Ansar Khan: Khan thinks Zetterbergs done. Zadina, Rasmussen and Hronek to make the season-opening roster

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Rasmussen seems to have great hand-eye coordination and thrive in front of the net. Something we have not had since Holmstrom.

Larkin appears to be a 1 or 2C, and Veleno probably a 3C. We really need another 1 or 2C. I don't think Rasmussen projects to fill that. Develop him at wing, with the idea he is going to be the net front person. Less responsibility and less chance of failure starting his career. Long term he is likely to end up there anyway.

I think Veleno will be a 2C. The guy can skate and can pass, and sees the ice well. He may not have the most dangerous release in the world, but I see him as a 50-60 point 2C, at least in his prime.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The more and more I read about Rasmussen, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually becomes our next captain to be honest. The dude is a leader through and through. I think they go with three A's this season and the next couple years after that Abby gets the 'C' (yuck) and then Ras gets the 'C' after that. Again, this is all my own uninformed opinion.

Dont think it will ever be Abdelkader. They'll go with all A's for at least a year and if Larkin is ready they'll give it to him. If Ras pans out as a good player though youre right, he has that leadership/work ethic vibe and plays in the hard areas. All things you want from a captain/alternate

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The more and more I read about Rasmussen, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually becomes our next captain to be honest. The dude is a leader through and through. I think they go with three A's this season and the next couple years after that Abby gets the 'C' (yuck) and then Ras gets the 'C' after that. Again, this is all my own uninformed opinion.

I think Larkin is in line because of the Michigan boy and new face of the franchise angles.

Reactions: 21 Savage

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
So we going with something like this on forward?

Filip ZadinaMichael RasmussenThomas VanekDarren Helm
Dylan LarkinFrans NielsenAndreas AthanasiouLuke Glendening
Gustav NyquistAnthony ManthaTyler BertuzziJustin Abdelkader
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

turkeyslurpees

Aug 26, 2018
Detroit

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That looks pretty solid to me. Anyone who has watched lots of Rasmussen think he'd be able to hold his own at the C position this year? Would love if he could get a few games there early in the season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That looks pretty solid to me. Anyone who has watched lots of Rasmussen think he'd be able to hold his own at the C position this year? Would love if he could get a few games there early in the season.

My guess is the first really rough night AA throws out there he shuffles to the middle. He is your change the lines play for Blash if that is the lineup in my opinion. It could work at stretches. But I think they want him mostly on the wing in year one, it worked with Larkin pretty well.

Reactions: turkeyslurpees

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
My guess is the first really rough night AA throws out there he shuffles to the middle. He is your change the lines play for Blash if that is the lineup in my opinion. It could work at stretches. But I think they want him mostly on the wing in year one, it worked with Larkin pretty well.

They did with Z, too. At the same time, Datsyuk started in the middle. As did pretty much all of the (really) old guard. I think there's too much concern for traumatizing these kids with a rough season. If the team has the depth and personnel where playing the wing makes sense, go for it. If the team looks better with him at center, I think he should be there.

I don't like the look of this team with AA or Helm at the 3C spot, and I think we have the depth to put two good wingers next to Rasmussen on that third line. Also, I think we're just going to back up the growing pains of playing center in the NHL if he doesn't get enough exposure to it this season.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
all of you are crazy

ras
zadina
veleno

all make this team instantly better. throw away the rookie bs. its 2018. teenagers have the ability to be better than most of what babyboomers think. plethora of examples in todays sports world to trust what an 18/19 year old can bring. theres reasons why mid 30's players are having a harder time finding icetime in todays NHL.

Zetterberg is a nice compliment, but he doesnt make them any better. prove me wrong vs arguing that having Z in lineup is somehow beneficial for this team going forward. goooood luck

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I literally don't care what anyone in this thread says, Zetterberg goes in the Hall of Fame and deserves to have his number retired. I'll fight any of y'all if you disagree with me.

Reactions: marcmadsen

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
all of you are crazy

ras
zadina
veleno

all make this team instantly better. throw away the rookie bs. its 2018. teenagers have the ability to be better than most of what babyboomers think. plethora of examples in todays sports world to trust what an 18/19 year old can bring. theres reasons why mid 30's players are having a harder time finding icetime in todays NHL.

Zetterberg is a nice compliment, but he doesnt make them any better. prove me wrong vs arguing that having Z in lineup is somehow beneficial for this team going forward. goooood luck

Veleno is DEFINITELY going to need time to develop. I'd like Rasmussen to stay down another year too, to better develop his offensive game, but he's definitely one of the 12 best forwards of this group now. Ditto for Zadina.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
all of you are crazy

ras
zadina
veleno

In my opinion this isn't the place for posts like this or saying they're glad Zetterberg is done. Z led the team in points (16-17) and then was 2nd last season. I agree it's been sad to watch him slowly regress (he's almost 39 for goodness sake), but to dismiss just the presence of a HOF, SC, Olympic Gold winning former superstar... that's crazy. Sure, I'd rather Ras, Zadina, and Veleno over Vanek, Witkowski, and Frk but to say the same about Zetterberg is silly. Also it's rare for an 18 or 19 year old to step into the league and dominate the way you're fantasizing. Veleno by all accounts isn't NHL ready. You think he can immediately usurp Glendening or even Turgeon?

I hope it's true what people are speculating, that Z goes LTIR instead of retirement. He could instruct and offer criticism from above. Having Z around in any fashion is nothing but beneficial.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
all of you are crazy

ras
zadina
veleno

There aren’t a ton of guys stepping into the NHL right out of the draft.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think Ras won't have too much trouble stepping into the third line center role. He is pretty big so he shouldn't be abused on draws. He can play net front on the pp.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I’d switch Gus and Mantha, but besides that, I like the look. That is actually a fairly decent forward core. If only we didn’t have a bottom 3-5 defense lol

Reactions: kliq

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It's a bummer that both z and dats are going to end up going out without a known last home game. Both these guys deserved a farewell salute. Makes me sad.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Seems like Zetterberg's time is up. One of my favourite players of the last 15 years but it's time to usher in a new era. So although it's sad to see him go, it also may mark the true transition point from the last era to the next. So it's a time to be excited about change

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If that is the forward group this season, I may actually make the 4 hour trip down to the Pizza Dough to check out a game.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I literally don't care what anyone in this thread says, Zetterberg goes in the Hall of Fame and deserves to have his number retired. I'll fight any of y'all if you disagree with me.

Zetterberg getting his number retired isn't even a debate. That's going to happen. However, it shouldn't come before Fedorov and management needs to bury that hatchet for good.

While I'm sure disappointing for both parties, I feel it's a blessing for both. Zetterberg has nothing to prove here or elsewhere and should concentrate on his future life. Easy for me to say but it's the truth. I always felt he just wanted to play the first season in the new arena anyhow.

As for the Wings, odds are they will be bad again and losing Zetterberg should only help them in that cause to rebuild.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Zetterberg getting his number retired isn't even a debate. That's going to happen. However, it shouldn't come before Fedorov and management needs to bury that hatchet for good.

While I'm sure disappointing for both parties, I feel it's a blessing for both. Zetterberg has nothing to prove here or elsewhere and should concentrate on his future life. Easy for me to say but it's the truth. I always felt he just wanted to play the first season in the new arena anyhow.

As for the Wings, odds are they will be bad again and losing Zetterberg should only help them in that cause to rebuild.

Management has nothing to do with that, the Fedorov deal is an Illitch decision.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If that is the forward group this season, I may actually make the 4 hour trip down to the Pizza Dough to check out a game.

Agreed, I'm really liking our forwards. Add in an elite C, and we are good for years to come with what we have/have in the system. Now lets just get that D where it needs to be!

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rasmussen No.1 C opening night in his first NHL game ever? Lol. The Nhl would investigate us blatantly tanking.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Rasmussen No.1 C opening night in his first NHL game ever? Lol. The Nhl would investigate us blatantly tanking.
His chart is set up kinda wonky, the lines are in columns, not rows. Zadina-Larkin-Nyquist is listed as first line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad