KHL Expansion Part VIII

Discussion in 'The KHL' started by Caser, Mar 15, 2019.

1. TheWhiskeyThief Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don’t know about Korea, but Budapest would be interesting. The hockey program has had explicit government support for a while now, The Papp is a quality building but the support among clubs is so spread out you’d need something that all the clubs could coalesce around. The KHL could do that.

I’d rather see them have a way to work their way up to Czech extraliga for MAC, but if they have a shot...

2. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Perhaps I was not precise with a description of what I mean. Not to confuse you, the KHL does not want to expand with any team. The league needs to see some benefits for them to expand. Just in that case, they will expand. Perhaps we will see more rumours than actual clubs joining. It is a matter of negotiations.

I replied to our friend asking why "the KHL is trying to expand even" As I see it, more teams in smaller regions would make life easier for some clubs. The KHL realise that they need to decrease the travelling, so trying to expand with more teams in Europe & Asia to do so. We have discussed it earlier.

As of now the KHL does not see any Russian club capable of joining the league.

Yes, the standards are very important.

3. Faterson Delayed Live forever Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    lingua, frankly
    What's funny are the misnomers, taken for granted by now.

The NHL is not really the NHL. (It's not a national league, but multi-national: Canada & the US.)

And the KHL is not really the KHL. (It's not a continental league, but inter-continental: Europe & Asia.)

:huh:

4. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah, the original name by Fetisov would fit better The Euro-Asian Hockey League.

I will sum up the EAHL idea & you can find five differences with the KHL. When you find them, you will identify why the KHL is doing what it is doing.

The EAHL project was presented in 2005. The league initially would have nine Russian teams, one team from Ukraine (Sokol Kiev), Belarus (Keramin Minsk) & Kazakhstan (Torpedo Ust-Kamenogorsk). A Latvian team would join in the second season. The EAHL planned to expand to Asia & Europe if the expansion had both economic and sports benefits for the league.

Btw, at the time, these hockey plans were intensively discussed in German hockey & business circles. Nothing changed since then.

5. Albatros Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Rumors do not equal negotiations. Nowadays it seems almost as if the opposite is true, when yet more rumors appear one knows there's still nothing going on. To distract from the fact that the league is indeed shrinking, only three years ago there were six more teams and there's currently no reason to believe that's not a continuing trend. That being the case KHL Depletion might be a more proper thread to have by now.

mkev400 and Barclay Donaldson like this.
  6. KTl Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Getting onboard all teams in Hungary? Which would mean merging MAC and Ferencváros, and withdraw Jegesmedvék? Not sure the fans would like that.
    Even than the team would be less competitive than Slovan.

Adding team to the West and to the East does not decrease travelling.

A lot has changed in German hockey and in German-Russian business relations since 2005.

7. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    That is your opinion. Looking that you are new here, so I recommend you to read all discussion. We have already discussed it.

8. Rigafan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Business, business, business.

Look at Kunlun, to the fans they are a novelty team but to the league/Russia/China it was a pure business decision.

The KHL is basically an oil, gas, government tool - I don't really think this is a bad thing, but we have to be honest that it is what it is. Gazprom/Putin and co. have a huge say and influence we are not dealing with 'normal' team owners like in the NHL for example.

KTl likes this.
  9. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So, @Faterson what do you say about today´s press conference? Sounds interesting to me.

10. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I just say one moment from Mr Hrubý presser where he indicated that he started to consider buying Slovan at least three years ago. So, if true, all negotiations took almost 3 years. Just for illustration why the KHL expansion talks use to take a lot of time. And why Jokerit ownership change took some time. It is a business.

11. Jussi Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It took time because they needed to find an oligarch, who wasn't on sanctions lists, to pay for the losses.

Barclay Donaldson likes this.
  12. Barclay Donaldson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Entirely untrue. It is a social donation, symbol of social status, or part of larger political dealings. Businesses aren't subsidized almost entirely by state-operated companies. SKA was the only team to make money, and almost half of their revenues were from their sponsorship with Gazprom. That is not a business.

singlesliceofcheese likes this.
  13. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I recommend you to read my post one more time. And carefully.

Becoming an owner (buying a corporation) or changing the ownership or joining some other entity/group aka a league or others is a business decision which includes some negotiations aka business process. Such business process takes some time, in some cases a lot of time.

Period.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  14. Faterson Delayed Live forever Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    lingua, frankly
    Well, the new Slovan owner was being diplomatic, but it was abundantly clear (to me) that he wants to get the hell out of the Slovak league as soon as possible. :D

You could clearly hear "nostalgia" in his voice when he talked about the KHL seasons in Bratislava, and about Slovan's exhibition games against the Tampa Bay Lightning and the New York Rangers, and that he wants to bring a regular season NHL game to Bratislava. (Boston Bruins would be the perfect fit, given that Bratislava-born & raised Jaro Halák is currently their no. 1 goaltender, and another Slovak player is their captain. If they manage to win the Cup this October, so much the better.)

I also found it interesting he hinted he has a "plan B" if his negotiations with the the city of Bratislava don't go well. He made it clear he's not willing to pay the city "extortionate prices" for the use of the arena.

To me, "plan B" means: building a new hockey arena. (I kinda find it difficult to imagine a regular-season NHL game in an arena with only 10k capacity, but we'll see.)

To the repeated questions from journalists: when is Slovan considering an exit from the Slovak league, Hrubý repeatedly replied: when it's clear that Slovan is the dominating team in Slovak hockey, far and away the best of all Slovak teams. (Which was not the case in this unfinished season, the first since Slovan's return from the KHL.)

So another journalist asked: "So what exactly does it mean, to be dominating in Slovak hockey?" Hrubý replied: "Winning the championship every season."

But then he added: "If it takes us one year to become a competitive team on a top level, then it's going to take one year. And if it's going to take 5 years, it's going to be 5 years."

To me, that sounds like if they can get away from the Slovak league after the following season, they're going to do it. Whether the KHL will be the new destination, remains to be seen. (And, as mentioned earlier, they wish to keep Slovan's farm team in the Slovak league in any case – which was an omission during Slovan's first stint in the KHL.)

PS: Another interesting bit of news from that press conference: Slovan is going to buy out Barry Brust's contract. (Sad to hear for me, also an LA Kings fan.) :cool:

TommySalo likes this.
  15. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Thank you. I also noticed "plan B" with the arena.

Yeah, leaving the Slovak league ... his words why Slovan is ignoring APHK are clear.

16. Barclay Donaldson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Trying to find a new owner or sponsor to subsidize a professional hockey is not "a business."

17. rohky Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    freelance
    Slovan Bratislava in foreign league Will it be KHL or Czech extraliga?

18. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    As one guy says, we will see. All I can do for you is to sum up all the publicly available information.

-the owner says the club may consider a foreign league when the club is ready, the time is not important

-the owner´s advisor, Mr Krajči says he has been in touch with the KHL clubs all the time and he loved being in the KHL as Slovan´s GM. He would welcome the KHL in the future.

-the owner says that Slovan´s participation in the KHL brought the top-level hockey to Slovakia.

-the owner indicated that he started considering the acquisition (buying Slovan) at least 3 or 4 years ago. Slovan played the KHL at the time.

-Mr Krajči also says that the Czech side refused Slovan´s application in the past, so they started to talk to the KHL

Hoping I did not miss any significantly important information.

rohky likes this.
  19. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Of course, I forgot that Maroš Krajči helped the KHL with the KHL World Games in Vienna, Austria & Zürich, Switzerland.

20. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Just to bring a full picture to you @rohky. All media interpreted the words "consider a foreign league" as the KHL. I do not know how @Faterson but I love the reaction by Krajči after the press conference. He said without any hesitation that it is the KHL like it was no secret at all :D

TommySalo likes this.
  21. alko Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    KHL. What else? Czech League dosnt want to take foreign teams, they are happy with their teams. EBEL? No way.

Faterson likes this.
  22. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Some clear message from Oleg Kozhemyako today.

23. TommySalo Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Vorky, please explain or at least give a link.

Faterson likes this.
  24. vorky @vorkywh24

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I can see your true interest in the KHL. So I can explain it to you. Governor of Primorsky Krai Oleg Kozhemyako met with the KHL Board of Directors Chairman Gennady Timchenko. They agreed on Admiral Vladivostok coming back for 2021/22. So, it is just a pause for the club like the KHL has been saying since day one. The same situation as it was with Spartak Moscow a few years ago.

rohky and TommySalo like this.
  25. Exarz Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Wasn't it stated from day one that Admiral was out for primarily this upcoming season? I haven't seen any statement about "completely" folding