Killing Time Thread: Movies, Music, etc. Anything SFW That Kills Time Part 3

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I had read about that and the shop suggested I do that first when I called last night so I undid the screws and started popping the laptop keyboard cover off slowly while watching a YT vid on how to do it correctly and I chickened out as I have a tendency to make things worse when I take shit apart :laugh:.

No its not powered by USB-C, its your run of the mill 1/2" long or so round aux input.
Shitty, an internal battery? I understand the fear. It's very easy to short something when getting in there so I understand the apprehension. I tried with my last laptop to replace a memory module when the diagnostics diagnosed that one of the RAM were failing and successfully replaced it. Unfortunately, the same issue popped up a couple weeks later making it a motherboard issue and that was a wasted piece of RAM.

Probably best to just try the power source and hope that's all it is. If it makes you feel better, I've blown 2 laptop power sources, a couple batteries and 3 desktop power sources in my time owning computers. Every other failed component doesn't add up to the number of failures I've seen related to just power sources, so I think the odds are in your favor and if you do need to do the battery it's not crazy difficult.

Second most failed component for me is Video Cards which happened twice. Motherboards twices, once when it was only 13 months old (yup out of warranty). One hard drive and one memory module.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Shitty, an internal battery? I understand the fear. It's very easy to short something when getting in there so I understand the apprehension. I tried with my last laptop to replace a memory module when the diagnostics diagnosed that one of the RAM were failing and successfully replaced it. Unfortunately, the same issue popped up a couple weeks later making it a motherboard issue and that was a wasted piece of RAM.

Probably best to just try the power source and hope that's all it is. If it makes you feel better, I've blown 2 laptop power sources, a couple batteries and 3 desktop power sources in my time owning computers. Every other failed component doesn't add up to the number of failures I've seen related to just power sources, so I think the odds are in your favor and if you do need to do the battery it's not crazy difficult.

Second most failed component for me is Video Cards which happened twice. Motherboards twices, once when it was only 13 months old (yup out of warranty). One hard drive and one memory module.

Yeah the damn thing is internal. Just like a car these days, simple part to replace but have to tear the engine apart to get to it. I was tempted to buy extended warranty on it too but didn't.

I'm basically hoping for the best but expecting the worst; however, seeing all the power related component issues you've experienced gives me a bit more confidence it's a power thing.

I think I've owned three computers. A power surge f***ed my first one, the second one is an old Apple mini running off mountain goat or some damn animal operating system...it still works but Google now gets mad and says your operating system is geriatric AF so it's a paper weight now lol. As I said in my OP, the latest addition is this laptop which is just over 2 years old.

Thanks again for all your posts. :)

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
@bone

Tech guy left me an e-mail. He said its looking like a complete system board failure.:mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:

Then my wife has the goddamn nerve to blame me for causing it because I changed a setting.

Hopefully he can pull the data off it and at least salvage that.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
@bone

Tech guy left me an e-mail. He said its looking like a complete system board failure.:mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:

Then my wife has the goddamn nerve to blame me for causing it because I changed a setting.

That blows. Sorry to hear that. The odds of it happening because of that setting change basically are non-existent but probably best to just let her be mad and take the hit.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That blows. Sorry to hear that. The odds of it happening because of that setting change basically are non-existent but probably best to just let her be mad and take the hit.

That's the way she goes.

I get blamed for everything so I'm used to it (as mentally draining as that gets) :laugh:.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's the way she goes.

I get blamed for everything so I'm used to it (as mentally draining as that gets) :laugh:.

Probability that you are male shoots up to the stratosphere. jk, I know you are..

Take the hit, lol.

Just promise she's right again, about everything, and let that be a blanket statement and disclaimer.

"You never fixed the dryer like I told you to!"

Yes, right honey, you're absolutely right, I never done did, you're right on the money again..

See if that gets you the licks..

I know when to stop just short of a cup flying..

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Probability that you are male shoots up to the stratosphere. jk, I know you are..

Take the hit, lol.

Just promise she's right again, about everything, and let that be a blanket statement and disclaimer.

"You never fixed the dryer like I told you to!"

Yes, right honey, you're absolutely right, I never done did, you're right on the money again..

See if that gets you the licks..

I know when to stop just short of a cup flying..

I bought a Maytag dryer when Maytag was still Maytag about 20 years ago. That sumbitch is still going strong (runs out to the forest and knocks on every tree in it).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I bought a Maytag dryer when Maytag was still Maytag about 20 years ago. That sumbitch is still going strong (runs out to the forest and knocks on every tree in it).

haha, got one too. 20 or so yrs. but the previous washer and Dryer, Inglis, were nightmares. Switched out half the switches, relay timers etc, On the Dryer I don't think Einstein would've figured out how to fix that awful dryer assembly. Its like the designer was straight from hell. Lets engineer a dryer housing that won't stay together won't rotate properly or align properly and when out of whack will never work properly ever ever again.

It got to the point of fixing it because I'm stubborn plus we had no spare money around at the time and up to ears in mortgage.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
@bone

Being unable to get data off the drive is fairly unusual. I know that because it happened to me. Your hard drive pretty much has to be physically damaged.

Reactions: bone and McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Being unable to get data off the drive is fairly unusual. I know that because it happened to me. Your hard drive pretty much has to be physically damaged.

Thanks for that tidbit...I am so damn paranoid with electronics, especially mother f'n computers so I know I saved all the photos, important documents and other stuff to USB sticks in case this exact thing happened. If he can pull it all out anyways, even better as I'm pretty sure I added some new stuff which didn't get backed up to an external device.

I hate computers and I really hate how dependent society is on them (don't @ me for that one lol).

Reactions: soothsayer

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
haha, got one too. 20 or so yrs. but the previous washer and Dryer, Inglis, were nightmares. Switched out half the switches, relay timers etc, On the Dryer I don't think Einstein would've figured out how to fix that awful dryer assembly. Its like the designer was straight from hell. Lets engineer a dryer housing that won't stay together won't rotate properly or align properly and when out of whack will never work properly ever ever again.

It got to the point of fixing it because I'm stubborn plus we had no spare money around at the time and up to ears in mortgage.

The in-laws had an Inglis washer/dryer set. I'm pretty sure it gave them headaches too.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Thanks for that tidbit...I am so damn paranoid with electronics, especially mother f'n computers so I know I saved all the photos, important documents and other stuff to USB sticks in case this exact thing happened. If he can pull it all out anyways, even better as I'm pretty sure I added some new stuff which didn't get backed up to an external device.

I hate computers and I really hate how dependent society is on them (don't @ me for that one lol).

Sorry to hear about your computer. That sucks. Good that you had your data backed up. I'm pretty paranoid with data, so have all docs, photos, etc saved directly on Dropbox, and then I also occasionally back them up on external drives, one of which I keep in our fireproof safe.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

You should be okay. Interesting trivia: If you have a regular old hard disk drive, your data is never really erased when you click "delete." When you delete something, the computer simply "forgets" the file, thereby freeing it up to be overwritten. But files are saved using a series of magnetic "on/off" (binary) switches, which actually leave a magnetic trace even after being overwritten, like an after-image on a tv screen that has been on for too long. That's how forensic investigators can pull out data from devices that have been completely wiped. They piece together the magnetic residue from previously saved files. I don't actually know how this works for solid state drives but would be interested to know./endtrivia

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Enjoyed this one.

Interesting fellow. Detect a little Acid burnout to be honest. But a highly functional one.

Guy has some uniques of doing things, albeit sure not the simplest or most functional ones. The bunk bed being example. Who would devise a bunkbed with strut supports, and series of bolts that have to be turned, inserted? Kind of silly design tbh, plus the window that is covered by the bunk anytime its up.

That ride they constructed to go down the slope to the beach "well maintained" lol. He had to stop it half way because the brush is so thick its causing problems. Seemed a lot of play in the cables as well. Wouldn't be too thrilled about riding on that thing with the wild brambles getting everywhere.

Beautiful home designs though. I mean he's brilliant obviously, just really goes with some odd approached.

Liked the part about making the beam be the beam and letting it be a beam. heh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure what thread to put this in.

Sportsnet showed game 3 of the Oilers vs Flyers SC final in 87. Game 3 seemed like an odd choice for a Canadian broadcaster. It was the game the Oilers blew chunks over a 3-0 lead and a possible 3-0 death grip on the series only to blow it, give up 5 goals in a row, and lose 5-3. It was the game that changed the series and allowed the Flyers to find their legs and confidence and push the series to 7 games.

For the Oilers it was an ugly overconfident effort. They had not deserved the 3-0 lead and Fuhr was making circus stops for awhile keeping the Flyers out of it. But the Oilers just weren't as engaged as the Flyers and deserved to lose the game, which they did.

Still, its an odd decision amongst all the games in that series to broadcast the game in which the Oilers looked the worst. Almost like throwing water on what was the best club ever.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Read the new Batman. Fantastic issue and brings an end to this storyline which you think the ghost maker is going to be the next big villain of Batman. It turns out at the end of this issue the two are going to work together, the new issue of the storyline will come out in March. Can’t wait

upload_2020-12-17_17-5-58.jpeg

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Um..... so is this the place to gush over the season finale of The Mandalorian?

IT WAS THE BEST THING EVER!!!!!!

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad