Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season - The Luc and Rob ****show Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
It's only 12% of the 11 year deal he signed.

If Jeff Carter is worth $20 mill is it really worth it to play three seasons somewhere he doesn't want to be for another 4 after taxes? It might not be.

Umm, yes? Even after taxes, $4 million is a lot of money. Are you rich or something where $4 million is pocket change for you? You could use that as a downpayment to buy an entire apartment building and live off rent money. There is no way that Carter is leaving $4 million after taxes on the table, unless he was a super business savvy guy is secretly worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

If Jeff Carter is worth $20 mill is it really worth it to play three seasons somewhere he doesn't want to be for another 4 after taxes? It might not be.

Umm, yes? Even after taxes, $4 million is a lot of money. Are you rich or something where $4 million is pocket change for you? You could use that as a downpayment to buy an entire apartment building and live off rent money. There is no way that Carter is leaving $4 million after taxes on the table, unless he was a super business savvy guy is secretly worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Plenty of athletes retire before their contracts are up, you act as if it's completely unheard of.

What if Carter is traded to Winnipeg, spends the rest of the season there and he and his wife decide it's not for them and they would rather settle in LA for good?

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

I would be VERY surprised if he was willing to walk away from 20% of his total worth in your model there.These guys might be millionaires, but 4 million is nothing to sneeze at, especially not for 2-3 years work.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I would be VERY surprised if he was willing to walk away from 20% of his total worth in your model there.These guys might be millionaires, but 4 million is nothing to sneeze at, especially not for 2-3 years work.

Yeah, I tend to agree. More likely would be Carter's agent "whispering" to other teams that his client would not be overly happy if he were traded. Is Carter happier in his current lifestyle than in his pursuit to win another cup? That is a legitimate question that other teams will be asking.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Thinking about scenarios where Carter is traded with less incentive to retire would include states with a lower tax burden than CA. Hello Dallas Stars and Florida Panthers.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Who's more responsible for this season, Quick and the other goalies or the skaters?

The Kings are 9 goals away from being 30th in offense.

Kopitar is leading the team in scoring with 20 points as we're getting closer to the halfway mark.

The Kings would be even worse with bad goalies. That's scary.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Jeff Carter - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Carters career earnings is projected to be $75.8m.

By the end of this season, he will have been paid around $68m of that.

He could retire at any point easily.
I don't think anyone is saying Carter COULDN'T retire and live comfortably. I just don't think it's likely that he walks away from another 7 million dollars, whatever that ends up being after agent fees and taxes. I didn't realize I'm the only person posting here that doesn't wipe his ass with $1,000 bills.

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So if Carter is really willing to walk away from any deal he's not happy with, he essentially has a NMC. I'd say assume he's going to stick around, until proven otherwise. They probably missed their chance to trade him years ago, but nothing can be done about that now, so whatever.

They'll be selling low on Toffoli. No leverage when it comes to Muzzin or Martinez. Unfortunately none of them are UFA's this year. This time next year though, Toffoli and Muzzin might be easier to trade, as there's no commitment.

Thinking about scenarios where Carter is traded with less incentive to retire would include states with a lower tax burden than CA. Hello Dallas Stars and Florida Panthers.

With no contract to take back in either situation. Neither team can just add Carter for nothing. Maybe take Hanzal back, but he's got the NTC, and I'm sure he likes the lower tax too.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Why all this talk of possibly trading Carter? He's one of the few contracts that DL got right.

He closes out his 3 years (starting next year) with salary of $3m, 2, and 2.

?? what am I missing? (besides a few more goals!!!)

Reactions: deaderhead28

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Why all this talk of possibly trading Carter? He's one of the few contracts that DL got right.

Because that attractive contract can get us a quality return?? Why have this guy rot away on a non-contending roster for the next 3 years. Blake needs to infuse a youth direction to this team...NOW.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
This...the league knows Carter lost his speed and his game. His contract in truth, is horrible, as NO WAY he plays 3 more years and thus the last 2 for sure are a liability.
I will be shocked if he can play 1 more full season. His game has / is going as fast as Richards' was.
7.1 shooting % and he is a big part of the failed #29 PP and #29 PK. And is soft, easy to play against
and should be traded or waived.

jonathan davis‏ @westcoasthky
FollowFollow @westcoasthky
More
A quote from a Western Conference Asst GM on Jeff Carter. “That burst that he had and his ability to skate past players is not there. Have to believe last seasons injury is still an issue. Would be leery in trading for him.” Carter has just two even strength goals this season.

Last edited: Thursday at 12:48 AM

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Blake and Luc can't blame DL for this disaster, this one is solely on them. A fair and reasonable evaluation of the team in the summer of 2017 should have shown that they were done contending and they had an excellent older player to deal for future assets, instead Luc and Blake thought they were contenders and will end up getting pennies on the dollar for Carter because of the injury.

The Lucic trade and the failure to trade Carter at the right time, just look at the wasted assets with those decisions.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Blake and Luc can't blame DL for this disaster, this one is solely on them. A fair and reasonable evaluation of the team in the summer of 2017 should have shown that they were done contending and they had an excellent older player to deal for future assets, instead Luc and Blake thought they were contenders and will end up getting pennies on the dollar for Carter because of the injury.

The Lucic trade and the failure to trade Carter at the right time, just look at the wasted assets with those decisions.

I'll mildly defend Blake & Co. on the Carter issue. A valuable 2C is pretty rare in this league and you don't trade one away unless you have one ready to step in. Thanks to Lombardi, the Kings had no one in their organization even remotely ready. I wouldn't have made a Carter trade either if I were Blake given the circumstances. They are trying to find a replacement and may have one in either Vilardi or JAD (only time will tell).

The trade for Lucic was Lombardi's crowning achievement of hubris. Absolutely dreadful from the moment it happened.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Part of me feels bad for Blake because he really did take over a pretty hopeless situation, I mean with Pearson flaming out and Toffoli not far behind it's almost unbelievable to look at how crappy the Kings drafted from 2009-2016, there is literally not a single top 6 forward or top 4 d-man drafted and developed on the team from that time frame. But Rob has done very little to improve the situation, he seems to have just co-signed the strategy Lombardi was employing in his final 3 seasons.

Really, really, really needed to go outside the organization with the GM and coach hires after DL and DS were fired.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

32 years old, with 5 years left on his contract when Blake got the job. If you go to NHL trades for 2017-18 - NHL Trade Tracker, there aren't many guys that old, that many guys with that long of a contract, and especially guys that are that old with that long of a contract, getting traded in the in the summer of 2017. Maybe Blake made a fair and reasonable evaluation, and there wasn't anything out there to do. Maybe there were no assets out there for Carter. Maybe other GMs looked at Carter at 32 with 5 years left and said, hmmm, what if that guy gets hurt? What am I willing to give up for that risk? We can say the Kings should be willing to retain 50% to make any deal happen because they're not going to win anyway, but just to use the league wide example again, how many teams are retaining that much on multi-year contracts? If there are any, it's very few. If the Kings were to do it, fine, but nobody should expect that sort of thing.

Of course it's also possible that Blake did not make a fair and reasonable evaluation, missed on or didn't even know about some great offer that was out there, and we're left with watching whatever is left of Carter.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
32 years old, with 5 years left on his contract when Blake got the job. If you go to NHL trades for 2017-18 - NHL Trade Tracker, there aren't many guys that old, that many guys with that long of a contract, and especially guys that are that old with that long of a contract, getting traded in the in the summer of 2017. Maybe Blake made a fair and reasonable evaluation, and there wasn't anything out there to do. Maybe there were no assets out there for Carter. Maybe other GMs looked at Carter at 32 with 5 years left and said, hmmm, what if that guy gets hurt? What am I willing to give up for that risk? We can say the Kings should be willing to retain 50% to make any deal happen because they're not going to win anyway, but just to use the league wide example again, how many teams are retaining that much on multi-year contracts? If there are any, it's very few. If the Kings were to do it, fine, but nobody should expect that sort of thing.

Of course it's also possible that Blake did not make a fair and reasonable evaluation, missed on or didn't even know about some great offer that was out there, and we're left with watching whatever is left of Carter.

The Kings could have gotten something very good for Jeff Carter, a two time SC winner with a very low cap hit coming off a very big season who can effectively play C or RW. Contending teams would have been knocking down the doors to trade for him.

Luc and Blake thought the team could still contend though...

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Part of me feels bad for Blake because he really did take over a pretty hopeless situation, I mean with Pearson flaming out and Toffoli not far behind it's almost unbelievable to look at how crappy the Kings drafted from 2009-2016, there is literally not a single top 6 forward or top 4 d-man drafted and developed on the team from that time frame. But Rob has done very little to improve the situation, he seems to have just co-signed the strategy Lombardi was employing in his final 3 seasons.

Really, really, really needed to go outside the organization with the GM and coach hires after DL and DS were fired.

Iafallo? Brickley, Rempal? Petersen? Granted Brickley and Rempal aren't regular NHLers yet, Rob has done a decent job signing College FA's.

Also Rob was just hired 1.5 years ago, not even close to enough time to drastically improve the situation after the good year the team had last year, not out of the realm management thought they had another two years left in this core. Now Rob is reassessing and will make moves accordingly by trimming some of the fat off.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Iafallo? Brickley, Rempal? Petersen? Granted Brickley and Rempal aren't regular NHLers yet, Rob has done a decent job signing College FA's.

Also Rob was just hired 1.5 years ago, not even close to enough time to drastically improve the situation after the good year the team had last year, not out of the realm management thought they had another two years left in this core. Now Rob is reassessing and will make moves accordingly by trimming some of the fat off.

I am all for signing more college players, the NCAA was largely ignored by the former regime. But signing a bunch of depth NCAA guys is not really going to do much for the big picture.

Reactions: KINGS17

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
I am all for signing more college players, the NCAA was largely ignored by the former regime. But signing a bunch of depth NCAA guys is not really going to do much for the big picture.
Brickley was a top College FA last year and Rempal was decently touted and was just named AHL rookie of the month, not fair to call them just depth yet.

Just seems like sometimes people forget Rob has been GM not even two years yet, and in his first year the team was competitive and playing well most of the year, can't predict this big of a fall IMO. Give him time to see what he can do in trimming players and acquiring future assets.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot