Ansar Khan: Khan thinks Zetterbergs done. Zadina, Rasmussen and Hronek to make the season-opening roster

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We'll wait for the training camp.

Henrik Zetterberg will report to Detroit Red Wings training camp in mid-September. After that, it remains to be seen what happens.

He must pass a physical to take part in training camp. If he’s cleared, then he’ll test his troublesome back on the ice before it’s determined whether he can play in a preseason game.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Interesting if they like Sulak as much as the article implies. But I feel bad for Hank...that back must be a wreck.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Interesting if they like Sulak as much as the article implies. But I feel bad for Hank...that back must be a wreck.
Im liking the Sulak love. I want him to get a serious look. As for Hank we all knew this was coming. It’s sad but he was a great player and his long-term health is what’s most important. Look at Franzen , he should have retired about 4 concussions ago.:(

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Based on these reports, I think it would be a major mistake if Z continues to play. I feel the same way about Kronwall and Kesler on Anaheim.

Sacrificing your quality of life for a few million bucks and a rebuilding team isn't worth it. I understand this is their life and livelihood, but they have kids now and while I'm sure they've already thought about all that and more, I worry about the team pressuring him to come back.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Best news here is Hronek. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Can't wait for these young guys on defense. I feel like we've had the same defense for 6 years lol.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Based on these reports, I think it would be a major mistake if Z continues to play. I feel the same way about Kronwall and Kesler on Anaheim.

Sacrificing your quality of life for a few million bucks and a rebuilding team isn't worth it. I understand this is their life and livelihood, but they have kids now and while I'm sure they've already thought about all that and more, I worry about the team pressuring him to come back.
Agreed - they made their $$$, and now it's time to hang'em up.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It would be... disappointing to see Hronek spending time in the press box. I want him in Detroit, but I want him on the ice, more.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I mean, Hronek is the safe bet for being the #7 to start the season. I don't see who is more likely to be up than him?

I can't see him being #7, if anything I see him being #6 with Jensen as #7.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't see him being a press box guy. They want him playing games. If it is the #7 spot that is up for grabs, Sulak or Hicketts would make more sense.
See it more as a starting point. Perhaps even being in the lineup day 1, but certainly rotating in pretty quickly.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
When did the back problems begin with Zetterberg? Was there a hit or something? Or is it just wear and tear?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't see him being a press box guy. They want him playing games. If it is the #7 spot that is up for grabs, Sulak or Hicketts would make more sense.

I agree, except for the Hicketts part. Like Hronek, they probably want Hicketts either playing every NHL game or big minutes in the AHL while he can still be sent down without waivers. Hicketts is probably a lock to get at least the #7 spot in 19-20 when he's no longer waiver exempt and definitely Kronwall, likely Jensen and possibly Daley are gone.

Even though he can go to GR without waivers, Sulak makes more sense as a #7 because he's in that overage Michael Kempny/Jakub Jerabek type gray area where they have a small window to discover his NHL game. I'm also guessing he may still have a "European assignment clause" that says he goes to Europe instead of the AHL if he doesn't make the NHL squad, or he can go back to Europe if he isn't on the NHL team by some certain date early in the season.

I think unless he's a disaster in the pre-season (like last year), Sulak is likely a lock to start on the NHL club as #7, whether the team is healthy or not. If there's an injury to one of the 6 regulars to start, Hronek likely starts the season with the big club in a regular role. Once everyone is healthy, if he's making a measurable impact, they likely waive Frk or Witkowksi and carry 8 D. Otherwise, he would go back to GR until there's an opening and/or after the trade deadline.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When did the back problems begin with Zetterberg? Was there a hit or something? Or is it just wear and tear?
Sochi Olympics were basically the final straw. Reading some of the player accounts of his state inside the hotel room over there is heartbreaking.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
This might be legitimately the worst group in the NHL:

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha
Vanek-AA-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Abdelkader-Glendening-Frk/Helm

Dekeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Kr0nwall-Hronek
Jensen

Howard
Bernier

It's weird how no Z makes it look all that much worse.

If he is indeed done, I wish him a happy retirement.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
This might be legitimately the worst group in the NHL:

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha
Vanek-AA-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Abdelkader-Glendening-Frk/Helm

Dekeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Kr0nwall-Hronek
Jensen

Howard
Bernier

It's weird how no Z makes it look all that much worse.

If he is indeed done, I wish him a happy retirement.

True it's probably not a very good group. But I'd be WAY more excited than I have been in a long time to watch the team play. Throw Cholowski in there and I'm on cloud nine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad