KHL Season 2019/20

su24

Sep 30, 2017
I agree that the level of the KHL should be higher than it is today and that the flow of young players from Russia to North America must be stopped. Players leaving at 15-18 is unacceptable and hurts Russian hockey more than anything.

But the KHL is still the best league in Europe by far.
Completely disagree with that last sentence. Not by far. DEL at the Olympics, Liiga at the WHC this year and Swiss league last year proved that the difference is not that big at all. I wish KHL teams would play more against European teams. Metallurg Msgnitogorsk got destroyed at the Spengler Cup last year. And they were a better team than they're now. I mean what results prove the superior status of the KHL except your personal opinions? All the results don't support your opinion.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Completely disagree with that last sentence. Not by far. DEL at the Olympics, Liiga at the WHC this year and Swiss league last year proved that the difference is not that big at all. I wish KHL teams would play more against European teams. Metallurg Msgnitogorsk got destroyed at the Spengler Cup last year. And they were a better team than they're now. I mean what results prove the superior status of the KHL except your personal opinions? All the results don't support your opinion.
Most of the best players in the Europe play in the KHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Metallurg Msgnitogorsk got destroyed at the Spengler Cup last year.

So now you are taking Christmas vacation tournament as an example of some proof? How about the time when Riga, one of the worst teams in the KHL, made the finals? KHL was especially good that year?

su24

Sep 30, 2017
So now you are taking Christmas vacation tournament as an example of some proof? How about the time when Riga, one of the worst teams in the KHL, made the finals? KHL was especially good that year?
That's right, dismiss my mention of Olympics, world championships and stick to only one sentence. I can tell you even more: Dinamo Minsk has won Spengler cup once.
But we're talking about recent years. KHL declined, European hockey grew up. And at least I've mentioned some actual results of the meetings between the leagues. Still waiting for the results of any tournaments that prove superiority of the KHL. The best KHL teams just bought a bunch of Belarusians who wouldn't make most of the teams in the top European leagues. The aforementioned results of the OG & WHC, outcomes of the meetings between the clubs... The KHL fans can't mention any serious argument except their personal opinion.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Regardless, what's your point? This thread is about KHL's current season, not how strong it is compared to other leagues. Nobody cares, honestly.

Reactions: Witte49

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That's right, dismiss my mention of Olympics, world championships and stick to only one sentence.
Well yes, just like you dismiss myriad of other facts and cling to the select few. Russia did win the Olympics by the way, did they not? And Finland won the gold beating Sweden, Russia and Canada in the PO as well as the USA earlier in the group stage. Teams dominated by, if not consisting fully of, NHL players. Which taken your reasoning would prove that Liiga is stronger than the NHL. And yet you take it as a proof about the KHL but backtrack on the NHL because even you realize the claim is ridiculous.

Yet you take one guy on Torpedo doing surprisingly well as this tell-all indication. How about dozens of Liiga imports that failed in the KHL?

The thing which you don't seem to understand is that nobody considers KHL to be head and shoulders above the rest. You don't need to look at WC or Olympics, you can take a look to the NHL pre-season and see teams playing their NHL roster lose to a bunch of AHLers. You can see Skelleftea lose to freaking Grenoble at home in Champions league. Record beating Tampa lost to CBJ 4-0 in the first round. You can see the whole bunch of things, that's what makes sports be sports, in general.

The better team doesn't always win, be it a single game or a short tournament. It doesn't mean there is no best or one is not better than the other and you take all the evidence rather than a few select facts you like you get a clear picture. But all you are interested in is knowing those select few arguments that support your case and make you feel very smart. It doesn't matter to you for every Belevich I can give 3 Kuuselas, Bertrands and Juntillas, ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
Kunlun played better than Avangard in the 1st period. Strange enough. Will it go on in the next periods?!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Their top guys are playing very well. It's a long season though, injuries/fatigue will catch up with them at some point. But like I said in a previous post if there won't be any catastrophic injuries you can tell they are in the PO already.

Reactions: jaco

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well yes, just like you dismiss myriad of other facts and cling to the select few. Russia did win the Olympics by the way, did they not? And Finland won the gold beating Sweden, Russia and Canada in the PO as well as the USA earlier in the group stage. Teams dominated by, if not consisting fully of, NHL players. Which taken your reasoning would prove that Liiga is stronger than the NHL. And yet you take it as a proof about the KHL but backtrack on the NHL because even you realize the claim is ridiculous.

We lost that in OT.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Their top guys are playing very well. It's a long season though, injuries/fatigue will catch up with them at some point. But like I said in a previous post if there won't be any catastrophic injuries you can tell they are in the PO already.

The problem for teams like Vityaz will always be depth for sure. It all depends on when the injuries occur and when those players return.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Vityaz just beat SKA 4-2 in St. Petersburg for their seventh win in a row. This team looks like it's for real.
I am very happy for Syomin. A great talent. It would be a pity if he would just get lost after that leave of absence. He has found a way back into hockey and he is a true leader to that cocky team.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
Lots of great games today. Sibir is now leading 4-1 over Ak Bars. Traktor vs Neftekhimik starts now. Both Severstal vs Riga and Lokomotiv vs Jokerit will be fun. And of course SKA vs CSKA will be interesting to see.

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
Was asleep for two years and when I wake up, what do I find? We're rock bottom, 0-6-3, and Dawes is still scoring like crazy, so nothing changed. Hey no! Vityaz lead the league? Am I still sleeping? Can someone explain me this?

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Sibir having a very nice and surprising start to the year. Beating Ak Bars at home today was quite a coup. They played well against SKA in St. Pete too, but ran into penalty troubles, and couldn't score on their own PP. If the can avoid the aforementioned injury bug, they could actually make the playoffs this year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Was asleep for two years and when I wake up, what do I find? We're rock bottom, 0-6-3, and Dawes is still scoring like crazy, so nothing changed. Hey no! Vityaz lead the league? Am I still sleeping? Can someone explain me this?
I think if you go to sleep for another two months you will find everything in order upon waking up :laugh:

In other news, McTavish is fired. He was on even shorter leash than I would have thought, just makes Loko desicion makers seem even more stupid. In before they hire Nazarov now for a hattrick of stupidity.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
First W in regulation...We're level on points with Magnitka..

Yes, that's probably more ridiculous for me than Vityaz. "Magnitka and Amur are tied at points with only one game separating them almost four weeks into the season" is a weird enough statement. But the fact that they're tied at bottom is even weirder.

Reactions: jaco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad