Ansar Khan: Khan thinks Zetterbergs done. Zadina, Rasmussen and Hronek to make the season-opening roster

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I'm not certain Detroit is going to continue to spend to the cap, so LTIR space may not be that much of a deal.

Holland's head will be hitting the cap ceiling for several more years until we out live most of these contracts.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
We will be over the cap again next year until LTIR is used. Might be even the following year. It won't be just this year.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Holland's head will be hitting the cap ceiling for several more years until we out live most of these contracts.

We will be over the cap again next year until LTIR is used. Might be even the following year. It won't be just this year.

If all of Zadina/Rasmussen/Hronek/Cholo/Svech are up next year, we're looking at about $20M in space to sign 2 players and a goalie, and that's not counting LTIR relief.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In the next 2 off season we have like 25 mill coming off the books you do know this right?
Which historically has been matched by new rounds of veteran free agents to bring the team right back to the cap. I would like to think that there is enough promising youth during this iteration to curtail that trend, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: StargateSG1

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Historically we didn't have 4 under 21 players competing for spots heading into a season, either

Side note: anyone see that picture in the Cholowski article Custance put out today? Crazy how different he looks physically.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Posted on the main board - which is really disgusting btw. Zäta: ”Det vore bittert att behöva sluta nu” Z says he has no discs (or insulation) between his vertebrae which they discovered after an MRI. But he hasn't given up and basically says the only thing he wants is to play in the PO for the first time in the new arena. Had to chose between playing limited minutes last season or not train at all during the last months. He chose to play. He hasn't given up and will see what happens with his rehab. Probably won't start the season but he refuses to end his career as a RW on a bitter note. RW management has been aware of the issue for a lot longer than most people know.

Kronwall was interviewed a couple of weeks ago about Z Kronwall om Zetterbergs helvete: ”Fysiskt omöjligt” Where he said that what Z has done isn't physically possible and if people only knew the hell he's been through. That he doesn't only lead on the ice but that he's incredibly important in the dressing room, showing all the young guys just how a pro behaves. And that playing all the games despite his back shows just what a warrior he is and that the team really wants him back.

Lids retired on his own terms because he felt he couldn't play up to his own elevated expectations, Dats retired from the NHL because he wanted to go back to Russia where he seems quite content playing in the KHL and captaining Russias olympic team. Only Zetterberg remains, playing through agony because, well, he's the captain of the DRW and he refuses to give up. Even if by some miracle he plays this coming season, just watching him get checked into the boards, going into corners and fighting through traffic I'll wince knowing about his back. Either LTIR him or play him very, very limited minutes and rest him some games.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Side note: anyone see that picture in the Cholowski article Custance put out today? Crazy how different he looks physically.

082718-AMF-097-side-by-side.jpg

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
To reply to the pair of you:

Phoenix had to pay Datsyuk's cap number dollar for dollar... meaning, of course, that his 7.5 mil cap hit was paired with a 7.5 mil salary.

The difference here is that Zetterberg's 6 mil cap hit each of the next three years is paired with a 3.35, 1 and 1 mil salary. So, yes, strictly speaking we're talking about relatively similar events but in terms of actual dollars at play we aren't talking about the same thing at all. A team looking to slip by the floor on the cheap can spend 5.35 million over three years and buy themselves 18 mil in cap space. In real terms they can save themselves over 12 million bucks by trading for Z.

All he has to do to secure the "value" here is not retire out from under the team that acquires him.

So, as I've not seen a situation like this crop up before, these being some of the first step down deals to age out, I was curious what a team might be willing to part with asset-wise to save real money.

The Coyotes didn't pay a cent. Datsyuk retired and left a 7.5M cap hit on their books because it was an age 35+ contract.....but the Coyotes didn't actually pay him anything.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Wrong. The Wings currently have ~62M committed on their cap next season with at least a 79.5M salary cap. That included both Zetterberg and Franzen's cap hits. They will have like ~17M+ in cap space before putting Z or Franzen on LTIR.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think they were about $500,000 under (total cap ~$62,500,000 less Dats $7.5 million and the $2.1 mil for IR that they paid during the year.
Arizona Coyotes 2016 Salary Cap

capfriendly had them at way over, seems like spotrac outright excludes LTIR guys (bolland and pronger) and it doesn't work that way plus it seems like spotrac doesn't have a guy like ryan white there. however, pronger was just cap dump and i can't recall if it was known that bolland was done when florida traded him to arizona. if it was, they were slightly under.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
capfriendly had them at way over, seems like spotrac outright excludes LTIR guys (bolland and pronger) and it doesn't work that way plus it seems like spotrac doesn't have a guy like ryan white there. however, pronger was just cap dump and i can't recall if it was known that bolland was done when florida traded him to arizona. if it was, they were slightly under.
From the yotes side, they basically moved up 4 spots which cost them their 1st & 2nd. Dats' contract didn't cost a dime but put them over the floor with wiggle room. good for both teams

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Historically we didn't have 4 under 21 players competing for spots heading into a season, either

The pictures still make him look on the thinner side. He still could use another 20 pounds of muscle on his frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad