Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season - The Luc and Rob ****show Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
John Hoven

10 Tidbits: Updated Notes on Upcoming LA Kings Trade Scenarios

"Tyler Toffoli is safe for now. After previously exploring moving him earlier this season, the latest round of intel we’ve gathered suggests the Kings are now planning to keep the 26-year-old forward… for at least another year. In short, combined with his low trade value and their desire to see what he’ll do under a new coach next season, Toffoli will most likely stay in a Kings uniform. He’ll be on a short leash, no doubt."

They don't think Leipsic gets resigned, he actually was one of the current players I enjoy watching, maybe its his stick to stick passes, maybe its the fact he is not afraid to mix it up and fight for the puck,
maybe its because he has speed.

Like his game

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Dion Phaneuf Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

In a buyout situation, the Kings would save $4,083,333 in year one, $1,583,333 in year two, and be tacked on with a buyout cap hit of $1,416,667 in years three and four.

The two years remaining on Phaneuf's contract is spread out to four years as a result of a buyout. The big saving comes next season, with a small bit of savings in the second year, but they'll face a cap hit in later years, though it won't be an astronomical amount.

Oy.

Better to just keep him to help the tank.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
One tidbit I don't understand is why the Kings stay wed to Derek Forbort. He's not great at much of anything, so he's not the kind of player you rebuild/retool around. The worst part is that his passes regularly torpedo the Kings' attack. If you can get an asset for a borderline bottom pairing player, why wouldn't you? You could have any number of players play next to Doughty and look good.

What is the value for Derek Forbort? Could he reel in a 2nd round pick?

In any deal, if you think the guy isn't good, don't expect an actual GM to think he's good. If a guy is good, don't expect full value in return. If you want a top line type player, be prepared to see something of actual value go the other way, unless you get lucky and buy low. Which sort of goes back to point #2.

No, a guy that isn't great at anything, and provides nothing offensively, is not going to bring back a 2nd.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Only way a "retool" works "quickly" is if they nab a Top 2 pick this year and that player has an immediate, substantial impact.

As you mentioned prior to the Muzzin trade, the Kings have nobody to replace him now or next season. Have to imagine they will be bad next year as well.

Guess it comes down to what "quickly" means. For me, that can easily mean three years as opposed to a five-year plan and the ask for Quick could be a prospect and the 1st. Prospect would be someone they see contributing as soon as next season but in 2021, at minimum.

Get Hughes. Hope that one of the current forward prospects is actually Top 6 material by 2021. Get Vilardi a back transplant. Hope that any of the current D prospects is at least a #4. Should have cap space/flexibility to make moves in 2021, if warranted.
ll
I don't think it will happen quickly if people think it's going to happen in a year, even if they get the #1 overall pick. Hughes for example would only be 18 years old next season. This is still the NHL, and these are grown ass men. It is very unlikely that an 18 or 19-year old is going to have an immediate impact. Maybe an impact in 3 years would be my best guess, so I think you are right on target.

By then Kopitar will be really set in his rocking chair.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
They don't think Leipsic gets resigned, he actually was one of the current players I enjoy watching, maybe its his stick to stick passes, maybe its the fact he is not afraid to mix it up and fight for the puck,
maybe its because he has speed.

Like his game

If they don't re-sign Leipsic, I'm throwing things.

He's absolutely 'replaceable,' but he brings a motor and a creativity that no one else does, and has played with all heart since the moment he got here in a season when 75% of the roster is dead on any given night. Reward the guy. Especially in the 'new NHL' (ugh) having a guy that creative in your bottom six is a boon.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
"Good team, good coaching, good plan, and it's easy to follow," said the defenceman. "They're very clear in how we're supposed to play, and that's how we're playing."

Interesting quote from Muzzin about the Leafs.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

BakerMayfield

Feb 4, 2019
What would you guys look for in a Quick to Columbus trade ?

Guys like Foudy, Bemstrom, Texier and Gavrikov probaly arent going anywhere.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
What would you guys look for in a Quick to Columbus trade ?

Guys like Foudy, Bemstrom, Texier and Gavrikov probaly arent going anywhere.
Talk is that LA wants another first at least. 2020 first seems likely. Maybe a b prospect too. Honestly Quick will be hard to move in season. Columbus seems like a fortuitous opportunity. Quicks term is long but reasonable. Some injury concerns but the guy is still a really good goalie. Could be exposed in the Seattle draft too possibly if needed.

BakerMayfield

Feb 4, 2019
Talk is that LA wants another first at least. 2020 first seems likely. Maybe a b prospect too. Honestly Quick will be hard to move in season. Columbus seems like a fortuitous opportunity. Quicks term is long but reasonable. Some injury concerns but the guy is still a really good goalie. Could be exposed in the Seattle draft too possibly if needed.

I think theyll try to get a first in a Bob or Panarin trade before they trade a first for quick, but i could see something like a 1st and Carlsson.

We have 2 young goalies to be excited about, and a goalie whos 25 probably coming to the NHL next year after spending alot of time in europe and obviously Korpisalo.

The trade could even be the first and Merzlinkis (the 25 year old goalie prospect)

I don't see them getting a 2020 first unless its lottery protected From Columbus because Columbus wont want to put themselfs in an Ottawa situation, granted they shouldnt be as bad, but you never know.

Reactions: LAKings88

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
In the Athletic article, Blake mentions that the organization is lacking in high-end forwards, and it isn't easy finding them in trades.

It also isn't easy finding them at the draft when your organization has continuously overlooked talent for a number of years.

I'll give Blake some credit, because he is atleast keeping the picks and drafting highly skilled players. In years past we were either trading the picks or taking guys like Lewis, Tuebert and Forbort in the 1st round. Atleast Blake acknowledges that, and I think most knowledgeable fans know how pathetic the farm system he took over was, it was an embarrassment and people will give Blake time, but he needs to stop being so married to this core, that doomed DL and it will doom Blake to if he half-asses this rebuild.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I think theyll try to get a first in a Bob or Panarin trade before they trade a first for quick, but i could see something like a 1st and Carlsson.

We have 2 young goalies to be excited about, and a goalie whos 25 probably coming to the NHL next year after spending alot of time in europe and obviously Korpisalo.

The trade could even be the first and Merzlinkis (the 25 year old goalie prospect)

I don't see them getting a 2020 first unless its lottery protected From Columbus because Columbus wont want to put themselfs in an Ottawa situation, granted they shouldnt be as bad, but you never know.
Kings wouldnt want a goalie prospect at all

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'll give Blake some credit, because he is atleast keeping the picks and drafting highly skilled players. In years past we were either trading the picks or taking guys like Lewis, Tuebert and Forbort in the 1st round. Atleast Blake acknowledges that, and I think most knowledgeable fans know how pathetic the farm system he took over was, it was an embarrassment and people will give Blake time, but he needs to stop being so married to this core, that doomed DL and it will doom Blake to if he half-asses this rebuild.

Other teams need to want the guys they can freely trade from the core.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
NHL.com - Stats

Toffoli has 15 goals in his last 82 games. Only 11 at 5v5, and a 6.3 sh%. He gets 3 shots per game, but can't do anything with them.

NHL.com - Stats

The 30th most amount of shots on goal in the league in the last year, and his sh% is only better than the various defensemen that get pucks on net often. His 38 points are also quite low in relation to everyone else that gets the puck to the net as much as he does. Most are above 60 points, if not 90 and 100, and 20, 30, 40+ goals. Toffoli's TOI is actually on the lower end of that list of players though, so when he's out there he does what he needs to do to score, he just can't get close the deal.

BakerMayfield

Feb 4, 2019
#1 and Andrew Peeke?

I don't think anything will happen with Quick until around the draft.

I think i would do that. I like peeke, but i would feel comfortable with our other d prospects to give him up. I dont see the blue jackets waiting until the draft to trade for quick though since they are still in the playoff hunt.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
NHL.com - Stats

Toffoli has 15 goals in his last 82 games. Only 11 at 5v5, and a 6.3 sh%. He gets 3 shots per game, but can't do anything with them.

NHL.com - Stats

The 30th most amount of shots on goal in the league in the last year, and his sh% is only better than the various defensemen that get pucks on net often. His 38 points are also quite low in relation to everyone else that gets the puck to the net as much as he does. Most are above 60 points, if not 90 and 100, and 20, 30, 40+ goals. Toffoli's TOI is actually on the lower end of that list of players though, so when he's out there he does what he needs to do to score, he just can't get close the deal.

Sorry, you are dead wrong, it doesn't fit the narattive that Toffoli is useless and does nothing out there no matter what.....need to fit the facts to that narrative, then you can be right.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sorry, you are dead wrong, it doesn't fit the narattive that Toffoli is useless and does nothing out there no matter what.....need to fit the facts to that narrative, then you can be right.

Well I mean he does need to be more productive. His points/60 in the last 82 games is 1.64. That's tied with Ryan Spooner. 154th out of 227 forwards that have played at least 70 games since 2/5/18. His goals/60 is tied with Tomas Nosek. 161st out of 227 forwards.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well I mean he does need to be more productive. His points/60 in the last 82 games is 1.64. That's tied with Ryan Spooner. 154th out of 227 forwards that have played at least 70 games since 2/5/18. His goals/60 is tied with Tomas Nosek. 161st out of 227 forwards.

No question about it....but as you mentioned, the chances are there, his 6.1 shooting percentage, is so far below his career norm, it can only go up, kinda like William Karlsson and his 23.4 shooting percentage last year came down to normal, of 14.4,

IF Toffoli had an "average" career shooting percentage of 10.4, he'd have 15 now, be 2nd on the Kings, and all this talk about him not doing anything etc wouldn't be happening etc.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Some people suggested Toffoli to Boston for their 1st or to Buffalo for SJ's 1st, I'd take any deal that includes a 2019 1st and run with it. Blake and his scouts then are looking at four picks in the top 35. That is how you quickly fix a mess. If they hang onto Toffoli and he bombs again next season they will get a Dwight King like return at the deadline. And if he bounces back is anyone comfortable giving TT another multi-year extension? I know I'm not. It clearly makes sense to move him now.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Some people suggested Toffoli to Boston for their 1st or to Buffalo for SJ's 1st, I'd take any deal that includes a 2019 1st and run with it. Blake and his scouts then are looking at four picks in the top 35. That is how you quickly fix a mess. If they hang onto Toffoli and he bombs again next season they will get a Dwight King like return at the deadline. And if he bounces back is anyone comfortable giving TT another multi-year extension? I know I'm not. It clearly makes sense to move him now.

I can agree with this, I wasn't saying not to move him, just that the assessment of him not doing anything is wrong.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
In the beginning of the 2016 season, if i remember correctly, Toffoli was ligting it up. He then took a big hit and slowly started a decline. Then i think it was only a couple weeks later that he took another big hit and actually missed some games. He has not been the same since these hits. He doesnt get to dirty areas and if he does hes a little bit late. Timing is out of sync on a lot of rushes. Rarely does he try to beat the opposing defense on a dump in. He did it last night and got a nice assist at the end of the game. Im down on him lately because i know he can be better. But i really do think those couple hits he took a couple years back were the start of his lackluster offense.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
In the beginning of the 2016 season, if i remember correctly, Toffoli was ligting it up. He then took a big hit and slowly started a decline. Then i think it was only a couple weeks later that he took another big hit and actually missed some games. He has not been the same since these hits. He doesnt get to dirty areas and if he does hes a little bit late. Timing is out of sync on a lot of rushes. Rarely does he try to beat the opposing defense on a dump in. He did it last night and got a nice assist at the end of the game. Im down on him lately because i know he can be better. But i really do think those couple hits he took a couple years back were the start of his lackluster offense.

It was a hit from Josh Anderson on December 20, 2016 that took out Toffoli until February with what was believed to be an upper body injury (may have been his shoulder). And you're right, he hasn't been the same player since then.

He also took this hit that same month a few games prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad