Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season - The Luc and Rob ****show Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
• We took a deep dive on the likely timing of a Jonathan Quick trade here. Let’s add a brief update to this. If the Florida Panthers can somehow pull off a trade with Columbus for goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, don’t be surprised to see the Blue Jackets announce a deal for Quick soon thereafter. From what we understand, preliminary discussions have taken place and the interest is there. There’s a lot of ifs tied to this scenario; however, it makes good sense on many levels. CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen has to be coming to grips with the fact he will likely lose his top two free agents this summer. Trading them now could hamper their playoff aspirations. Yet, adding Quick would give them cost certainty in net for a few years and provide a solid mentor for young Joonas Korpisalo. For us, the most curious part of the deal would be if Blake could get a first rounder next season. The Kings already have two this year. Having another pair next year could be better than having three this year.

10 Tidbits: Updated Notes on Upcoming LA Kings Trade Scenarios

This would make a good bit of sense, though I don't necessarily agree with CBJ trading their 2020 1st rounder (see Senators, Ottawa) I would think they would be more willing to trade their 2019 1st.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I question Pierre LeBrun’s senses here. Here’s a blurb today from The Athletic concerning the Kings:

"Now that Jake Muzzin has been moved, my sense is that the Los Angeles Kings will likely hold onto to Alec Martinez.

He’s signed for two more years after this season at a reasonable $4-million cap hit. Yes, the Kings are rebuilding/re-tooling but I think GM Rob Blake feels Martinez is important to keep on board through that.

So really now it’s about a pair of pending UFAs for the Kings in terms of moving out Carl Hagelin and Nate Thompson before the deadline."

Reactions: KopitarFAN

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
• We took a deep dive on the likely timing of a Jonathan Quick trade here. Let’s add a brief update to this. If the Florida Panthers can somehow pull off a trade with Columbus for goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, don’t be surprised to see the Blue Jackets announce a deal for Quick soon thereafter. From what we understand, preliminary discussions have taken place and the interest is there. There’s a lot of ifs tied to this scenario; however, it makes good sense on many levels. CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen has to be coming to grips with the fact he will likely lose his top two free agents this summer. Trading them now could hamper their playoff aspirations. Yet, adding Quick would give them cost certainty in net for a few years and provide a solid mentor for young Joonas Korpisalo. For us, the most curious part of the deal would be if Blake could get a first rounder next season. The Kings already have two this year. Having another pair next year could be better than having three this year.

This would make a good bit of sense, though I don't necessarily agree with CBJ trading their 2020 1st rounder (see Senators, Ottawa) I would think they would be more willing to trade their 2019 1st.

Quick to CBus is a best case scenario.

Especially if they get a first.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I question Pierre LeBrun’s senses here. Here’s a blurb today from The Athletic concerning the Kings:

"Now that Jake Muzzin has been moved, my sense is that the Los Angeles Kings will likely hold onto to Alec Martinez.

He’s signed for two more years after this season at a reasonable $4-million cap hit. Yes, the Kings are rebuilding/re-tooling but I think GM Rob Blake feels Martinez is important to keep on board through that.

So really now it’s about a pair of pending UFAs for the Kings in terms of moving out Carl Hagelin and Nate Thompson before the deadline."
We'd be lucky to get a 4th rounder out of Hagelin and Thompson.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

From the article..."However, the key in any deal is ensuring they get back in return what they need to re-tool quickly."

If "quickly" is 1-2 years then that sounds like players coming back...mid to low 1st round picks are not "quick" fixes. Most won't be ready to fully contribute for 3-4 years if ever.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What’s Phaneuf’s buyout cap hit look like?

Dion Phaneuf Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

In a buyout situation, the Kings would save $4,083,333 in year one, $1,583,333 in year two, and be tacked on with a buyout cap hit of $1,416,667 in years three and four.

The two years remaining on Phaneuf's contract is spread out to four years as a result of a buyout. The big saving comes next season, with a small bit of savings in the second year, but they'll face a cap hit in later years, though it won't be an astronomical amount.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
From the article..."However, the key in any deal is ensuring they get back in return what they need to re-tool quickly."

If "quickly" is 1-2 years then that sounds like players coming back...mid to low 1st round picks are not "quick" fixes. Most won't be ready to fully contribute for 3-4 years if ever.

Only way a "retool" works "quickly" is if they nab a Top 2 pick this year and that player has an immediate, substantial impact.

As you mentioned prior to the Muzzin trade, the Kings have nobody to replace him now or next season. Have to imagine they will be bad next year as well.

Guess it comes down to what "quickly" means. For me, that can easily mean three years as opposed to a five-year plan and the ask for Quick could be a prospect and the 1st. Prospect would be someone they see contributing as soon as next season but in 2021, at minimum.

Get Hughes. Hope that one of the current forward prospects is actually Top 6 material by 2021. Get Vilardi a back transplant. Hope that any of the current D prospects is at least a #4. Should have cap space/flexibility to make moves in 2021, if warranted.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

In a buyout situation, the Kings would save $4,083,333 in year one, $1,583,333 in year two, and be tacked on with a buyout cap hit of $1,416,667 in years three and four.

The two years remaining on Phaneuf's contract is spread out to four years as a result of a buyout. The big saving comes next season, with a small bit of savings in the second year, but they'll face a cap hit in later years, though it won't be an astronomical amount.

As much as I do not like him they should not buy him out till after next year.

Reactions: funky

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

Would any of that cap apply to the Senators if there were a buyout? It appears that the buyout calculation was based on his cap hit of 7, but the Senators are retaining 1.75 of his cap. So, I wonder if the full buyout penalty would hit the Kings or not.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Would any of that cap apply to the Senators if there were a buyout? It appears that the buyout calculation was based on his cap hit of 7, but the Senators are retaining 1.75 of his cap. So, I wonder if the full buyout penalty would hit the Kings or not.

According to the buyout calculator info:

This contract was involved in a retained salary transaction. The resulting costs and cap hit are therefore split between each team based on the percentage of salary retained by the respective teams.
  • Ottawa Senators: 25%

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
According to the buyout calculator info:

This contract was involved in a retained salary transaction. The resulting costs and cap hit are therefore split between each team based on the percentage of salary retained by the respective teams.
  • Ottawa Senators: 25%

Thanks, guess I looked right over that section. So it seems like the Kings would be look at cap hits of 2.17, 4.05, 1.05 and 1.05. To be honest that is not all that bad, not worth it because the team is likely not competing, but it wouldn't be crippling.

Reactions: YP44

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
John Hoven

"Tyler Toffoli is safe for now. After previously exploring moving him earlier this season, the latest round of intel we’ve gathered suggests the Kings are now planning to keep the 26-year-old forward… for at least another year. In short, combined with his low trade value and their desire to see what he’ll do under a new coach next season, Toffoli will most likely stay in a Kings uniform. He’ll be on a short leash, no doubt."

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
One tidbit I don't understand is why the Kings stay wed to Derek Forbort. He's not great at much of anything, so he's not the kind of player you rebuild/retool around. The worst part is that his passes regularly torpedo the Kings' attack. If you can get an asset for a borderline bottom pairing player, why wouldn't you? You could have any number of players play next to Doughty and look good.

What is the value for Derek Forbort? Could he reel in a 2nd round pick?

Reactions: deaderhead28

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
One tidbit I don't understand is why the Kings stay wed to Derek Forbort. He's not great at much of anything, so he's not the kind of player you rebuild/retool around. The worst part is that his passes regularly torpedo the Kings' attack. If you can get an asset for a borderline bottom pairing player, why wouldn't you? You could have any number of players play next to Doughty and look good.

What is the value for Derek Forbort? Could he reel in a 2nd round pick?

If Forbort is that bad, why would any team give a 2nd round pick for him ?

Reactions: KingsFan7824

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
In the Athletic article, Blake mentions that the organization is lacking in high-end forwards, and it isn't easy finding them in trades.

It also isn't easy finding them at the draft when your organization has continuously overlooked talent for a number of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad