KHL Expansion part IV (Mod warning post 760)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I agree with CSKA in the last thread VHL would be actually fun to watch with little clubs getting demoted there. Germans have pretty good budgets actually, i doubt they would have a problem. even if russian sponsors come into it they wount be very much out of place since bundesliga has alot of russian sponsors. Russian businesses really wants to expand properly into Germany so it wouldnt be like oh we are doing this by directive. There would be a financial goal behind it. Swiss aswell i dont htink would have a problem with the budget.
Scandinavians are another matter.
I do wonder if HC Milano would be able to do it without russian help if they got into KHL.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I agree with CSKA in the last thread VHL would be actually fun to watch with little clubs getting demoted there. Germans have pretty good budgets actually, i doubt they would have a problem. even if russian sponsors come into it they wount be very much out of place since bundesliga has alot of russian sponsors. Russian businesses really wants to expand properly into Germany so it wouldnt be like oh we are doing this by directive. There would be a financial goal behind it. Swiss aswell i dont htink would have a problem with the budget.
Scandinavians are another matter.
I do wonder if HC Milano would be able to do it without russian help if they got into KHL.

:laugh: :biglaugh:

You do realize that the fact that there might be a KHL team in Milano soon is does not even qualify as news over there? 99,9999% of the people in Milano has no idea about it, and doesn't care either. Why should they not have issues with the budget? Why should Italian companies sponsor a team noone cares about? Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me, from a bussiness wanting to be seen point-of-view.

The fact that Russians seem to think KHL can plant teams wherever and instantly or within a few years be able to support themselves is laughable and sad. If you actually believe that you have no sense of reality. If KHL expands to the locations some of you have posted, almost all of those teams will be dependant on cash from Russia.

Last edited:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
:laugh: :biglaugh:

You do realize that the fact that there might be a KHL team in Milano soon is does not even qualify as news over there? 99,9999% of the people in Milano has no idea about it, and doesn't care either. Why should they not have issues with the budget? Why should Italian companies sponsor a team noone cares about? Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me, from a bussiness wanting to be seen point-of-view.

And you know that how? I dont know im not Italian, so how do you exactly know than and so resolutely say this? Are you saying Italian companies dont want to expand into Russia more? And who says their attendance and interest wount rise? Its a multi million city and a very densely populated region. There are Italians on the KHL forum that could answer this much better than you or I.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
And you know that how? I dont know im not Italian, so how do you exactly know than and so resolutely say this? Are you saying Italian companies dont want to expand into Russia more? And who says their attendance and interest wount rise? Its a multi million city and a very densely populated region. There are Italians on the KHL forum that could answer this much better than you or I.

I have family in Milano, and spend a lot of time there and know a lot of people as a result. I might not be as qualified to comment that as Italians living there, but my comments about it are a lot more valid than your opinions.

It's like putting a baseball team in Sweden. Even if the new york yankees or whatever team is the best currently moved to Sweden people wouldn't give a ****.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I have family in Milano, and spend a lot of time there and know a lot of people as a result. I might not be as qualified to comment that as Italians living there, but my comments about it are a lot more valid than your opinions.

It's like putting a baseball team in Sweden. Even if the new york yankees or whatever team is the best currently moved to Sweden people wouldn't give a ****.

I think you are mixing up your English words here, mine was a suppositions at best backed by one fact or mostly straight up questions. I dont state an opinion about something i have no real knowledge off. That is why there are question marks at the end of sentences, so i would find out ;)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I believe he's saying that hockey is a very, very small sport in Italy. Also, have you seen any news lately? Are you aware of the state of Italian economy?

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I believe he's saying that hockey is a very, very small sport in Italy. Also, have you seen any news lately? Are you aware of the state of Italian economy?

yeh i know but the north is pretty much stabile financially as a region i believe

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Milano would absolutely be interesting to have in the KHL. It would be sort of like the KHL's Tampa Bay or something. Very attractive for foreigners I would assume.

If possible to attract fans, sponsors etc. is possible? Difficult to say. Anything is possible but my gut tells me it won't happen. At least not at this point in time.

I think a good move would be to put Milano in EBEL for a few seasons, and see how much the club will grow. And then perhaps get back to KHL discussions.

Any other news of late about any team joining? Speculations or confirmations, all welcome.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

he is right

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Considering that the norwegian oilers team took donbas to a shootout , http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/recap/8374.html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=35469b49f6 , I think it's fair to say that a nowegian team in the KHL would be okay! Donbas is somewhat high in the standings too.

Have there been any other meetings between norwegian and khl teams?

No, it's not even close to fair to say that yet. Lyon beat Real Madrid in Champions league a few years ago, does it mean they would have been a top 2 team in La liga then?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Considering that the norwegian oilers team took donbas to a shootout , http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/recap/8374.html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=35469b49f6 , I think it's fair to say that a nowegian team in the KHL would be okay! Donbas is somewhat high in the standings too.

Have there been any other meetings between norwegian and khl teams?

Because individual games are a good sign of league/club strength? Btw, your link takes to the European Women's Champions Cup results.

loppa*

Because individual games are a good sign of league/club strength? Btw, your link takes to the European Women's Champions Cup results.

IIHF links are weird, they don't always transfer correctly.

Type this into google, it should show up.

Donbass starts with win

Continental Cup: Pesky Oilers force shootout
10-01-14

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Well, how are things regarding the expanding to whole another region – Asia. Is there any hints that there could be any Chinese, Korean or Japanese teams in future? Korea is supposed to participate in their own winter olympics 2018 and after that, i could see a chance for them to be moving to KHL (Seoul Tigers?).

Any news, hints or whatsoever?

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Right now Donbass is in OT with a team from the French league and I was just wondering...how good is French hockey that they're able to compete with a good KHL team? How good would a French 'all star' team be? Is a team in Paris a viable option down the road, from a competitive standpoint?

In IIHF rankings, France is ahead of Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Italy; and just behind Latvia and Germany

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
How does that work? Donbass won all of their previous games, including against the Oilers. They lose in a SO to the Dragons and then the Oilers win the tournament?

or is it 3pts for win, 2pts for OTW, and 1pt for OTL?

ahh....Pejorative Slured rules. Got penalized a point for beating the Oilers in OT.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
How good would a French 'all star' team be? Is a team in Paris a viable option down the road, from a competitive standpoint?

In IIHF rankings, France is ahead of Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Italy; and just behind Latvia and Germany

I think all counties which played in CC-final are able to built a competitive KHL-team. All 3 nations are at WC Top-Division.

- a french team with some french canadians
- an italian team with some NA-guys with italian roots
- a norwegian team with some foreigners

but I think only in norway hockey is popular enough to get an acceptable attendence.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Right now Donbass is in OT with a team from the French league and I was just wondering...how good is French hockey that they're able to compete with a good KHL team? How good would a French 'all star' team be? Is a team in Paris a viable option down the road, from a competitive standpoint?

Who cares, it all depends on the budget. Croatia plays in the D2A and KHL has a team there. Current hockey situation in France surely isn't worse than it was in Latvia when Dinamo was created so that was never a concern.

Also, the question shouldn't be how good is French hockey but how bad were Donbass playing since the same French team lost to Asiago 6-0 few days ago.

ahh....Pejorative Slured rules. Got penalized a point for beating the Oilers in OT.

Actually these are the rules that make sense and give teams something to play for if the score is tied in the third, unlike the ones of the NHL.

Also, that's one of the strangest sequences in a hockey match I've seen - Wilson scores late in the third to give Donbass a lead, Nazarov even takes the time-out to tell players how to finish off the game, Rouen score 11 seconds after :laugh:

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Current hockey situation in France surely isn't worse than it was in Latvia when Dinamo so that was never a concern.

I thought Latvia likes hockey though? France doesn't care about it, especially not Paris. Planting a team in a country that likes hockey should not be compared to one where it's barely on the radar.
I really hope you're not naive enough to think that planting a team would make people interested. And for god sake don't bring up "it's all about marketing". No, it is not. If you put a lacrosse team from the best league in the world, wherever that is, in Stockholm people wouldn't give 2 ***** about it. News would never write about it, doesn't matter how much you market it. It's WAY too early to even consider Paris at this stage. Let them get some casual interest first. It'll probably take at least 20 years (if ever) before putting a team there would make sense. That is, unless some Russian person figures he has too much money and wants to spend it on something people don't care about? :dunno:

Last edited:

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Actually these are the rules that make sense and give teams something to play for if the score is tied in the third, unlike the ones of the NHL.

The rules are ridiculous house-league nonsense. Wins and losses are the only things that matter IMO. The NHL would benefit from doing away with points altogether and syncing up with the rest of the major professional sports leagues.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
I thought Latvia likes hockey though? France doesn't care about it, especially not Paris. Planting a team in a country that likes hockey should not be compared to one where it's barely on the radar.
I really hope you're not naive enough to think that planting a team would make people interested. And for god sake don't bring up "it's all about marketing". No, it is not. If you put a lacrosse team from the best league in the world, wherever that is, in Stockholm people wouldn't give 2 ***** about it. News would never write about it, doesn't matter how much you market it. It's WAY too early to even consider Paris at this stage. Let them get some casual interest first. It'll probably take at least 20 years (if ever) before putting a team there would make sense. That is, unless some Russian person figures he has too much money and wants to spend it on something people don't care about? :dunno:

The fact that the French league is producing good enough players and has a stable league should be evidence enough that it has to be popular at the grassroots level at the very least. If you can expand into the southern U.S. where they produce zero players, why not into western europe?

(disclaimer: i don't necessarily want a team in france, I'm just speaking hypothetically)

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Well, since we not are discussing loosely on the possibility of a team in France, Rouen. How much attendance did the team bring to their own games against foreign opponents in this CC? And how much do they have during their regular games in the French league and in the finals?

On my quick research I did just now, Rouen seems to be a 500-650 thousand inhab. city, so it's pretty big I'd say. At least in European standards right?

The team Rouen Dragon seems to be pretty professional and they seem to like international play.

So it would be interesting to know how many people went to the arena to support their team against, what some Europeans will say "teams that no one have ever heard of and that no one cares about".

If they sold out their arena in this CC it would be promising I would say. If only 200 persons came to the arena then of course the interest is not too big.

And yes I agree, it shouldn't really be any problem at all to put a team in France, Italy or Norway. Just fill the teams with national team players and good imports and they are fine.

A French team could also use many French-Canadians so the whole team would speak French, haha.

In theory you could put a team in the UK also, but there would not really be any British players on the team, it would be more or less like a Medvescak team, and they could put the very best British players in the fourth line if they wanted to, but it would of course hurt the team more than help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->