KHL Expansion Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Why would an arena renovated in 2011 not be suitable for the IIHF? Is Slovans arena really that bad facilities wise inside? From the images and videos I've seen it looks fine.
Guessing the issue is with low capacity in Košice. Slovan arena is just fine but definitely would need an upgrade for IIHF Worlds. I am sure the arena would also need an upgrade in case of Slovan´s comeback to KHL.

Reactions: Rigafan

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Slovan Bratislava is switching to Finnish rink size (60&28). They say the IIHF events will be played at NHL size since 2022, so Slovan is somewhere in the middle. As we know, the KHL clubs have already switched to NHL/Finnish size as well, majority switching to Finnish size ... so, Slovan is getting ready for KHL ... if they plan to join, they would need to switch anyway.

Btw, how many clubs from other top European leagues has switched or plan to switch??

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That is such a long conclusion to make. But hey, hope you ae right, I would love to see Slovan (with money) back
As of now, it is just my speculation. But I would not like to overvalue anything. I just follow the process. We have heard from Morozov (twice) about ongoing discussions. Of course, it is a beginning of the discussions, the pandemic & all is hindering the process. This process can take years, we will see.

One thing is clear, if Slovan comes back, it will be with enough money (both sides are clear here) & Slovan B team keeping in Slovak league (condition from Slovan´s owner). In Admiral´s case, we can see the KHL HQ is ancompromising now, they do not need to expand at all costs, they will expand only if it is benefiting the league. And that can last years. There is not so many clubs capable of fulfilling the league´s conditions. But "they are calling all the time" as Morozov says.

I see two reasons for Slovan´s switching the ice. Either they predict all Europe is going to switch soon or they invest into their arena now (it would be too costly to invest huge money in one off-season if they decide to come back, so they are dividing the investment into more years). You can tell me other reasons, of course. I will listen to you.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I put no value into the information of them adjusting their rink size. It's a current trend - and that's it. With the current political situation - I don't see KHL expanding into the Western direction in the near future.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I put no value into the information of them adjusting their rink size. It's a current trend - and that's it.
I mentioned this as one of possible reasons.

With the current political situation - I don't see KHL expanding into the Western direction in the near future.
We will see.

Btw, Slovakia has never been considered as the Western country but it is just a detail. I understand your general point of view.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I mentioned this as one of possible reasons.

We will see.

Btw, Slovakia has never been considered as the Western country but it is just a detail. I understand your general point of view.
Yet they just sent Russian diplomat packing, but geographically of course I got no argument with you!
I actually planned to visit Bratislava for a CSKA game, when they gracefully withdrew...I am also super upset about Zagreb leaving, I had so much fun there for CSKA game, met so many cool people, nice food, traveled to Dubrovnik and then Montenegro after the game...
Was planning to go to Austria skiing and then to Bratislava for a game :(

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Yet they just sent Russian diplomat packing, but geographically of course I got no argument with you!
I actually planned to visit Bratislava for a CSKA game, when they gracefully withdrew...I am also super upset about Zagreb leaving, I had so much fun there for CSKA game, met so many cool people, nice food, traveled to Dubrovnik and then Montenegro after the game...
Was planning to go to Austria skiing and then to Bratislava for a game :(

I am glad you have had nice time in my beloved country, but every (serious) hockey fan in Croatia was relevaed when we finally left KHL. :)

Reactions: KTl

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I am glad you have had nice time in my beloved country, but every (serious) hockey fan in Croatia was relevaed when we finally left KHL. :)
I hear that and where did that take you? I know the fans wanted to travel and local rivalries, which was a major gripe. But yeah, Balcans are awesome!

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
I think with leagues semi down because of covid this year, its time for a super league in europe.
KHL should keep the following 14:
-2 teams in Moscow
-SKA St. Petersburg
-Omsk
-Ufa
-Novosibirsk
-Yekaterinberg
-Nizhny Novogorod
-Kazan
-Chelyabinsk
-Nur Sultan
-Misnk
-Riga
-Helsinki
The following 6 teams should be added to the KHL 14 for a 20 team division:
-Djurgardens (Stockholm) (SHL)
-Frolunda (Gothenberg) (SHL)
-Malmo (SHL)
-Tampere (LIIGA)
-Oslo (needs new arena)
-Copenhagen

A second conference in Eurpoe should consist of:
-Berlin (DEL)
-Cologne (DEL)
-Munich (DEL)
-Hamburg (former DEL)
-Zurich (NLA)
-Geneva (NLA) (new arena needed)
-Bern (NLA)
-Prague (CZH)
-Ostrava (CZH)
-Brno (CZH) (new arena needed)
-Vienna (ICE)
-Bratislava (Slov)
and 8 of the following
-London
-Manchester
-Paris
-Lyon
-Brussels
-Amsterdam
-Turin
-Milan
-Krakow
-Katowice

Europe deserves better top tier hockey. I want to see Gothenburg play Zurich or St Petersburg not small town/ small arena teams like Timra or Oskarshamn.
This to me would be a perfect Euro league, which teams/ cities would you add or remove?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I think with leagues semi down because of covid this year, its time for a super league in europe.
-2 teams in Moscow
-SKA St. Petersburg
-Omsk
-Ufa
-Novosibirsk
-Yekaterinberg
-Nizhny Novogorod
-Kazan
-Chelyabinsk
-Nur Sultan
-Misnk
-Riga
-Helsinki
-Malmo (SHL)
-Tampere (LIIGA)
-Oslo (needs new arena)
-Copenhagen

-Berlin (DEL)
-Cologne (DEL)
-Munich (DEL)
-Hamburg (former DEL)
-Zurich (NLA)
-Bern (NLA)
-Prague (CZH)
-Ostrava (CZH)
-Vienna (ICE)
-Bratislava (Slov)
and 8 of the following
-London
-Manchester
-Paris
-Lyon
-Brussels
-Amsterdam
-Turin
-Milan
-Krakow
-Katowice

Europe deserves better top tier hockey. I want to see Gothenburg play Zurich or St Petersburg not small town/ small arena teams like Timra or Oskarshamn.
This to me would be a perfect Euro league, which teams/ cities would you add or remove?

London: O2 Arena is the busiest arena in the world. KHL tried to go there and found out the hard way. Easy No.
Manchester: Does AO Arena even have a functioning ice plant? When's the last time anyone in the area even mentioned ice hockey? Easy No.
Paris: AccorHotels Arena is the second busiest arena in the world. Same thing as O2. There isn't even a hockey team there now. Easy no.
Lyon: Good luck making Patinoire Charlemagne's 4200 seats financially viable in the KHL. Easier no.
Brussels: Couldn't even support a team in the Belgian league. Easiest no.
Amsterdam: in what arena?
Turin: has an arena but outside of the Olympics and one or two single events has never hosted hockey in a market that has absolutely no interest in hockey. Slightly more difficult but still solid no.
Milan: I'm guessing you don't remember what happen the last time the KHL tried Milan. It wasn't very well thought out and quite easily was shown to be absolute nonsense. Much like your post. By far the easiest no.
Krakow: are barely financially stable in PHL. And you think they can support a KHL team. Ridiculous no.
Katowice: not even close to being able to handle a KHL team. Another ridiculous no.

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
London: O2 Arena is the busiest arena in the world. KHL tried to go there and found out the hard way. Easy No.
Manchester: Does AO Arena even have a functioning ice plant? When's the last time anyone in the area even mentioned ice hockey? Easy No.
Paris: AccorHotels Arena is the second busiest arena in the world. Same thing as O2. There isn't even a hockey team there now. Easy no.
Lyon: Good luck making Patinoire Charlemagne's 4200 seats financially viable in the KHL. Easier no.
Brussels: Couldn't even support a team in the Belgian league. Easiest no.
Amsterdam: in what arena?
Turin: has an arena but outside of the Olympics and one or two single events has never hosted hockey in a market that has absolutely no interest in hockey. Slightly more difficult but still solid no.
Milan: I'm guessing you don't remember what happen the last time the KHL tried Milan. It wasn't very well thought out and quite easily was shown to be absolute nonsense. Much like your post. By far the easiest no.
Krakow: are barely financially stable in PHL. And you think they can support a KHL team. Ridiculous no.
Katowice: not even close to being able to handle a KHL team. Another ridiculous no.

London: has another large proposed arena so that could ease the fact they are so busy
Manchester: How hard would it be to install a ice plant and they have had a hockey team play there before
Paris: Fair point but after covid i think they would be interested in a stable tenant
Lyon:Halle Tony Garnier - Wikipedia has held hockey in the past but yeah they would need a new arena
Brussels: probably a good idea to expand into a new market
Amsterdam: Ziggo Dome
Turin: i would imagine being next to switzerland would help. this seems like a easy yes
Milan: you are probably right but absolutely no need for you to be a dick
Krakow: great arena and next to Czech. easy yes
Katowice: Not a ridiculous no. over 5 million people and a 11,500 arena

Overall i doubt my post was "absolute nonsense" because you could only lazily poke holes in 10 of the 40+ locations i suggested.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
London: has another large proposed arena so that could ease the fact they are so busy
Manchester: How hard would it be to install a ice plant and they have had a hockey team play there before
Paris: Fair point but after covid i think they would be interested in a stable tenant
Lyon:Halle Tony Garnier - Wikipedia has held hockey in the past but yeah they would need a new arena
Brussels: probably a good idea to expand into a new market
Amsterdam: Ziggo Dome
Turin: i would imagine being next to switzerland would help. this seems like a easy yes
Milan: you are probably right but absolutely no need for you to be a dick
Krakow: great arena and next to Czech. easy yes
Katowice: Not a ridiculous no. over 5 million people and a 11,500 arena

Overall i doubt my post was "absolute nonsense" because you could only lazily poke holes in 10 of the 40+ locations i suggested.

London: The MSG Sphere? The one that is facing funding issues, local opposition, etc.? Great idea.
Manchester: hard enough that there hasn't been a team there since despite multiple efforts.
Paris: they don't have enough open dates for one. They're so profitable they don't need a stable tenant.
Lyon: when did it last host hockey? It's a concert hall...
Brussels: a new market that last hosted hockey in 2008 and last successfully hosted hockey...never.... great idea for a new market.
Amsterdam: Ah, Ziggo Arena. Perfectly set up for hockey...not...
Turn: I would imagine you would've done more than five seconds of research and geography assuming. I guess not.
Milan: I am right. Do some research.
Krakow: great thing about the KHL is that you need more than an arena and market. They barely have the fanbase for the Polish league.
Katowice: I hope you realize they sat out a season because of financial constraints... in the Polish league no less. So where's that 5 million people and 11,500 seat arena when they were so financially in the toilet. So they're probably great for the KHL right?

I wouldn't consider that lazy when I clearly put in more thought than you did. If you think it's mean to simply point out the huge flaws in your logic, then give me the crown.

All those established teams you mentioned, funnily enough, are actually the main and biggest proponents of individual leagues and Champions Hockey League and are part of the biggest anti-European super league, anti-joining the KHL group on the planet. None of those places you mentioned outside of the KHL are viable. The KHL even tried to expand into some of those places and those teams shut them down in the most expected way imaginable. That's why I didn't mention them. It simply wasn't worth it to point it out and add on to your noted, gigantic failure in research and logic.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
-2 teams in Moscow
-SKA St. Petersburg
-Omsk
-Ufa
-Novosibirsk
-Yekaterinberg
-Nizhny Novogorod
-Kazan
-Chelyabinsk
-Nur Sultan
-Misnk
-Riga
-Helsinki
-Malmo (SHL)
-Tampere (LIIGA)
-Oslo (needs new arena)
-Copenhagen

-Berlin (DEL)
-Cologne (DEL)
-Munich (DEL)
-Hamburg (former DEL)
-Zurich (NLA)
-Bern (NLA)
-Prague (CZH)
-Ostrava (CZH)
-Vienna (ICE)
-Bratislava (Slov)
and 8 of the following
-London
-Manchester
-Paris
-Lyon
-Brussels
-Amsterdam
-Turin
-Milan
-Krakow
-Katowice

With what money?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
When I was in my early teens I loved making lists: what equipment should the Lithuanian army get so we could conquer Latvia?, what players should FBK Kaunas get to win the Champions League?, etc. It was fun. Questions like how?, why? with what money? wouldn't even enter the consideration. This reminds me of one of those lists. Completely detached from reality but well, someone had fun researching cities, or arenas, or whatever the supposedly relevant criteria were.

Proving how wrong or right this list is is kinda like talking about how viable it is for Lithuania to launch a strike on Latvia with Ka-52 attack helicopters all of the sudden.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I hear that and where did that take you? I know the fans wanted to travel and local rivalries, which was a major gripe. But yeah, Balcans are awesome!

Back to our natural environment where we belong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->