KHL Expansion part IV (Mod warning post 760)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
12,5 % AND their home arena. Sure it's different with Hammarby, but definitely AEG is a very important partner for both.

AEG do not own the arena, they only own the right to sell food and beverage inside the arena. The arena itself is owned by the Stockholm Municipality (the people).

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Expanding to Japan and South Korea doesn't sound that utopian but Jerusalem... really?

Israeli hockey federations president is a Russian. And I hope you know, how much business ties are there between Russia and Israel, and more or less that's the main driving force between all of current KHL foreign teams.

Basically, Jerusalem is not that different from Zagreb all things considered. Couple of years ago, I'd say Israel had more hockey going on than Donetsk for example.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
This is insane yet entertaining. Following link speaks about KHL expansion eastward and, I guess, southward. Two potential teams in each China, Korean and Japan. And it goes into decent details about a team in Jerusalem (!), which will have an arena ready for use in 2017.

http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...8401_KHL-pereorientiruetsya-s-Evropi-na-Aziyu (in Russian)

"Also in the CHL prospects include the establishment of the Asian league involving the two Koreas, two Japanese, two Chinese and two Russian teams."

A North Korean team? :amazed: Or is it just badly translated?.. :laugh:

Added: I can't get it together if Medvedev has said that 32 is the maximum amount of teams that will play in the league.

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Adding a North korean team would be really bad for KHL. It would create such bad publicity. Would a south korean team even play them? :laugh:

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Adding a North korean team would be really bad for KHL. It would create such bad publicity. Would a south korean team even play them? :laugh:

It has to be a bad translation, I can't imagine a North Korean team!

I mean, who would and who would be able play there? Where would they get the money from? :laugh:

punchonico99

Jan 2, 2014
Quebec

For a rare time, I completely agree with you. I think it's bad not only if they add a team from Korea but from Japan, China and Israel (OMFG) aswell.

Kennel

Aug 17, 2012
Added: I can't get it together if Medvedev has said that 32 is the maximum amount of teams that will play in the league.

I'm not sure why "the maximum number of teams is 32" is considered to be some kind of fact. It's something that has been said and it's something that can be changed whenever there's an opportunity or suitable situation.

Now, I'm not saying that there will be more than that, but "the 32" is just a rough guideline and nothing more.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
"Also in the CHL prospects include the establishment of the Asian league involving the two Koreas, two Japanese, two Chinese and two Russian teams."

The article isn't about the KHL expanding anywhere. It's saying about KHL's plans for a new Asian league that will include two Russian, two Chinese, two Korean and two Japanese teams. It wouldn't be the first KHL backed league, you know, they already hepled to launch MHL and VHL.

The Jerusalem part isn't that major either, it's about Russian plans to invest into Israeli ice hockey, first of all kids hockey.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City

Bad translation. Two Korean teams, obviously South Korean.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I think interesting numbers for this thread. Attendance for teams not from top-6 leagues (KHL, SHL, NLA, DEL, Liiga, Czech Extraliga) per IIHF. First number is place in latest IIHF rankings:
30 Djurgården Stockholm SWE-2 6,142
39 Malmö Redhawks SWE-2 5,667
45 Nottingham Panthers GBR 5,259
51 SCL Tigers Langnau SUI-2 5,208
62 Vienna Capitals AUT 4,846
74 Grenoble Brûleurs d.L. FRA 4,343
77 Stavanger Oilers NOR 4,119
79 Belfast Giants GBR 4,023
81 KAC Klagenfurt AUT 3,971
85 Black Wings Linz AUT 3,865
90 HC Ceske Budejovice CZE-2 3,724
91 Löwen Frankfurt GER-3 3,708
93 HC Kosice SVK 3,703
97 Björklöven Umeå SWE-2 3,641
100 VSV Villach AUT 3,555

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The article isn't about the KHL expanding anywhere. It's saying about KHL's plans for a new Asian league that will include two Russian, two Chinese, two Korean and two Japanese teams. It wouldn't be the first KHL backed league, you know, they already hepled to launch MHL and VHL.

The Jerusalem part isn't that major either, it's about Russian plans to invest into Israeli ice hockey, first of all kids hockey.

What? Two KHL leagues? Or a new Asian division consisting of 2 Russian teams (Vladivostok is one), two Chinese, two Korean, and two Japanese teams?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
i think Vladivostok stays in the KHL, so does Khabarovsk, but Sakhalin for example can go to the Asian league....Amur's farm used to play in an Asian league before.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
What? Two KHL leagues? Or a new Asian division consisting of 2 Russian teams (Vladivostok is one), two Chinese, two Korean, and two Japanese teams?

The article clearly says "a new league". Like a separate hockey championship in the Far East. Khabarovsk and Vladivostok could fit very well there, given their extreme distance from the rest of the KHL, but at this moment there aren't any details to speak of.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
The article clearly says "a new league". Like a separate hockey championship in the Far East. Khabarovsk and Vladivostok could fit very well there, given their extreme distance from the rest of the KHL, but at this moment there aren't any details to speak of.

It sounds more like its reworked asian league, just takeing out 2 Japanese clubs and 1 Korean which are the best really of what they got in it and makeing room for one more chinese club and two russian ones. But its unlikely. China dragons are always dead last. im not sure Japan would like it otherwise.

I mean its more likely they will make another asian league with Harbin and Qiqhiar as Chinese clubs, some Japanese clubs from J-North (like second japanese division) and couple of South Korean teams. All to promote and develope hockey in those clubs and for those countries because in long run if hockey can catch on better and more noticably those owuld be huge markets for KHL in future.

TemplateR

Jan 4, 2014
Dortmund

Well, then the whole eastern conference teams of the KHL could move to the "new" league.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Take it to the bank -- two Russian teams will be affiliates of Amur and Admiral. In two of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Komsomolsk-na-Amure, Ussuriysk.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So the Russian teams would be like VHL quality?

And who would rule over this Asian League? KHL? Or a partnership with the KHL? Or a whole new separate entity with help from the KHL to start it up?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
So the Russian teams would be like VHL quality?

And who would rule over this Asian League? KHL? Or a partnership with the KHL? Or a whole new separate entity with help from the KHL to start it up?

Yeah, VHL quality. KHL I think, at least the way Sportbox' report put it, it definitely seems that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->