Ansar Khan: Khan thinks Zetterbergs done. Zadina, Rasmussen and Hronek to make the season-opening roster

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This might be legitimately the worst group in the NHL:

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha
Vanek-AA-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Abdelkader-Glendening-Frk/Helm

Dekeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Kr0nwall-Hronek
Jensen

Howard
Bernier

It's weird how no Z makes it look all that much worse.

If he is indeed done, I wish him a happy retirement.
That's only because of the D core. I don't mind this forward group at all. (for being a rebuilding team) Zetterberg playing just means Zadina or Ras isn't playing.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha
Vanek-AA-Zadina

Dekeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Kr0nwall-Hronek
Jensen

Howard
Bernier

Forwards are fine, Agree that the D is atrocious.

Reactions: StargateSG1

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha
Vanek-AA-Zadina

Dekeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Kr0nwall-Hronek
Jensen

Howard
Bernier

AA couldn't cut it as a 2nd line winger, putting him as second line center is a joke. Better to have a center depth chart of Larkin, Nielsen, Helm, LGD.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
AA couldn't cut it as a 2nd line winger, putting him as second line center is a joke. Better to have a center depth chart of Larkin, Nielsen, Helm, LGD.

I completely understand all the criticism towards AA, and most of it is deserved. He lacks consistency, he lacks a complete 2-way game, and at times he tries to do too much on his own. There is no denying his skills though. He has the speed, he has the hands, he has the shot. This is a big year for AA, and I fully believe he is going to show up this year. I don't think 50 points this year is all that far fetched, assuming he gets the minutes

If we do give him minutes this year, an he still doesn't produce, then I'd move on. I'm willing to give him one more chance though, and I think he will silence his critics.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Mantha Larkin Zadina
Nyquist Nielsen Athanasiou
Bertuzzi Helm Vanek
Abdelkader Glendening Rasmussen
Frk Witkowski

Dekeyser Green
Daley Hronek
Ericsson Kronwall
Jensen

Howard
Bernier

This would be my opening night roster. Svech first call-up at wing, Turgeon first center called up. Sulak first call up on D. Also, Ras will move up the lineup with an injury in the top 9.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha
Vanek-AA-Zadina

Dekeyser-Daley
Ericsson-Green
Kr0nwall-Hronek
Jensen

Howard
Bernier

Weird how making really bad line combos make it look worse.

Mantha-Larkin-Zadina
Nyquist-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Vanek-AA-Bertuzzi
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm

Dekeyser-Green
Ericsson-Hronek
Kronwall-Daley

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Mantha-Larkin-Zadina
Vanek-AA-Bertuzzi

Dekeyser-Green
Ericsson-Hronek
Kronwall-Daley

You shuffled the deck chairs on the Titanic.

This roster, on paper right now, is awful. It would be a major surprise to everyone around the NHL if this wasn't a bottom 3 team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Mantha-Larkin-Zadina
Vanek-AA-Bertuzzi

Dekeyser-Green
Ericsson-Hronek
Kronwall-Daley

Zadina on line 1? Abby and Helm on line 4? Seems very unlikely to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I still think if Z is done he outright retires as apposed to going the Franzen route on LTIR.

I have a feeling that's why there's been such a cloud of mystery surrounding Z and the decision he'll eventually have to make.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha
Vanek-AA-Zadina
As we suspected, although if it allows more youngsters to gain valuable experience & playing time, it'll be worth it.

We've all had to endure this team being not even mediocre for the last 3 or 4 seasons, 1 more won't hurt if it helps in the long run. Granted, we also have to get something that resembles an actual Defense, but one step at a time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zetterberg's recapture penalty would be 4.300001M if he retires.

Then we could think that Zadina comes in and plays on Zetterberg's roster spot, and Zadina will cost his own caphit 925k + Zetterberg 4.3M recapture = 5.225M.

So Zadina + recapture would be cheaper than Zetterberg himself in total, and this Zetterberg recapture would last for 3 years, same as Zadina's ELC. After 3 years, Zadina would get his extension and cap effects could be at same level with 5-6M contract.

That's a scenario.

But my gut feeling is LTIRetirement. Don't think we'll see that recapture. Guy is injured and can't play because of an injury. Why not go and use LTIR ?

Player would still get money 3.35M + 1.0M + 1.0M = total 5.35M and team would get cap help. The situation benefits both sides, so imo, LTIR way is a no-brainer.

Reactions: 14ari13

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
At this point he needs to quit, if you have never had back problems don't say a thing this guy is a warrior for playing threw it as long as he has. I wish him nothing but the best.

Reactions: odin1981

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Reading the tea leaves from the various insiders around the team, it would appear that if Hronek is ready and nobody is hurt in training camp that Jensen will be dealt. I expect Daley to be dealt at the deadline and Cholowski, Sulak or Hicketts to come up then.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Zadina-Nielsen-Nyquist
Vanek-Rasmussen-AA
Abby-Glenny-Helm

I'd like watching this lineup a lot, I think

I thought Vanek was signed to play with AA. But I am not sure where the lines go with no Z.

I have seen the Vanek - Helm - Nyquist line thrown out from some of our beat writers. That is probably the last time I was happy with Darren Helm. I could see that being the third line. I still think Zadina will start the year in the AHL, if he blows the doors off down there he will be up quickly though. I also don't really expect us to make it out of training camp and the pre-season with everyone healthy. It isn't really that normal for it to happen.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I thought Vanek was signed to play with AA. But I am not sure where the lines go with no Z.

I have seen the Vanek - Helm - Nyquist line thrown out from some of our beat writers. That is probably the last time I was happy with Darren Helm. I could see that being the third line. I still think Zadina will start the year in the AHL, if he blows the doors off down there he will be up quickly though. I also don't really expect us to make it out of training camp and the pre-season with everyone healthy. It isn't really that normal for it to happen.

If they can work some magic again that'd be great, but I honestly just didn't like putting Helmer in a top 9 spot especially with Abby on line 4. Zadina could stay in GR if Helm is becoming 3C again and we have no other injuries, unless we drop Bert down to the 4th line (which I highly doubt), there just isn't a really a top 9 spot there with all things staying the same, but if AA or Rasmussen is the 3C, it opens up a spot.

But I don't see AA as a center and I don't think Rasmussen will get the job, unless he balls outrageous at C in preseason.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If they can work some magic again that'd be great, but I honestly just didn't like putting Helmer in a top 9 spot especially with Abby on line 4. Zadina could stay in GR if Helm is becoming 3C again and we have no other injuries, unless we drop Bert down to the 4th line (which I highly doubt), there just isn't a really a top 9 spot there with all things staying the same, but if AA or Rasmussen is the 3C, it opens up a spot.

But I don't see AA as a center and I don't think Rasmussen will get the job, unless he balls outrageous at C in preseason.

I want that to be our fourth line, I just am not convinced it will be.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Honestly, I can see a midseason comeback just to get a proper farewell IFFFFF and a big iff he says he's done and the DRW don't do some awesome ceremony/honor before game 1.

If Z is done...

Mantha-Larkin-Bert
Nyquist-Frans-Rasmussen
Vanek-AA-Abby
Helm-Glenny-Who cares

I want to see Ras get a chance to play on a top 6 line and get some puck possession and garbage goals. Playing on a bottom 6 line I don't like that, I don't want this whole defensive minded forward mantra. He's a big boy, get him to the friggen net! Bertuzzi is such a smart player, I think he can keep contributing on a 1st/2nd line.

AA can get his shot at center but without getting wrecked playing 2C. Keep Vanek with him. I wish we had a better winger than Abby there, but so be it. Even Helm there maybe. Or add Abby to W1 and put Bert 3W but I think Bert is the kind of guy who THRIVES playing with good players (like he did with guys like Z and Larkin this season). I think it'd stunt his development to move him back.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Honestly, I can see a midseason comeback just to get a proper farewell IFFFFF and a big iff he says he's done and the DRW don't do some awesome ceremony/honor before game 1.

If Z is done...

Mantha-Larkin-Bert
Nyquist-Frans-Rasmussen
Vanek-AA-Abby
Helm-Glenny-Who cares

I want to see Ras get a chance to play on a top 6 line and get some puck possession and garbage goals. Playing on a bottom 6 line I don't like that, I don't want this whole defensive minded forward mantra. He's a big boy, get him to the friggen net! Bertuzzi is such a smart player, I think he can keep contributing on a 1st/2nd line.

AA can get his shot at center but without getting wrecked playing 2C. Keep Vanek with him. I wish we had a better winger than Abby there, but so be it. Even Helm there maybe. Or add Abby to W1 and put Bert 3W but I think Bert is the kind of guy who THRIVES playing with good players (like he did with guys like Z and Larkin this season). I think it'd stunt his development to move him back.
I'd like to think Zadina will be playing if Z is done.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha
Rasmussen-Nielsen-AA
Bertuzzi-Helm-Vanek
Abby-Glendening-Frk

Dekeyser-Green
Ericsson-Daley
Kronwall-Hronek

I think this is pretty close. I just don’t see Zadina starting the season in Detroit as much as I’d like him to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad