Killing Time Thread: Movies, Music, etc. Anything SFW That Kills Time Part 3

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Looks great in a video, but wouldn't want that to be my neighbor across the street. Would have a seizure from constantly looking at the light show. ;)

NiceDeadlyBull-size_restricted.gif

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I love old school WWF/WWE wrestling from the early 80s up to just around the end of the "Attitude" era but haven't followed it in several years.

For all the wrestling fans out there, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread or not but on YouTube, there's a new(er) series called "Dark Side of the Ring" which is a produced series for TV. Each episode focuses on a former performer's story and as the title implies, they're not happy stories but tell the behind the scenes stories with tons of interviews from former and current wrestlers/personalities, family, promoters along with former behind the scenes staffers. I can't say for certain all episodes are on YT but it appears they are without having to pay to watch them.

Some episodes are Owen Hart's tragic death, the suspected mob murder of Dino Bravo, the Chris Benoit story ( 2 part episode) just to name a few. I've only watched a couple so far but they were very interesting to watch.

Below is the Owen Hart tragedy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I love old school WWF/WWE wrestling from the early 80s up to just around the end of the "Attitude" era but haven't followed it in several years.

For all the wrestling fans out there, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread or not but on YouTube, there's a new(er) series called "Dark Side of the Ring" which is a produced series for TV. Each episode focuses on a former performer's story and as the title implies, they're not happy stories but tell the behind the scenes stories with tons of interviews from former and current wrestlers/personalities, family, promoters along with former behind the scenes staffers. I can't say for certain all episodes are on YT but it appears they are without having to pay to watch them.

Some episodes are Owen Hart's tragic death, the suspected mob murder of Dino Bravo, the Chris Benoit story ( 2 part episode) just to name a few. I've only watched a couple so far but they were very interesting to watch.

Below is the Owen Hart tragedy.

It occurs to me that what people refer to as "old School" wrestling precisely means what age they were. ;) To me its Stampede Wrestling, Archie Gouldie,the Stomper, Harley Race. , Tor Kamata, Abdullah the Butcher.

To me the above stuff with painted faces and big hair wrestlers was like jumped the shark even more than 80's hair rock bands like Poison. I couldn't watch it anymore.

But then again my dad figured the 1970 circa wrestling had jumped the shark, or that pro wrestling always had...

just an aside.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It occurs to me that what people refer to as "old School" wrestling precisely means what age they were. ;) To me its Stampede Wrestling, Archie Gouldie,the Stomper, Harley Race. , Tor Kamata, Abdullah the Butcher.

To me the above stuff with painted faces and big hair wrestlers was like jumped the shark even more than 80's hair rock bands like Poison. I couldn't watch it anymore.

But then again my dad figured the 1970 circa wrestling had jumped the shark, or that pro wrestling always had...

just an aside.

Just like beauty, "vintage" is all in the eye of the beholder. Hard to think of it this way, but hell even the last Oilers cup win is considered by some to be "vintage" or "classic" hockey now.

The third episode of that series is about the murder of Bruiser Brody. Very good watch. Your aforementioned "Abdulla the Butcher" is interviewed in it, as is Tony Atlas...who looks like he could still bench press a mini van.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
so Cyberpunk 2077 is getting only "decent" reviews

a little disappointing

Game delays are usually a bad sign, and Cyberpunk was delayed, what, 3 times? I think it's still getting really good reviews, but it doesn't seem to be living up to the immense hype (the main story is only 10-15 hours long. I mean, whut).

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Game delays are usually a bad sign, and Cyberpunk was delayed, what, 3 times? I think it's still getting really good reviews, but it doesn't seem to be living up to the immense hype (the main story is only 10-15 hours long. I mean, whut).
it sounds like it's buggy as hell
should've delayed it longer

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Cyberpunk has looked less interesting every time they've shown it, and from a tech side I imagine the pandemic hasn't helped wrt ironing out bugs. Concerning that they're out there threatening DMCA if anybody--even reviewers--show footage of it before release day.

Reactions: soothsayer

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
so Cyberpunk 2077 is getting only "decent" reviews

a little disappointing

it sounds like it's buggy as hell
should've delayed it longer

Cyberpunk has looked less interesting every time they've shown it, and from a tech side I imagine the pandemic hasn't helped wrt ironing out bugs. Concerning that they're out there threatening DMCA if anybody--even reviewers--show footage of it before release day.

My daughter wants it for the Xbox1 so I thought I'd check out a couple of fairly recent "reviews". What you all are saying confirms at least the feeling I'm getting from this. Next gen console game for PS5 and Xbox X series that was quickly and haphazardly setup after the fact for the older systems? Bugs galore? No real review on actual gameplay, just the movie trailers that they put together? I haven't even bought a new game for the Xbox1 as I use it for an entertainment/streaming console for the most part. But it kinda sucks that the game developers are still pulling the same shit as before. At least in this case.

Needless to say, daughter's gonna have to deal with something different.

Reactions: soothsayer

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Also I guess a heads up for anyone who does end up playing it, but it seems like at some point the game replicates some kind of headset that neurologists use to test for epilepsy/induce seizures that has, perhaps predictably, already given some people seizures? Every game comes with photo-sensitivity/epilepsy warnings in the EULA these days but it sounds like they're especially true for this one, if you happen to suffer from any of that stuff.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

I know a dfw fan when I see one.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I started getting a bad feeling about Cyberpunk a few years ago when expectations were running too high. I just want the Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster next spring and I'll be happy

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I have a question for the computer experts on the board.

I have a two year old ASUS entry level gaming laptop which my son uses a lot for Fortnite. It also serves as the family computer so it stays plugged in running off power. Yesterday, I changed the sleep and battery settings to "never" so my security software could do a full system scan without it stalling out because of sleep mode. I checked on it about 25 minutes later...stone cold dead. No charging lights, power lights, nothing. It won't turn on, it just rolled over and died.

I already took it down to a computer repair business, where the tech told me it could be a few things. My question is, if you've ever encountered this, what was the usual or most common outcome?

It really sucks because my kids will need a computer in a few weeks to do their school work and we don't have the money to buy a new one if the motherboard bit the green wiener. Thanks for any input!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I have a two year old ASUS entry level gaming laptop which my son uses a lot for Fortnite. It also serves as the family computer so it stays plugged in running off power. Yesterday, I changed the sleep and battery settings to "never" so my security software could do a full system scan without it stalling out because of sleep mode. I checked on it about 25 minutes later...stone cold dead. No charging lights, power lights, nothing. It won't turn on, it just rolled over and died.

I already took it down to a computer repair business, where the tech told me it could be a few things. My question is, if you've ever encountered this, what was the usual or most common outcome?

It really sucks because my kids will need a computer in a few weeks to do their school work and we don't have the money to buy a new one if the motherboard bit the green wiener. Thanks for any input!

I'm not an expert on this type of stuff but sometimes a full on dead battery could create this situation if it can't even take a little bit of a charge. Also could be that your power source fried and your computer battery just eventually died without power to charge it. The curious part for that would be the timing but that could be coincidental.

I also had a laptop act similarly with fried RAM or Motherboard, but usually it would have at least tried to boot before crashing.

The fact it isn't even showing a charge light, my first instinct is that it's a power source issue. If you can't find someone with a similar power source, and you're willing to gamble on that being the issue, you can get cheaper batteries or power sources through Amazon or Battery Depot, but if it is something more you could be stuck with a useless battery or power source when you eventually give up and just replace the computer.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm not an expert on this type of stuff but sometimes a full on dead battery could create this situation if it can't even take a little bit of a charge. Also could be that your power source fried and your computer battery just eventually died without power to charge it. The curious part for that would be the timing but that could be coincidental.

I also had a laptop act similarly with fried RAM or Motherboard, but usually it would have at least tried to boot before crashing.

The fact it isn't even showing a charge light, my first instinct is that it's a power source issue. If you can't find someone with a similar power source, and you're willing to gamble on that being the issue, you can get cheaper batteries or power sources through Amazon or Battery Depot, but if it is something more you could be stuck with a useless battery or power source when you eventually give up and just replace the computer.

Thanks...I'm hoping its a cheap fix and a bad AC power box too and/or bad battery. I don't have a multimeter to have tested it first and I just didn't notice if it was running off battery power before it died. If I do recall, there is generally some heat felt coming from the outside of the AC power box and when I unplugged it yesterday, it was cold.

Thanks for sharing your experience with having a bad motherboard and how yours would at least get power and try to boot up. That gives me some hope it's a simple power issue.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Have you tried removing the battery, then plugging in to see if the power source can fire up the laptop without a battery. If it can, your battery is likely the issue. I know my old HP, I occasionally had to remove the battery and then reinsert it 30 seconds later to make the computer start charging it again.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Thanks...I'm hoping its a cheap fix and a bad AC power box too and/or bad battery. I don't have a multimeter to have tested it first and I just didn't notice if it was running off battery power before it died. If I do recall, there is generally some heat felt coming from the outside of the AC power box and when I unplugged it yesterday, it was cold.

Thanks for sharing your experience with having a bad motherboard and how yours would at least get power and try to boot up. That gives me some hope it's a simple power issue.

Some of the newer ones don't heat up much, but should still be a little warmer to the touch, so that could be it. Any chance it's powered by USB-C. If so, there may be more options to test alternate power sources (or at minimum the new power source could likely be useable on a future laptop powered by USB-C, should the problem be more than just power).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Have you tried removing the battery, then plugging in to see if the power source can fire up the laptop without a battery. If it can, your battery is likely the issue. I know my old HP, I occasionally had to remove the battery and then reinsert it 30 seconds later to make the computer start charging it again.

I had read about that and the shop suggested I do that first when I called last night so I undid the screws and started popping the laptop keyboard cover off slowly while watching a YT vid on how to do it correctly and I chickened out as I have a tendency to make things worse when I take shit apart :laugh:.

No its not powered by USB-C, its your run of the mill 1/2" long or so round aux input.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
These world junior commercials of the tsn commentators singing a carol are creepy as hell. Like nightmare stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad