KHL Season 2018/2019

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Avto are the real goods this year. They shut out Jokerit, in Helsinki. That's never an easy task.

To be fair, Jokerit had like 4 shots in the crossbar during the last 5 minutes plus several crazy scoring chances. And Avto just had 8 shots on goal during the first two periods.

A tie would've been more fair after 60 minutes

Reactions: CPFC

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
To be fair, Jokerit had like 4 shots in the crossbar during the last 5 minutes plus several crazy scoring chances. And Avto just had 8 shots on goal during the first two periods.

A tie would've been more fair after 60 minutes

There's no fairness in team sports. If you don't capitalize on your chances, the other team will. We Finns know that more than any other country.

Reactions: Rigafan and Exarz

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
There's no fairness in team sports. If you don't capitalize on your chances, the other team will. We Finns know that more than any other country.
Well that is true, it was more in a reply to the shut down comment since it didn't reflect the game

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
This season has been perfect so far but we shouldn't forget the fact that some structural changes still have to be made, most important of which is hard salary cap that is not circumventable. Jokerit or Avtomobilist won't stay like this forever - what we need is not two or three teams popping up for a period of time (this is not unwanted either, still a good thing) but structural changes that would allow teams to get better if this is what they intend to do.

As I always stress, parity is not when ten teams challenge for the cup. It is when ten teams are able to do so. Personally, I don't care if Ak Bars win five consecutive titles if they beat some really good contenders. The problem is that most teams in KHL used to play for nothing and we could already name three teams at the top.

This may be OK for football leagues but it is not good for a hockey league consisting of clubs from different countries. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying KHL is in a very bad position. Right on the contrary, I really like how things have developed so far but the problem is a little bit deeper than that and it should be worked on regardless of how well Avtomobilist, Jokerit or some other team does.
Yeap, the league has been making "structural changes" as you call it. I named two things the league did, a salary cap is coming if everything goes as planned. There is still no agreement on salary floor what is a problem.

Another thing, which is not seen by fans, is a financial fair-play. It is de facto audit of all teams, which will give the league detailed numbers on costs/revenues of teams. The league will be able to set rules/limits on spending, especially front office & travelling. The result will be a schedule´s modification to save money. Anf of course, the league will know the detailed bussiness of clubs, to create a bussiness model for teams.

A few teams will go to the VHL, that is a sure thing. Severstal, Vityaz & Neftekhimik are clear candidates.

I respect your opinion and I see it. You call the league to create conditions for parity. Yes, agree. On the other hand, we have to look at teams & their front office. Do teams want to be "SKA" in marketing department? I do not say to buy star players and so, but to make modern sport marketing. I could name a few teams who do not care. And the league can do whatever wants, but will never change an attitude of some teams. Timchenko has said it many times - we need to get rid of teams, who do not want to develop.

Reactions: Rigafan

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeap, the league has been making "structural changes" as you call it. I named two things the league did, a salary cap is coming if everything goes as planned. There is still no agreement on salary floor what is a problem.

Another thing, which is not seen by fans, is a financial fair-play. It is de facto audit of all teams, which will give the league detailed numbers on costs/revenues of teams. The league will be able to set rules/limits on spending, especially front office & travelling. The result will be a schedule´s modification to save money. Anf of course, the league will know the detailed bussiness of clubs, to create a bussiness model for teams.

A few teams will go to the VHL, that is a sure thing. Severstal, Vityaz & Neftekhimik are clear candidates.

I respect your opinion and I see it. You call the league to create conditions for parity. Yes, agree. On the other hand, we have to look at teams & their front office. Do teams want to be "SKA" in marketing department? I do not say to buy star players and so, but to make modern sport marketing. I could name a few teams who do not care. And the league can do whatever wants, but will never change an attitude of some teams. Timchenko has said it many times - we need to get rid of teams, who do not want to develop.

Pot-> meet kettle.

mhurley

Jun 11, 2005
Long Island
I will be in St Petersburg on Wednesday night and have tickets to SKA St Petersburg game.

Does anyone know if Datsyuk will be playing? Shestyorkin?

Are there any must see things at the arena? What are the best food/beverage concessions?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Traktor takes another beating, 5-0 at home against SYu. They scored less than 2 goals for the 7th time in 9 games.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Traktor takes another beating, 5-0 at home against SYu. They scored less than 2 goals for the 7th time in 9 games.

They had 3 consecutive PP's in the second period and couldn't score, and in fact gave up a SH goal with a couple of seconds left in the second. That's your text book recipe for disaster.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

I know its going to happen but, I'm going to be really sad when they do kick Vityaz out of the league. I dunno why but I have a soft sport for them

Reactions: Go Donbass

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I know its going to happen but, I'm going to be really sad when they do kick Vityaz out of the league. I dunno why but I have a soft sport for them

Me too. It's because they are the red headed step child of Moscow's teams. I don't know why they'd get kicked out. They get at least as many fans to their games as Dynamo Moscow, and unlike Dynamovtsi, they aren't in constant financial trouble. I'd rather keep Vityaz and boot Sini-Byeli.

Reactions: Rigafan

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Some really good evening games tonight.

Sibir are actually play well against Ak Bars at Tat Neft, 2-2 after 2.

Amur leading Avangard 3-2 after 2.

Dynamo Moscow and Barys tied at 1, start of the third.

Kunlun leading Neftekhimik 1-0 in the third.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ava has actually put 41 pucks on net in 2 periods. If Kašik wins it definitely a bit of a statement game for him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well it's not like you can choose when to allow a goal. It's not like a goalie turn on a boost in last seconds or something. In the end, Amur loses 4-3 in OT after giving up 57 shots. That might be the record for a regular season game.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Well it's not like you can choose when to allow a goal. It's not like a goalie turn on a boost in last seconds or something. In the end, Amur loses 4-3 in OT after giving up 57 shots. That might be the record for a regular season game.

6 seconds left in the period and face off in your end, do whatever you have to, but kill the clock. You have a 3-1 lead and give up a goal with one second to play in the period, I say you will lose that game 9 times out of 10.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I might be the only person getting triggered by things like this but how is Pare's 2-4 goal for Avto unassisted? How idiotic are the scorekeepers in this league? Sexton skates through two zones, drives into the middle, opens the lane for Pare, makes the drop pass and somehow it doesn't matter to the scorekeepers because it may or may not flicked off the defenseman's stick? Ok then.

I get it will be reviewed and he will be rewarded that assist like a month later but come on.

Reactions: Faterson

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
After 10 games Dawes has 1 goal. Last year, after 10 games he had 11. It seems he left his scoring touch in Astana

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He does look a bit out of place on the team. They played with a lot of partners and he just doesn't seem to mesh well with anyone. But he is playing well, he will get going at some point, 8 points in 10 isn't too bad meanwhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad