KHL Season 2019/20

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
While we are still far away from the opening game of the season, 2018/19 is now history and everything happening in the KHL will be about the 2019/20 season. Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to set this one aside just in case.

If the rules haven't changed, the salary cap for this season will be 800 million RUB (a decrease from the last season's 850) and luxury tax is set at %30 (an increase from the last season's %20).

Last season saw 12 teams with a budget of over 800 million RUB. Well, since the luxury tax is still in place, going over the limit is not a huge deal but it will be interesting to see how some of the clubs will (or not) try to deal with the new rules. For example, CSKA's budget for the last season was 481 million RUB less than 2017/18.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Barys Astana are now known as Barys Nur-Sultan.

The city changed name on March 30th to honour the long service President of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Still curious, if Slovan Bratislava will be there. They signed some Czech sponsor, but ...
Here, I will quote Chernyshenko´s words at the presser when the KHL Board gave Slovan one month to deliver all documents (April 30)

"I met with Slovan´s owner yesterday, where the future plan was presented. .... if we were not sure about the seriousness of the Slovan & their new owner, the KHL Board would never extend the club´s deadline for paperwork."

It is fine if you do not believe Slovan´s management. On the other hand, we have the KHL´s statement. And there is no reason not to believe them.

Therefore it is very funny how all Slovak media speculated if Slovan will play the KHL or not. All answers were replied by Chernyshenko. Slovak journalists just did not listen to him, but that is their problem. Especially if we know, that their sources were not from Široky´s circle. But yeah, the media did not have a problem to spread their lie about Slovan leaving the KHL, especially guy called Tomas Prokop.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Here, I will quote Chernyshenko´s words at the presser when the KHL Board gave Slovan one month to deliver all documents (April 30)

"I met with Slovan´s owner yesterday, where the future plan was presented. .... if we were not sure about the seriousness of the Slovan & their new owner, the KHL Board would never extend the club´s deadline for paperwork."

It is fine if you do not believe Slovan´s management. On the other hand, we have the KHL´s statement. And there is no reason not to believe them.

Therefore it is very funny how all Slovak media speculated if Slovan will play the KHL or not. All answers were replied by Chernyshenko. Slovak journalists just did not listen to him, but that is their problem. Especially if we know, that their sources were not from Široky´s circle. But yeah, the media did not have a problem to spread their lie about Slovan leaving the KHL, especially guy called Tomas Prokop.

I have no problem to accept, they will be in KHL again. Im actually a supporter of this idea. Im more concerned about the stability. They dont want to say, who exactly is the sponsor. It screams about another deep hole, that will suck the money from fans and after one year they will disappear.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I have no problem to accept, they will be in KHL again. Im actually a supporter of this idea. Im more concerned about the stability. They dont want to say, who exactly is the sponsor. It screams about another deep hole, that will suck the money from fans and after one year they will disappear.
Fine, I understand your concerns.

It is a big question of why they have not announced their new owner yet. I guess, they are waiting for the KHL´s approval. Guessing, that approval will be done after IIHF Worlds. I guess they try to find a good timing for the announcement, so 1) they need to pay debts to arena/players before the announcement, 2) they need to announce GM & players for next season

That is just a few reasons why they have not announced the new owner´s name. Of course, I can be wrong.

When considering how small Slovakia is & everyone knows everyone. The club has been successful with hiding the new owner for such a long time. Not a single journalist has found his name. The conclusion is that Slovan is so good or journalists so bad.

If I were the new owner, I would attend the IIHF Worlds. Especially, if the event is taking place at his team´s arena.

Reactions: amoboko

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

I would have to agree that taking the word of KHL on this matter is probably best and we'll see Slovan back (and hopefully better!)

The whole hockey world is ready to burst through the door on any negative news about the KHL, not defending it just seems true, so imagine the frenzy there would be in the KHL approve Slovan without a solid financial plan and they ended up bankrupt midseason!

Reactions: vorky

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I would have to agree that taking the word of KHL on this matter is probably best and we'll see Slovan back (and hopefully better!)

The whole hockey world is ready to burst through the door on any negative news about the KHL, not defending it just seems true, so imagine the frenzy there would be in the KHL approve Slovan without a solid financial plan and they ended up bankrupt midseason!
Exactly, the media is a problem. Even Russian media.

There is so much hate towards the KHL in Slovak and even Russian media. Especially Russian media are so happy when there is some problem in the KHL or a player moving aboard. And what I dislike about them, they do not give respect to anybody, a player, a club, a league or hockey executive.

Coming back to Slovak media & Slovan. It was so much fun to follow them, all their "sources" claimed Slovan leaving the KHL. But they admitted at the same time, that their "sources" are not from Široky circles (Slovan´s owner). Of course, they have no problem to spread their lies about Slovan, even without sources.

And yes, they did not call to the KHL to get fresh news on Slovan or a confirmation. I doubt they even read the Russian hockey press. Or better words would be, they read it, but publish only negative news. There is one journalist, whose opinion on Slovan is very negative. Yes, he knows exactly nothing about Slovan... but why not to write the fake stories who fit his narrative? And yes, you are right, Slovak media quoted him like it was the official statement of the league. Of course, he claimed Slovan is leaving.

That journalist was a big advocate of Severstal to stay in the league. Now, just a few days ago, he admitted he was wrong with advocating Severstal. Funny enough.

The best description of media was when a journalist asked Chernyshenko very basic question. And Chernyshenko replied: dear colleague, would be great if you prepared in advance for the press conference.

Unfortunately, I cannot see any professionalism in media, any media. Perhaps, I follow the wrong media?

Reactions: Rigafan

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I think next season will be a tough one, lots of marginal Russians all of a sudden moved to NA, rich got reacher (Sekac to CSKA, an horde of players to Magnitka and Ak Bars seems to be signing the best players from Dinamo) I really hope the new spots will be taken up by younger Russians, not Belorussians (already Buynitskiy, sorry for sp) and not marginal foreign players. May be Kornaukhov, Svetlakov, Vzhyk, Romanow will get more pt (if not CSKA, than elsewhere)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm way more optimistic. SKA at this point seems more healthy than it ever was both in terms of player number and overall strength, Magnitka being good again is a positive in my book and the number of players who went to NA isn't bigger than before - the list of those wasn't exactly short last year as well and yet, within a year most are coming back. The only problem (somewhat) is that CSKA will likely be even better next year as they haven't lost any players worth mentioning and Andrighetto and Sekac in for Hansen and Scott might be all the moves they make.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
I heard it as well today, the rumor I heard at the beginning of this week. The spot that Zapolski left will be difficult to fill. althou I like Niemi ( Hawks and Sharks) I feel that he lacked icetime with the Habs this year to have a consistent shape.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I heard it as well today, the rumor I heard at the beginning of this week. The spot that Zapolski left will be difficult to fill.

You mean overpaid goalie they were forced to let go? Zapolski first played himself into a Kalnins' backup, then out of the club altogether. His spot isn't difficult to fill, he was worthless and let go by the club. I mean .894 Sv% is brutally bad.

Who are the top teams now?

SKA
CSKA
Magnitka
Aq Bars

Any other?

Not sure about the basis of your ranking but off-the-ice issues aside the team which just played in the finals deserves to be on the list.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Did he had this season his +245 minutes without goals againast, or was that last season? Due to bad timemenagement from my side and the fact that Huhtala left I didn't watch that many Jokerit games, but for me Zaploski still left a better impression between the post as Kalnins. And to come back to my original point, Niemi isn't that much better as Zapolski imo.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Did he had this season his +245 minutes without goals againast, or was that last season? Due to bad timemenagement from my side and the fact that Huhtala left I didn't watch that many Jokerit games, but for me Zaploski still left a better impression between the post as Kalnins. And to come back to my original point, Niemi isn't that much better as Zapolski imo.
It was in 17/18 season when he was legitimately good. But last year, he definitely was not good and definitely worse than Kalnins even though he was given every opportunity to prove otherwise.

Yes, Niemi's signing doesn't inspire much confidence but again, they have Kalnins to fall back on so it isn't much of an issue.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
It was in 17/18 season when he was legitimately good. But last year, he definitely was not good and definitely worse than Kalnins even though he was given every opportunity to prove otherwise.

Yes, Niemi's signing doesn't inspire much confidence but again, they have Kalnins to fall back on so it isn't much of an issue.

Maybe they are planning to rebuild there team, adding some rookies and assets and give it a go.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It was discussed a bit in the other threads but to summarize, Minsk situation is this:

1) budget cut by 1/3 compared to last year
2) Belarussian players entering their prime - Buinitsky, Khenkel and Lisovets - are leaving
3) Andrievksy, who had agreed to become the head coach, refused after budget cuts were confirmed
4) the team intends to sign 7 foreigners. Since the best Belarussian players have left the rest is going to be an Extraleague level filler or guys who can't find a job elsewhere and are forced into agreeing with a pay cut (meaning the guys who are effectively an Extraleague level filler)

All in all, in spite of all the protests from vorky, it seems like the team is being put on life support. Cutting the budget by 1/3 of what was the 2nd-worst team in the league already means the team is doomed to fail. One wonders if the next logical step isn't to pull the plug because it definitely seems like the government has had it with this project. And I don't think a KHL team in Belarus would attract many corporate sponsors as corporate sponsors in Belarus would mean state-owned companies so it's a roundabout situation.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
If all non-Russian teams left maybe with the exception of Barys... How good the new league be, theoretically speaking? I got into hockey pretty much with KHL, was only 14 when RSL disbanded, so I don't know much about how Russian hockey looked before that. Is it wrong to assume that it would still be a very good league, maybe just slightly less so?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If all non-Russian teams left maybe with the exception of Barys... How good the new league be, theoretically speaking? I got into hockey pretty much with KHL, was only 14 when RSL disbanded, so I don't know much about how Russian hockey looked before that. Is it wrong to assume that it would still be a very good league, maybe just slightly less so?
1. There is not a single reason all non-Russian clubs to leave. And even if, others will come.

2.If you want to play the if game.

The KHL would be as strong as now, if not stronger.

3. The RSL & the KHL are totally different leagues, different era, management. To use a few words, the RSL was run by unprofessional RHF, the KHL is managed by business people and is business-oriented.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
If all non-Russian teams left maybe with the exception of Barys... How good the new league be, theoretically speaking?
If league loses three bottom dwellers in Minsk, Riga, and Bratislava? What do you reckon lol? You yourself seperated Barys as you can see that their roster is actually competative and play entertaining hockey, they add value to the league to a sane person.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
I think it would be very much depend on how the Russian economy would be. So same as with KHL lol. Im pessimistic in that regard. But a return to a Russian only league would probably mean less financing overall, and less foreign talent wanting to play here if that happens.

Reactions: hansomreiste

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
It'd still be the KHL, it'd still span a continent, it'd still be fascinating, so don't worry too much!

Sure the non russian teams add a lot of flavour to the league, but we'd always have Barys!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad