Killing Time Thread: Movies, Music, etc. Anything SFW That Kills Time Part 3

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah I said this a few days before you did, so I guess I'll second it again. Fantastic series.

Here for a 3rd. On episode 4 right now. I agree with everything you said in the first post. Nice to see some quality programming for once.

Reactions: ujju2

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If you don't mind dubbed shows, I'd recommend checking out La Revolution on Netflix.

I started watching it because I assumed it was just about the French Revolution, but it's very much a re-imagined fantasy version of it.

Cinematography and special effects were really good. Acting and writing was a little hit and miss, but still entertaining.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Freelance journalist, Whitney Webb, joins Tim Dillon to discuss TGR, Agenda 2030 and the stranglehold Silicon Valley holds over world governments:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Just finished the new Netflix mini-series the Queen’s Gambit.

As someone who grew up playing chess I loved it. Great story, great acting. Probably the best Netflix series since the first season of House of Cards. I give it a strong recommendation as we move towards the binge-watching season of a cold Canadian winter.

It was excellent. Not a chess player, but don’t think I missed out on too much because of that. As an aside, finally finished watching Suits. Took me three months, but really enjoyed it. The first 7 seasons anyhow.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It was excellent. Not a chess player, but don’t think I missed out on too much because of that. As an aside, finally finished watching Suits. Took me three months, but really enjoyed it. The first 7 seasons anyhow.

Its possible even that not being a chess player may make it easier to digest as a series and be advantage. The actress protagonist knew nothing about chess, never played the game, and the director knows nothing about chess either, both from their own accounts.

That they go with a female chess protagonist character is a bit odd. Next in the story line they have this person be an orphan, and a drug user, and have them be a prodigy at chess. Its poetic licence that just doesn't work in the Chess world which requires abject concentration, all your brain cells, and incredible physical health. The physical health component to be able to play chess competitively is overlooked entirely. I dunno, Orphan, drug user, young girl scorned by male players. It seems so formulaic to me. Not liking what I'm reading on it, maybe thats my mistake..But I don't have Netflix and so no way to watch until DVD comes out so I can't watch it.

Because I have difficulty suspending belief I would probably not enjoy this one. On a positive note maybe it brings more girls into the game, and there are female grandmasters so its headed that way. Apparently Gary Kasperov was a consultant on the series so thats also something positive.

heh, maybe I'm Jealous. I didn't get to play chess with enough girls when I was young. Couldn't find any.. The sad aspect of Chess was it was all male play.

In anycase nice to see Chess get some more profile. A year ago few outside the fraternity knew who the world Chess Champion was.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Started watching "The Undoing", it's on HBO. It has Nicole Kidman (still a smoke show), Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland in it.

The basic plot line is it's a classic "whodunnit" as Kidman is a psychologist and Grant is a doctor who are married. Their son goes to a prestigious school in NYC for the gifted. A young oddball woman has a son who goes to the same school but she winds up getting murdered in her art studio...and the story takes off from there. I don't know how many seasons this one story can go on for so I'm presuming it could wind up going the way of "Fargo" where each individual season has its own independent start and conclusion and subsequent seasons have different characters and story lines.

Heads up though...there is some full frontal nudity in it. Thank God it's not Hugh Grant. Or Donald Sutherland :laugh:.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Started watching "The Undoing", it's on HBO. It has Nicole Kidman (still a smoke show), Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland in it.

The basic plot line is it's a classic "whodunnit" as Kidman is a psychologist and Grant is a doctor who are married. Their son goes to a prestigious school in NYC for the gifted. A young oddball woman has a son who goes to the same school but she winds up getting murdered in her art studio...and the story takes off from there. I don't know how many seasons this one story can go on for so I'm presuming it could wind up going the way of "Fargo" where each individual season has its own independent start and conclusion and subsequent seasons have different characters and story lines.

Heads up though...there is some full frontal nudity in it. Thank God it's not Hugh Grant. Or Donald Sutherland :laugh:.

Well that looks really good, and its Nicole Kidman, don't mind looking at her. I like Sutherland for acting as well.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Its possible even that not being a chess player may make it easier to digest as a series and be advantage. The actress protagonist knew nothing about chess, never played the game, and the director knows nothing about chess either, both from their own accounts.

That they go with a female chess protagonist character is a bit odd. Next in the story line they have this person be an orphan, and a drug user, and have them be a prodigy at chess. Its poetic licence that just doesn't work in the Chess world which requires abject concentration, all your brain cells, and incredible physical health. The physical health component to be able to play chess competitively is overlooked entirely. I dunno, Orphan, drug user, young girl scorned by male players. It seems so formulaic to me. Not liking what I'm reading on it, maybe thats my mistake..But I don't have Netflix and so no way to watch until DVD comes out so I can't watch it.

Because I have difficulty suspending belief I would probably not enjoy this one. On a positive note maybe it brings more girls into the game, and there are female grandmasters so its headed that way. Apparently Gary Kasperov was a consultant on the series so thats also something positive.

heh, maybe I'm Jealous. I didn't get to play chess with enough girls when I was young. Couldn't find any.. The sad aspect of Chess was it was all male play.

In anycase nice to see Chess get some more profile. A year ago few outside the fraternity knew who the world Chess Champion was.

It's based on the 1983 novel by Walter Tevis. If you can't watch it maybe that might be an option. It's actually really well done.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's based on the 1983 novel by Walter Tevis. If you can't watch it maybe that might be an option. It's actually really well done.

I haven't read the novel but the show was great. When you last replied to me you were on episode 4. What did you think of the entirety of the show?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I haven't read the novel but the show was great. When you last replied to me you were on episode 4. What did you think of the entirety of the show?

It was one of the fresher and well thought out stories I've seen in quite a while. It also touched on a number of social issues that are still very relevant today. Liked it a lot. I haven't read the novel but I might grab it at some point.

Reactions: ujju2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Into 3rd season of Queen of the South. Not sure what's going on with us, but it seems every series we watch now has copious amounts of drugs and drug gangs in it.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

I fundamentally disagree. It’s entirely believable.

The concept of the show comes from the book of the same name.

I can explain to you how the drug use is portrayed but it would require immense spoilers, so I’m not going to do it here out of respect for everyone here. If you want we can continue the in DMs.

It’s interesting that you bring up the “soundness of body and mind” when playing chess when I just watched an interesting video on Magnus Carlsen’s “mini-bar gambit”. Interesting story lol.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Yeah they made it really easy to understand and no way you could get lost.

Yeah Suits for me ended after the wedding. The two seasons afterwards were complete jump-the-shark territory. You can only go with “the firm is going to go down unless we do x” formula so many times until it becomes very vanilla.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I can explain to you how the drug use is portrayed but it would require immense spoilers, so I’m not going to do it here out of respect for everyone here. If you want we can continue the in DMs.

It’s interesting that you bring up the “soundness of body and mind” when playing chess when I just watched an interesting video on Magnus Carlsen’s “mini-bar gambit”. Interesting story lol.

I was going to respond about the drug use as well, but like you said, would ruin the show.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
It was one of the fresher and well thought out stories I've seen in quite a while. It also touched on a number of social issues that are still very relevant today. Liked it a lot. I haven't read the novel but I might grab it at some point.

Good luck lol.

For whatever reason you cannot find physical copies anywhere and they want $16 for the eBook.

Reactions: Dorian2

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Started watching this tonight.

Really good so far. The animation style is pretty cool.

I tried, but the production style threw me off.

Portraying a serious WWII drama as a animation comes across to me as disrespectful somewhat. Idk, not my cup of tea.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Into 3rd season of Queen of the South. Not sure what's going on with us, but it seems every series we watch now has copious amounts of drugs and drug gangs in it.

Not usually one to point out social/political issues, but you likely can draw a line connecting this programming directly to the fallout from the “War on Drugs” Era.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Actually had to discontinue playing during High School due to a lot of family stress back then. So I know first hand how hard it is to play chess well at all, if not at a good place physically or mentally.

Heres my problem with series. I watch very few of them. I consider that they take up a lot of time. I'm just not in a generation of binge watchers so I'm not the audience. Whereas some will watch a season in a weekend, or god forbid a day, I take a year or more to watch a series, lol. I seldom get into something enough to even watch two episode in a row.

I guess what I'm getting at is if I watch a movie, and I do watch a lot of those, it only involves 2hrs of suspension of belief. I can't do that for a series and plot holes really start to annoy me. Chess players I've talked to say forget the chess, just watch the series, ignore the chess. I have trouble doing that. lol even in Pawn Sacrifice I'm going at some of the board play sets and going WTF?

Although like I said Kasparov was an advisor so I guess its good. I'm just not a series watcher unless its really something special.

Give you an example. The series protagonist in Queens Gambit kind of reminds me of the sad girl in the "Book Thief" movie. I mean I liked that movie but if it was a series I would have tired of it, as well as the over acting. In previews I'm not identifying at all with the girl prodigy player, and thats probably an important part. Or maybe I identify too much because of a rough childhood. I'm not sure which.

Back to chess I got on a kick online in the early spring for awhile and with Chess computers, and was hitting 1800's again. Only took a month of play to get some of my play back, I've been lots better, but oddly just as soon as it came back, i completely lost interest and haven't played a game in months since. just no desire to. I feel now, and have always felt competitive Chess is just too all encompassing, it takes hold, and then I have to walk away and do other things. I forget about Chess completely, and have for a decade at a time. Its a game thats like an addiction. I think I've lost the taste for it. Which kind of makes me sad because I was a really good chess player at a very young age. So I go way back with it. I think casual chess play is the best type of chess, from an enjoyment perspective, but like many, I'm just too competitive. For Chess, also, I'm too old now, or feel that way.

I would have loved this series maybe if I was younger, but too much age separation now to feel it and alas I'm not young and Chess has passed me by as a game. Theres a twinge of sadness in me that Chess brings out. I dont feel that with many things, but its the one pursuit that tells me how long I've been around. Hard to explain, lol,

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I tried, but the production style threw me off.

Portraying a serious WWII drama as a animation comes across to me as disrespectful somewhat. Idk, not my cup of tea.

It took a bit to get used to, but with how detailed the animation is for the actors(I'm guessing they used a green screen and somehow turned it into animation?), I almost didn't notice it was animated after a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->