Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season - The Luc and Rob ****show Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I think i would do that. I like peeke, but i would feel comfortable with our other d prospects to give him up. I dont see the blue jackets waiting until the draft to trade for quick though since they are still in the playoff hunt.

#1 and Peeke sound good. He's RHD in his 3rd year at Notre Dame.

Andrew Peeke at eliteprospects.com

Big, mobile defenceman with great vision and hockey sense. Possesses a hard, accurate shot, but needs to use it more. Smooth skater, but has room for improvement in his acceleration with the puck. Reads plays well in his own end and has a well-rounded understanding of the defensive game. Starting to play a gritty game, but that will take time to develop. Physical game is definitely ripening.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoktorJeep

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Some people suggested Toffoli to Boston for their 1st or to Buffalo for SJ's 1st, I'd take any deal that includes a 2019 1st and run with it. Blake and his scouts then are looking at four picks in the top 35. That is how you quickly fix a mess. If they hang onto Toffoli and he bombs again next season they will get a Dwight King like return at the deadline. And if he bounces back is anyone comfortable giving TT another multi-year extension? I know I'm not. It clearly makes sense to move him now.

Wings had 4 picks in top 36 last year, not in the NHL.
This is a process(development) and not all the picks will pan out, it will take time. There is no quick fix, we with only see how the turnaround is going in year 3+

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
It was a hit from Josh Anderson on December 20, 2016 that took out Toffoli until February with what was believed to be an upper body injury (may have been his shoulder). And you're right, he hasn't been the same player since then.

He also took this hit that same month a few games prior.

Glad you could remember it was Anderson and thanks for finding the video! I knew it happened but just couldnt remember the details. If you remember that time well, wasnt Toffoli a top scorer in the league and playing a pretty dominant offensive game?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Some people suggested Toffoli to Boston for their 1st or to Buffalo for SJ's 1st, I'd take any deal that includes a 2019 1st and run with it. Blake and his scouts then are looking at four picks in the top 35. That is how you quickly fix a mess. If they hang onto Toffoli and he bombs again next season they will get a Dwight King like return at the deadline. And if he bounces back is anyone comfortable giving TT another multi-year extension? I know I'm not. It clearly makes sense to move him now.

I think he's gone one way or another by the end of next season. Whether it's now, the draft, next deadline, or he simply walks, the Cup contracts are done. Nobody is getting anything after Doughty. Pearson is gone, Muzzin is gone. Doubt you get a 1st for a guy at the low point of his career so far.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Glad you could remember it was Anderson and thanks for finding the video! I knew it happened but just couldnt remember the details. If you remember that time well, wasnt Toffoli a top scorer in the league and playing a pretty dominant offensive game?

No that definitely wasn't the case in 2016-17. He had 8 goals and 20 points in 32 games in the first three months of the season.

After returning from his injury, he scored 8 goals and 14 points in 31 games.

You can check the breakdown here:
Tyler Toffoli 2016-17 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Last season in the first three months of the season he was much better with 17 goals and 28 points in 39 games. Then in the next 43 games he scores 7 goals and 19 points.

This season's performance further illustrates just how wildly inconsistent of a player Toffoli is, and they're not paying him $4,600,000 per year to be a grinder who can chip in, because he's not good at that aspect of the game either.

Reactions: Schmooley

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Kovalchuk is still an amazing player. Whoever acquires him will still be receiving a player who is competent inside the offensive blueline, unlike most of his teammates. If the Kings do have to retain salary, then the assets acquired in a trade for him better be worthwhile. Otherwise I'd rather just hang onto him.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
For a long time, we saw how underrated Muzzin and Martinez are around the league, at least from fans perspective. There's a lot that goes into success - talent, right situation at the right time, and so on.

What Jake is doing in Toronto can only help Martinez' value if he is traded this year, it's surely a good time to look at moving him. His value might not get any higher than this trade deadline. He scores huge goals at the hugest of times, carries around a sack of pixie dust, and has a lot of leadership qualities. That's highly desirable for a team heading into the playoffs.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What Jake is doing in Toronto

He's played 3 games. You make it sound like he's revolutionized the position.

Martinez is what he is. Everyone knows what he is. There are no secrets. If fans don't stay up or care to watch the Kings, that doesn't change value. He scored 2 huge goals a couple weeks apart a few years ago. That's not he scores big goals all the time. He, along with the rest of the team, had an insane run to that Cup. King had a huge conference final once too. He's a role playing defenseman. His value will be the same today, as it was yesterday, and as it will be tomorrow.

By all means though, trade him today if there's a deal to be made. He's got no future here.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Amazing news today if it turns out true that Kovy is willing to leave (mission accomplished Willie!) and there are buyers. You almost want to retain salary with him to improve returns. Florida has to be a front runner or maybe Dallas if they get desperate. And there is always a return to Uncle Lou, which would be great.

Also saw the Mayor speculated about Quick to Columbus. I’ve been on that trade bandwagon all week, and Columbus has two forward prospects you’d kill for in Foudy and Texier. Either of them and a first for Quick, with no retained salary, would be huge for the Kings.

Tank and trade baby!

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
I understand the sentiment, but I think we are better off winning and then trading. If we jettison a half-dozen players by the deadline, tanking mode will be fully engaged then.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He's played 3 games. You make it sound like he's revolutionized the position.

Martinez is what he is. Everyone knows what he is. There are no secrets. If fans don't stay up or care to watch the Kings, that doesn't change value. He scored 2 huge goals a couple weeks apart a few years ago. That's not he scores big goals all the time. He, along with the rest of the team, had an insane run to that Cup. King had a huge conference final once too. He's a role playing defenseman. His value will be the same today, as it was yesterday, and as it will be tomorrow.

By all means though, trade him today if there's a deal to be made. He's got no future here.

It's just speculation obviously, but...

It's 3 games, but it just reinforces that the Kings are excellent at developing defense and goalies, which other GM's already know.

I think you are underestimating his clutchness. Since 13-14 and he became a fixture, he's got more GWG and OT goals than any other Kings defenseman. He has more playoff OTG's than any other defenseman league wide, and is second only to Keith (4) in GWG (he has 3). That's pretty significant if you are gunning for a cup.

Just saying that most GM's don't think logically, and seeing what Muzzin is doing in Toronto as the TDL approaches may get them interested in a guy like Alec more than they normally would be. If you are from the East, 1. He's from the Kings, which had a dominant defense that he was part of, and 2. your competition appears to have improved significantly and you don't have a lot of time to try and catch up. Sending a package is always easier when its to the other conference.

We should definitely take advantage if this is the case.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Also saw the Mayor speculated about Quick to Columbus. I’ve been on that trade bandwagon all week, and Columbus has two forward prospects you’d kill for in Foudy and Texier. Either of them and a first for Quick, with no retained salary, would be huge for the Kings.

It'll probably neither of them if they're that good(the Kings aren't trading a 26 year old Quick), and a lottery protected 1st, if not a 1st in 2020 outright. If there's a 1st involved at all.

Columbus isn't the only desperate team here. Petersen has to be re-signed. They don't want to lose Campbell on waivers. The Kings are in a bit of a bind too.

Reactions: sinister6000

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I could see the Islanders being a fit for Kovalchuk. They could fit his cap hit and maybe could view him as somebody who could help their 26th ranked PP. They have some reclamation project prospects like Dal Colle and Ho-Sang who they will need to make decisions on by next fall.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
The Kings can't afford to wait too long to move these older guys along. They made a mistake not dropping Mike Richards, and signing Brown to his horribly long deal. So they have make sure they take advantage of these playoff teams, and get these bad contracts off the books.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think you are underestimating his clutchness. Since 13-14 and he became a fixture, he's got more GWG and OT goals than any other Kings defenseman. He has more playoff OTG's than any other defenseman league wide, and is second only to Keith (4) in GWG (he has 3). That's pretty significant if you are gunning for a cup.

GWG can be deceptive. The 2nd goal of a 6-1 win is called the game winner. The 2nd goal in the 1st period in a 2-1 win in the game winner. Neither of those is really a game winning scenario. 3v3 in the regular season is just 3v3 in the regular season. Again, the playoff OT goals came within a couple weeks of each other. It's not an annual thing. The Chicago goal was a deflection after Williams made the play, and it was a hell of a read and pinch against the Rangers.

You can't trade for Martinez expecting Jazz Hands. That he has the most GWG in playoff OT shows that defensemen don't tend to score those often, and he's already got 2. Since 13-14, 72 F have scored an OT winner, while it's 12 D. Some of those 12 D include Jackman, Hickey, Phaneuf, Edmundson, Garrison, and Girardi. As well as a few top defensemen like Subban.

Martinez can be a solid defenseman, as can Muzzin, but let's not get nuts.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I only trust the TSN guys and Jon Rosen.

Everyone else throws rumors out there ass holes. I'm sure Kovalchuk would love to move his entire family elsewhere after just settling in.

I dunno playing in Vegas or San Jose would not be a big deal really..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad