KHL Expansion Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Wasn't it stated from day one that Admiral was out for primarily this upcoming season? I haven't seen any statement about "completely" folding
Yes, you are right. I am saying the same with "a pause" wording. But let us be honest, there were some people claiming how disastrous this move is, the others will follow etc. It is too easy to follow the media & fans discussions on internet these modern days. :D So, everybody can make his own opinion on the topic.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Entirely untrue. It is a social donation, symbol of social status, or part of larger political dealings. Businesses aren't subsidized almost entirely by state-operated companies. SKA was the only team to make money, and almost half of their revenues were from their sponsorship with Gazprom. That is not a business.

There is no difference between „business“ and „larger political dealings“ in some parts of the world.

Kiekkofani

Mar 10, 2019
Fasel's gone next year. Was supposed be out already but Coronavirus postponed it.

And where is he going? Not a surprise that he was present in recent KHL 20-21 kick-off event @Moscow. CHL is opening the doors to KHL too and some countries are leaving CHL once current shareholder contract expires. This all due the lack of transparency into CHL coffins which eventually is driven by Fasel's neighborhood without proper shareholder value mindset.

European hockey is far behind of market driven NH, the gap by professional corporate measures just reminds old East vs West when it comes to IIHF, KHL or CHL Transparency, Openness are absent in Europe which eventually opens the doors for a new European League entrance.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And where is he going? Not a surprise that he was present in recent KHL 20-21 kick-off event @Moscow. CHL is opening the doors to KHL too and some countries are leaving CHL once current shareholder contract expires. This all due the of transparency into CHL coffins which eventually is driven by Fasel's neighborhood without proper shareholder value mindset.

European hockey is far behind of market driven NH, the gap by professional corporate measures just reminds old East vs West when it comes to IIHF, KHL or CHL Transparency, Openness are absent in Europe which eventually opens the doors for League entrance.

IIHF has very little to do with the CHL.

Reactions: KTl

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
And where is he going? Not a surprise that he was present in recent KHL 20-21 kick-off event @Moscow. CHL is opening the doors to KHL too and some countries are leaving CHL once current shareholder contract expires. This all due the lack of transparency into CHL coffins which eventually is driven by Fasel's neighborhood without proper shareholder value mindset.

European hockey is far behind of market driven NH, the gap by professional corporate measures just reminds old East vs West when it comes to IIHF, KHL or CHL Transparency, Openness are absent in Europe which eventually opens the doors for a new European League entrance.
A very interesting and unusual point of view. But I would need more details. Could you elaborate on the following sequence?

CHL is opening the doors to KHL too and some countries are leaving CHL once current shareholder contract expires.

How opening?

Thanks.

Reactions: VP

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Makes no sense whatsoever, but if they want to maintain the appearance of an international league I suppose that's about the only way left to go.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Makes no sense whatsoever, but if they want to maintain the appearance of an international league I suppose that's about the only way left to go.

It will always be international without all these weird and wonderful exotic teams though.

Latvia, Belarus, Kazakh and such are going to stick around.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Reactions: Rigafan

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Hard to see how a team in Abu Dhabi would develop any distinct identity, it would be an attraction for tourists and a small number of Russian expats, nothing much else. Even in Israel the precondition would be access to good enough Jewish players who are few and far between.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Another chapter of KHL expansion story. Tel Aviv and Haifa are ready to build ice rink for KHL Games. How real it could be?
Тель-Авив и Хайфа готовы рассмотреть вопрос строительства арены для матчей КХЛ

Compared to other ludicrous expansion ideas this seems a bit more realistic considering there's a massive Russian presence in Israel particularly, I think, in Ashkelon that I recall from reading something.

Definitely plausible since many Israeli teams compete in European competitions in various sports.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Recently, I went through quite an interesting debate regarding Slovan in this topic. I would like to add my quick translation of the most important parts of the latest interview in Forbes with the new owner Mr. Hruby, currently the fifth wealthiest Slovak.

About KHL

Slovan was in the Russian KHL for seven years, but returned to the Slovak league due to financial problems. To what extent is re-joining the KHL an up to date topic?

Of course, the Russian partners have already learned that the club has changed owners and I know that they invited us to Russia for two events. They were very happy that Slovan played in the KHL and they would like us to play there again. But I would only go to that league if I had covered all the activities, and not from Russian sponsors, but from ours. If this is the case, we can return to the KHL.

How much does a KHL cost a year?

You need at least 15 million euros. If you give more money, you can achieve more. Above all, it's about Slovan being competitive in the KHL. Lev Prague made it to the final, but immediately after that they quit. They operated on the market principle, they achieved a great result, but it is impossible to live from it. They calculated their income and saw that they could not start the new season. This was also a problem in Slovan. And in addition to money, what we have already said also applies - we no longer have players! When Slovan went to the KHL, the club had its own players, the Slovaks. This is no longer the case today. We - Slovakia - have about seven players in the KHL. There is nobody to play with.

About new stadium

[...answering a question about the current arena...] However, I can also imagine a situation where we will not come to an agreement [with the municipality] and we will try to build a larger arena somewhere else. I believe that I will find investors for that.

Even in the current situation?

Yes. Companies may earn less, most have reduced sales, but they also cut costs, so they are still making some serious profit. However, I would definitely look for investors outside the city and outside Slovakia. And I'm sure they would be found. Now I read that they are going to build a stadium for 6,000 spectators in Jihlava and an athletics track will be built on the roof. These are exactly the projects that our small towns lack. Ideas of what everything can be done. I estimate that we would be able to build a multi-purpose stadium for 100 million euros in Bratislava.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Thank you @penepi for the interview. Would you be so kind to share the direct link to the interview in Forbes?

Once again, @Faterson is right, especially with the venue.

You described Slovan & Mr Hrubý, the KHL talks. But the league has been talking to multiple persons of his calibre (or bigger) across Europe & Asia. All need to click to make it happen. It is a unique situation with Slovan because we have leaks. But we have never heard such details from other talks and clubs.

As you quoted, "the Russian partners have already learned" So, we should never underrate the ability of Russians to negotiate & making research. If an ordinary fan knows that new big venues are planned in Vienna & Munich, while big venues are already constructed in other European cities, the Russians have already learnt it for sure.

Btw. Gazprom-Export saying "hi" to FK Austria Wien. ;)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Sure, here it is, but it is a paid one.
Thanks, I am going to buy it.

You translated, "if I had covered all the activities, and not from Russian sponsors, but from ours." That approach is exactly what the KHL demands from newcomers since 2014.

So, it is for the first time when Hrubý directly says about the comeback. Honestly, I was surprised that any journalist did not ask him this question at Nike presser. At the time, it was known that Hrubý already talked to the KHL leadership.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
I must say that when I heard first rumours about new arena (this summer after the press conference when there was a very subtle hint) I was smiling. But more and more I consider it real and even necessary - if Slovakia ever wants to organize the World Championship again, and I'm sure we want to in this decade. Fasel stated that Košice arena is no longer suitable and I have to agree on that. It's more than a decent arena for our league, but absolutely inadequate for events such as WC. Actually that would be quite interesting, Bratislava as the only city organizing the World Championship, not quite sure whether that has ever happened before.

Also if Slovan goes to the KHL again (I believe that is going to happen within 3 years) and be competitive, new arena would also be suitable. With decent results (let's say 5-6th place in the regular season) people will regularly find their way to the stadium and perhaps even 15k average attendance would be realistic.

Reactions: Faterson

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I must say that when I heard first rumours about new arena (this summer after the press conference when there was a very subtle hint) I was smiling. But more and more I consider it real and even necessary - if Slovakia ever wants to organize the World Championship again, and I'm sure we want to in this decade. Fasel stated that Košice arena is no longer suitable and I have to agree on that. It's more than a decent arena for our league, but absolutely inadequate for events such as WC. Actually that would be quite interesting, Bratislava as the only city organizing the World Championship, not quite sure whether that has ever happened before.
The results of quick research (since 2000) say that St.Petersburg (2000), Riga (2006), de facto Moscow (2007) & Minsk (2014) hosted the event as a sole city. St.Petersburg will host it again in 2023.

Also if Slovan goes to the KHL again (I believe that is going to happen within 3 years) and be competitive, new arena would also be suitable. With decent results (let's say 5-6th place in the regular season) people will regularly find their way to the stadium and perhaps even 15k average attendance would be realistic.
Agree with you. All they need is to be in playoff position. We all remember times when no tickets were available after a few moments.

And Hrubý knows how much money the club needs for a season. 15 million would be a bit below Jokerit. Or maybe on par. Definitely much better position than ever for Slovan.

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

How big should be the new arena? At least 15 000 places? Because that is the demand from IIHF, isnt it? If yes, then it will be strange to have 2 big arenas in Bratislava. The city will lost huge money then.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
How big should be the new arena? At least 15 000 places? Because that is the demand from IIHF, isnt it? If yes, then it will be strange to have 2 big arenas in Bratislava. The city will lost huge money then.
To be fair, I have no clue about the demand from IIHF, do you have a source for that, please? It seems too much for me.

For now, of course, it is not certain whether such an arena will be built at all. Slovan can agree with the municipality on a favorable and long-term lease for the current stadium and will not need to deal with a new arena. But, of course, there is always the factor that Slovakia simply needs a new, "national" arena. And let's be honest, in Bratislava it makes the biggest sense and would have the greatest usability. Where else? Perhaps central Slovakia - geographically advantageous and would serve as a home stadium for three clubs. But I am still sure that the biggest sense in many ways is to build a "national" hockey stadium in Bratislava. Bratislava is not a small city, it can make use of two big arenas easily. Especially if Slovan rejoins KHL.

Reactions: vorky

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There's no formal capacity requirement for the general public, only what must be provided to the IIHF, sponsors, and media is regulated.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
To be fair, I have no clue about the demand from IIHF, do you have a source for that, please? It seems too much for me.

For now, of course, it is not certain whether such an arena will be built at all. Slovan can agree with the municipality on a favorable and long-term lease for the current stadium and will not need to deal with a new arena. But, of course, there is always the factor that Slovakia simply needs a new, "national" arena. And let's be honest, in Bratislava it makes the biggest sense and would have the greatest usability. Where else? Perhaps central Slovakia - geographically advantageous and would serve as a home stadium for three clubs. But I am still sure that the biggest sense in many ways is to build a "national" hockey stadium in Bratislava. Bratislava is not a small city, it can make use of two big arenas easily. Especially if Slovan rejoins KHL.

I dont know if there are some regulation. Probably not. But you can imagine that WCH should be played on big stadiums. That means, there are some unofficial requirements from IIHF. Fasel said in 2019, Slovakia need another big stadium. Without that there couldn't be any new WCH.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Why would an arena renovated in 2011 not be suitable for the IIHF? Is Slovans arena really that bad facilities wise inside? From the images and videos I've seen it looks fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad