d-man in over a decade.

Reactions: yankeeking

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Well if the Kings draft 3 players near the level of Quick, Kopitar and Doughty between the 2017 and 2020 drafts I am ok with trading the #1 in 2021.

Problem is the Kings haven't drafted a 1st liner or 1st pairing d-man in over a decade.

And Quick wasn't even supposed to be the guy. It just sort of ended up that way. It'll also help the rebuild if they don't lose the 4th overall pick to waivers.

Crazy how non-linear the road to the Cup was, can be, and usually is.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It feels like the TDL is being shaped by what is going to happen in OTT and CLB. In a way, the sens are competing with the Kings to sell and they have better players and more motivation than the Kings. However, I think the sens and every team is waiting to see what happens with Panarin. So it could suck if he isn’t traded.

I think Columbus is a perfect trading partner for the Kings. I’d love to see something like this go down between the teams.

Quick and Toffoli for Bobrovsky, Sonny Milano, Liam Foudy and Alex Texier.

BJs need depth on the wings and I think TT is ready for a change of scenery. Plus JQ is a great playoff goalie and a complete 180 from Bob. He’ll be motivated because his buddy Cam Atkinson is on the team. BJs want to make the second round for the first time in franchise history. To move Quick there given the situations of both teams makes total sense. They can afford both players and would be sending back some decent futures for the Kings.

The Kings getting Bob could be spun in a positive direction with the whole Euro movement underway with the Kings. And he’s a good goal tender when not sulking and is someone who could be resigned at a discount if he’s happy in LA. Milano could slot in right away or could also help Ontario. And the two prospects are pretty good from what I can tell based on age and pedigree.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Bob has zero incentive to waive his NTC for the Kings though. He's only going to waive it to a contender or someone willing to meet his demands on a long term contract, neither of which describes the Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad