Ansar Khan: Khan thinks Zetterbergs done. Zadina, Rasmussen and Hronek to make the season-opening roster

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Rasmussen No.1 C opening night in his first NHL game ever? Lol. The Nhl would investigate us blatantly tanking.

What? Where do you get that? Are you trolling? Or are not able to see this correctly?
In case you can't see it correctly, Ill mark the positions:

1LW - Filip Zadina2 LW - Michael Rasmussen3 LW - Thomas Vanek4 LW - Darren Helm
1 C - Dylan Larkin2C - Frans Nielsen3C - Andreas Athanasiou4C - Luke Glendening
1 RW - Gustav Nyquist2 RW - Anthony Mantha3 RW - Tyler Bertuzzi4 RW - Justin Abdelkader
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What? Where do you get that? Are you trolling? Or are not able to see this correctly?

1 RW - Gustav Nyquist2 RW - Anthony Mantha3 RW - Tyler Bertuzzi4 RW - Justin Abdelkader
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Usually the C is in the middle. You know because they are the center? Your row order is very confusing... Btw I actually like these line combos but would want to squeeze Svechnikov in somehow

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 Savage

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Usually the C is in the middle. You know because they are the center? Your row order is very confusing... Btw I actually like these line combos but would want to squeeze Svechnikov in somehow

The C is in the middle, I just did the lines by column rather then by row. Agreed on Svechnikov, I want to see him play, but I can't see him taking a spot from any of these 12. I expect him up when we have our first injury (outside of Z).

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Zetterberg is basically done. Even if he does play it’s basically over from here.Is Rasmussen even a Center?I still think I would feel better about us down the middle had we took Gabe Vilardi a few years ago but time will tell.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Zetterberg is basically done. Even if he does play it’s basically over from here.Is Rasmussen even a Center?I still think I would feel better about us down the middle had we took Gabe Vilardi a few years ago but time will tell.

I don't really question that Rasmussen will be able to hold down a center spot. I think the question is if his offensive contribution is significantly higher on the wing that it outweighs his value at center. With what we have going forward, I think larkin is going to be at worst be a good center for one of the top 2 lines, Rasmussen will be able to settle into one of the middle two lines, and Veleno is a bit of a wild card. If either of Rasmussen or Larkin exceeds those expectations we're looking really good. Or if we win the lotto next spring and grab Hughes we're looking great.

Reactions: SirloinUB

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I am not sure long-term we are not better with Rasmussen as a 1st line winger than a 2nd/3rd tweener at center. I think he can be a two but I also like Veleno there or hopefully everyone slots down one spot with the addition of Jack Hughes. What I can say is in my opinion Vilardi can't play center at least certainly not in the uptempo style I am hopeful we will play at center moving forward. Necas to me was the real debate and with his handiness I sometimes wonder. Not real worried about a guy we ranked as a winger and was deep on our draft board from what I have heard. Vilardi wasn't even a discussion on the board at that point, time might tell but he wasn't a guy really being discussed so that part is weird in terms of some of the fixation around here, he wasn't really ever an option from what I understand. If we wanted to take a winger we could have taken Tippett, we apparently didn't think much of that either.

Reactions: TheMule93

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Vilardi didn't get kicked around in the same way that Zadina didn't really get kicked around. Everyone assumed he'd be gone.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Funny you'd prefer Vilardi considering he is already fighting some back issues. Missed a lot of last season because of it and now it has stopped him from being at the WJC showcase. It could be a non-issue going forward but it's not a great recurring issue to have at that young age.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
From Yahoo today:

Things look awfully grim for the Detroit Red Wings

"...it’s worth noting that when Zetterberg was on the ice this season, the Red Wings outscored their opponents by 25, and when he was off the ice, they got outscored by 65."

Ouch.
I was just about to quote that article.

It also mentions that he was on the ice for almost 37% of the Wings Goals For.

In particular it will be interesting to see what kind of season Mantha has since he played so much with Z. It makes me think they'll keep him with Larkin (who he played with second most).

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I do like your lineup even thou I prefer switch first 2 line wingers because I believe Mantha is going to have huge year. Mantha and Rasmussen should be in the same line . I like idea that Bert and AA in the same line . I only see Svechnikov in the lineup if he improve his skating . He or Frk will replace Nyquist later on . I like a lot Zach Gallant , hope he will replace Helm at the end of the season

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Vilardi didn't get kicked around in the same way that Zadina didn't really get kicked around. Everyone assumed he'd be gone.

I think that makes sense in terms of why posters thought that, but the Wings ranked Vilardi on their board he was just lower. Now we are certainly hoping a sliding prospect in Veleno proves everyone wrong that we just picked up. However, I don't think the Wings were stunned to see Vilardi on the board when it came time to pick, they just weren't that interested like some of the other teams passing on him. I will be fascinated to watch his transition to pro hockey because I am also in the camp of I really wonder if his skating will plague his career. He has high-end playmaking and vision but if he can't keep up or get space he might be in big trouble.

I know there was some injuries on the big two all-star talents that I am about to list, though it is worth noting Vilardi has already had/has core issues as a junior player, but his skating reminds me of Heatley (post-accident) and Cheechoo. It is a real problem and one that without some fixes might shorten his NHL career significantly. Those other players played in a different era and struggled when the pace of play picked up. I guess to put another way the only Wings prospect I think skates as poorly as Vilardi is Holmstrom in terms of the strange gate and lack of pace.

Time will tell, I certainly hope all these prospects pan out or at least pan out after the Leafs and Hawks trade them and they revive their careers on those unlucky enough to be drafted by those franchises...:laugh:

But the red flags on Vilardi are real. I heard the same concerns from a friend that scouts from Nashville, there are several around the industry that really wonder what he is as a NHL player.

Z's loss is going to be felt in a massive way. I like breaking Rasmussen in on the wing. I am not certain if he will be the #2C or what his role is down the line. A ton of that comes from what we will see and figure out in the next couple seasons. I believe in his talent, I believe he will help us improve. He is an impressive prospect and certainly a weapon moving forward. But should we win the Hughes sweepstakes or get a Turcotte, his future well might be on the wing. By the way I think that reorganizes the thoughts on him anyway because on the wing he projects to do a lot more damage offensively in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Cusack

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I was just about to quote that article.

It also mentions that he was on the ice for almost 37% of the Wings Goals For.

In particular it will be interesting to see what kind of season Mantha has since he played so much with Z. It makes me think they'll keep him with Larkin (who he played with second most).
If he doesn't play, we're really going to see this team bottom out.

Went from Z/D/Lidstrom to none of them and no one even close to replacing them.

We've all been saying it for a couple years. "This team is bad. If Z goes down for any length of time you're going to see just how bad it is."

We're all going to see soon enough.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I do not think Vilardi’s skating will be an issue personally, and I think he fell more because of injuries and how his skating looked coming back from injuries.

If you watched him last season, don’t think his skating looked that bad.

I think he has the skill to make up for average (or closer to average) skating just like Zadina does for the most part.

I do understand wanting a center last year though, and I don’t think Vilardi will be that.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I do not think Vilardi’s skating will be an issue personally, and I think he fell more because of injuries and how his skating looked coming back from injuries.

If you watched him last season, don’t think his skating looked that bad.

I think he has the skill to make up for average (or closer to average) skating just like Zadina does for the most part.

I do understand wanting a center last year though, and I don’t think Vilardi will be that.

Hell, Rasmussen might not be a center either. Between the two, give me the prospect who's more likely to be an impact player.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
From Yahoo today:

Things look awfully grim for the Detroit Red Wings

"...it’s worth noting that when Zetterberg was on the ice this season, the Red Wings outscored their opponents by 25, and when he was off the ice, they got outscored by 65."

Ouch.

I mean, I guess... but at some point, what does it matter? We were not going to look good with Z. Without Z, it'll force Larkin to learn to carry the damn load or prove out that he's not worth anything more than the contract he just signed. It'll make AA carry the load... or they'll know that he's not worth a damn.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I mean, I guess... but at some point, what does it matter? We were not going to look good with Z. Without Z, it'll force Larkin to learn to carry the damn load or prove out that he's not worth anything more than the contract he just signed. It'll make AA carry the load... or they'll know that he's not worth a damn.
I'd say it matters because 2018-19 should be the rock bottom of the rebuilding process (hopefully with the draft results to make it worthwhile).

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Chris Johnston: Henrik Zetterberg tells @sportbladet that his back issues will force him to miss Red Wings training camp and the start of the season: "I have not been able to train and I can not play NHL matches without being well prepared, especially not at my age."

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hell, Rasmussen might not be a center either. Between the two, give me the prospect who's more likely to be an impact player.

.His game translates very well to being a center as a pro. I’m not worried about him starting out as a winger as a 19 year old. Just like I always saw Larkin ending up back in the middle and said as much.

As for your last part, personally I had them ranked far apart so I would have went that direction. But we will see what happens. We got our dynamic winger this year instead, who I like even better.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Well, it's "official".

Chris Johnston

@reporterchris

Henrik Zetterberg tells @sportbladet that his back issues will force him to miss Red Wings training camp and the start of the season: "I have not been able to train and I can not play NHL matches without being well prepared, especially not at my age."

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
So sad to see Z in this condition and unfit for the sendoff he deserves.

The silver lining in this is two-fold: (1) the kids will get more opportunity to play and develop because of the open roster spot and (2) and most importantly, IMO, is that his absence makes us worse. A counterintuitive assertion at a high-level. It pains me terribly to see this team lose games, but the worse we are now, the higher the probability that we draft high-end talent and return to competitiveness sooner.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think if we're being honest with ourselves, it's unlikely he comes back at all. He would have to magically get healthy, then spend months getting into shape. I just don't see it. Goodnight, sweet beard.
That's my take as well. Just setting the stage, at this point, for his LTI-Retirement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad