KHL Expansion part IV (Mod warning post 760)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Maybe he means the story about financing..the russian money makes sure we can travel, and build the type of a team that will be on the border of playoffs... I'm sure russians won't give money so we could bring nhl players....if we want that kind of players we need to find our own sponsors.... If top 8 teams go to playoffs i am sure medvedev wants at least 4 russian teams, and doesn't care about the rest...if they come from croatia or switzerland or germany or poland....so basically he wants to make fight for those places more interesting... Ska and Dynamo Moscow will get to playoffs every year...

I dont know. My first impression was that he talks about roster... Medvescak re-signed only a few guys who played in EBEL. But how this applies to KHL´s expansion, I dont know.

Here is russian text, my translation is not perfect, you can check the original.

- Заявку на вступление в КХЛ подавала норвежская "Волеренга". Что не устроило лигу?

- Они очень хотят играть в КХЛ, но у нас есть заявки из более хоккейных стран. Наш приоритет – это ведущие хоккейные державы: Швеция, Швейцария, Германия. К сожалению, там федерации не очень поддерживают стремление клубов вступить в КХЛ. Норвегия тоже не последняя страна, с уважением относимся к этой заявке.

- Какие клубы из названных вами стран заинтересованы во вступлении в КХЛ?

- Здесь ситуация такая же, как с "Медвешчаком". Ведь в КХЛ вступил не тот клуб, который играл в Австрийской хоккейной лиге - там только пара игроков, кажется, остались. Если сборные в состоянии собрать сильных хоккеистов, то и клубные команды в этих странах могут быть созданы.

- То есть ведутся переговоры о создании в Швеции и Германии для вступления в КХЛ клубов по примеру "Медвешчака"?

- Не буду раскрывать секреты, но такие переговоры ведутся.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
a club from a lower division ? Allsvenskan etc.

Malmö is the only viable team, from a KHL standpoint, and even then a bad one, considering hockey is not a big sport in the city. On the other hand, the people with real power in the team already said they aren't even considering a KHL move.

All other teams are very small city/village teams. Would KHL be fine with a 2k attendance? :laugh:

Sucro

Rhymesayers Fanboy
May 11, 2013
Vienna
Clubs like Medvescak in Sweden? Can't come up with a club like that..

It's not "clubs like Medvescak". That's about the way how Medvescak was rebuild after joining the KHL, meaning that most of the roster has been changed.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I think they cant loose with Norway. its an elite rank hockey country that is getting better. They could add clubs from Sweden or Germany or what ever on top. And not to mention the norwegian hockey federation is not makeing a problem of it, while others are. Ibelive it would help the popularity of the sport in norway even more and KHL in the same blow. i dn...

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
It's not "clubs like Medvescak". That's about the way how Medvescak was rebuild after joining the KHL, meaning that most of the roster has been changed.

Ooh :laugh:

Then it has to be Malmö they are talking about, which would make sense if they don't get promoted this season when SHL expands with two teams (from 12 to 14)

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Ooh :laugh:

Then it has to be Malmö they are talking about, which would make sense if they don't get promoted this season when SHL expands with two teams (from 12 to 14)

It won't be Malmö. They've already said if Percy puts preassure on them to join KHL, they'll move to Isstadion. And considering they signed a 3 year contract to play in Arenan, he basically has no say anymore about it anyways.

I guess it could be AIK. But I personally feel like that's doomed to fail very quick.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
It won't be Malmö. They've already said if Percy puts preassure on them to join KHL, they'll move to Isstadion. And considering they signed a 3 year contract to play in Arenan, he basically has no say anymore about it anyways.

I guess it could be AIK. But I personally feel like that's doomed to fail very quick.

I actually didn't think of AIK :laugh:

The KHL board would shoot themselves in the foot by applying AIK to the league :shakehead

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
I'd love to see AIK play in the KHL, their current situation is somewhat sad so I don't think there'd be all too much to lose in giving it a try either.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Me too. I can imagine it, "old historic club from the capital of sweden"... plus, cool jersies.

And for example I can't, like me or hate me for that opinion. I think the KHL doesn't need Sweden and Sweden doesn't need the KHL at the moment, maybe it will be different in 5-10 years. KHL can expand elsewhere, even in non-traditional hockey countries but at specific clubs that are popular within their region. We are in year 2014 and with a decent contract with a charter flight company you can get across the continent rather easily...well comparing to North America for example. The KHL desperately needs the switch to an NHL-like division and conference system where the clubs mostly play the clubs nearby. The biggest problem for European expansion that I see is the financial state of Europe, not the official almost "propaganda" sounding like reports about recovery and growth, but the real cash flow problems of companies that serve on a local basis that can be sponsors of hockey teams based on local patriotism. Another problem I see right now is the Russian character of the league when it comes to YouTube recaps of games, websites, Instagram profiles, Twitter, majority of referees being Russian and such. If the KHL works on it being more international and English-friendly, I guarantee you there could be clubs interested...and fans too! In big numbers.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I'd love to see AIK play in the KHL, their current situation is somewhat sad so I don't think there'd be all too much to lose in giving it a try either.

I heard from someone (it might've been on HF boards) that some AIK fans discussed joining KHL and they would give it a chance.

Since most of the AIK fans are football fans (they barely got a hockey tradition), there might be a chance of getting more fans to the games. It could also be the opposite way (losing fans), but who knows? It's hard to predict in a situation like AIK's

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I heard from someone (it might've been on HF boards) that some AIK fans discussed joining KHL and they would give it a chance.

Since most of the AIK fans are football fans (they barely got a hockey tradition), there might be a chance of getting more fans to the games. It could also be the opposite way (losing fans), but who knows? It's hard to predict in a situation like AIK's

intersting, any source?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Malmö is the only viable team, from a KHL standpoint, and even then a bad one, considering hockey is not a big sport in the city. On the other hand, the people with real power in the team already said they aren't even considering a KHL move.

All other teams are very small city/village teams. Would KHL be fine with a 2k attendance? :laugh:

it is a big sport. around 6000 people watching the games, and all this in shl-2. we would have 10 000 if we played in shl.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

AIK have hardly any people watching their games in SHL, the would not care of KHL at all.

+ firman boys would never allowed it. they are in charge with everything in AIK. KHL is viewed as a plastic league with no heart. Heart and tradion is important in Sweden.

16s99-FIRMAN2-1.jpg

:laugh:

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
intersting, any source?

Sorry, it was a while ago. I think it was discussed on the official AIK forum. I'll try and ask a few AIK-fans on different forums what they think of it (so I can get their opinion directly!)

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
AIK have hardly any people watching their games in SHL, the would not care of KHL at all.

+ firman boys would never allowed it. they are in charge with everything in AIK. KHL is viewed as a plastic league with no heart. Heart and tradion is important in Sweden.

16s99-FIRMAN2-1.jpg

:laugh:

Meh, they got Russian firms to fight instead :laugh:

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava

This song starting to be funny and also tiresome.. I can't believe that you still don't undestand it. Fans? Your opinion? Nobody cares about that.. if KHL wants Swedish team they will get one (or maybe more), sooner or letter but they will...

Slovan fans wanted to boycott, many of them had done it.. and guess what? No one cares about that, almost all games in last two years was sold out...

Czech fans, "we dont want that fake team here".. "nobody cares about them and nobody cares about KHL (Russian teams and Russian league) here.." and guess what? Popularity of them are grownig, their attendance in PO was great.. Not mention that if you call Lev that they are fake team, they are mad..

Then Finns on this board or in personal talk.. "KHL in Finland? No way, fans will never allow it.. bla bla bla" ... Jokerit is there, and no one cares about fans or anyone on this board.

note: ten boys in masks, yeah whole KHL is afraid of them..

Slovan fans before one of their BBQ session (how they call it)

201007072136_ekipaslovanu.jpg

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Then Finns on this board or in personal talk.. "KHL in Finland? No way, fans will never allow it.. bla bla bla" ... Jokerit is there, and no one cares about fans or anyone on this board.

You're lying here. No one said fans wouldn't allow it (though it hasn't been unanimously supported). It was other reasons why people said it wouldn't happen. We said it wouldn't happen with domestic money, which it didn't, and no one took into account the financial problems Harkimo was facing nor how hungry for money Kalervo Kummola is.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Copying my post from the Leopards thread here:

I think we're witnessing the result of a too rapid expansion when the likes of Max Wärn get signed. The level/quality of teams are taking a huge drop when players that are 3rd/4th line players in their domestic leagues are suddenly good enough for KHL. That in turn will lower the quality of the the other leagues, meaning an inferior development environment, which in turn will lead to less potential players for KHL in the future.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
It's sad how effed up situation is in AIK when they let the apes aka hooligans = firman boys call the shots. I knew the situation in AIK football but if that's the case also in hockey...pathetic.

And what comes to the meaning of a word "fan" used here it means certainly more than just ultras/firms.

Last edited:

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
You're lying here. No one said fans wouldn't allow it (though it hasn't been unanimously supported). It was other reasons why people said it wouldn't happen. We said it wouldn't happen with domestic money, which it didn't, and no one took into account the financial problems Harkimo was facing nor how hungry for money Kalervo Kummola is.

Read page 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and more in this thread and tell me who is lying? Most of reactions are about fans, how they stop support Jokerit if they join KHL, maybe even found out new Jokerit like they did in football.. bla bla bla same song like in Slovakia and Czech..

Obviously that's was not my point..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad