Recalled/Assigned: Khaira and Puljujärvi on IR, Josh Currie recalled

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Don't be so pessimistic, Number One.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Oilhawks and Cloned

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Yeah, the team probably wants to avoid the optics of a "JP refused assignment, team suspends him" situation.

Kinda of what i'm thinking.

The last thing the team needs is more drama, especially in the media.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'd do Puljujarvi for Necas every day of the week. They would never do that trade though

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
If JP gets traded I'll be pissed. The oilers have nobody else to blame for his current status but themselves. They have not been able to consistently develop prospects, and this case is no different.

The situation of JP's agent mouthing off isn't great, but again it's their fault. If they actually managed the player properly this wouldn't have happened.

Again, the novice management group need to go. I don't care how many team canada wins or stanley cup rings they have. They are all idiots that don't know what they are doing. I'm sure if Katz hired HFoil to be GM of the team we would have done a better job. Honestly. We could just vote on all management decisions using the poll function and would have created a more successful team than these idiots.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That who immediately came to my mind when you brought up the advisory role. It's more of a "thank you for your service" than any serious role in the organization.
Hopefully, he's swept out with the rest of them at the end of the season and by rest of them I mean MacT, Howson and their pro scout staff, I know that Lowe and W. Gretzky are lifers.

Yup, IIRC Quinn was actually somewhat pissed at that move too, lol.

btw, I think there are "tiers" of OBC here (Lowe would be proud!):

Tier 1A: Lowe, Wayne, Nicholson

Tier 1B: MacT, Keith

Tier 2: Howson, Paul Messier

Tier 3: Sutter

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Oilers’ management re-iterates, that at this time, Jesse Puljujarvi will not be going to AHL Bakersfield.
— John Shannon (@JSportsnet) February 18, 2019

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the biggest news there is that Sekera is back. If he's really better than last time he returned from injury it could be a big positive

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
My prediction is Hitch gets shuffled off into an advisory role in March and they name GG interim head coach.

Maybe he'll throw another stick into the seats during practice.

-Throw a stick
-Hits Lucic
-LTIR for good

Reactions: Cloned

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yup, IIRC Quinn was actually somewhat pissed at that move too, lol.

btw, I think there are "tiers" of OBC here (Lowe would be proud!):

Tier 1A: Lowe, Wayne, Nicholson

Tier 1B: MacT, Keith

Tier 2: Howson, Paul Messier

Tier 3: Sutter

MacT and Howson are a package deal IMO, when one goes so will the other mainly because MacT vouches for him not because Katz sees them as equals. I doubt MacT gets fired but maybe he'll get reassigned to the business side best case scenario if the new GM had the balls to say "I don't want these guys forced on me, I want to bring in my own guys or I'm looking elsewhere".
Nicholson is definitely not in that top tier, I could see him being the fall guy if Katz got REALLY pissed. Lowe and Gretzky are here as long as they want to be, they are at the summit of all the Wine Summits.

I'd add one more....
Tier 85: Fans

Reactions: Cloned

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
MacT and Howson are a package deal IMO, when one goes so will the other mainly because MacT vouches for him not because Katz sees them as equals. I doubt MacT gets fired but maybe he'll get reassigned to the business side best case scenario if the new GM had the balls to say "I don't want these guys forced on me, I want to bring in my own guys or I'm looking elsewhere".
Nicholson is definitely not in that top tier, I could see him being the fall guy if Katz got REALLY pissed. Lowe and Gretzky are here as long as they want to be, they are at the summit of all the Wine Summits.

I'd add one more....
Tier 85: Fans
MacTavish getting shuffled to the business side will end in Katz declaring bankruptcy.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
:laugh: losing in Edmonton isn't enough, Oilers now trying thier best to stop the Condors win streak. Your part of the Oilers organization....enough of the streak ! Get Currie out of there now !

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
:laugh: losing in Edmonton isn't enough, Oilers now trying thier best to stop the Condors win streak. Your part of the Oilers organization....enough of the streak ! Get Currie out of there now !
They could give Currie two games in the NHL while not missing an AHL game

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
If JP gets traded I'll be pissed. The oilers have nobody else to blame for his current status but themselves. They have not been able to consistently develop prospects, and this case is no different.

The situation of JP's agent mouthing off isn't great, but again it's their fault. If they actually managed the player properly this wouldn't have happened.

Again, the novice management group need to go. I don't care how many team canada wins or stanley cup rings they have. They are all idiots that don't know what they are doing. I'm sure if Katz hired HFoil to be GM of the team we would have done a better job. Honestly. We could just vote on all management decisions using the poll function and would have created a more successful team than these idiots.

I think you're right, but.... Puljujarvi knew when he was 15 or 16 they're might be a possibility of him going to North America to play. So he had a couple years to learn English and he didn't. Its unfortunate but it's water under the bridge.

I still want to see him on the PP1 bombing shots. And keep him there till the end of the year. You know, give him experience or something like that. Grrrrr... this team sometimes!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I am not very familiar with Necas...what can you share?

Plus: Necas has blazing speed and is able to make plays at speed which is a huge plus. He's more of a playmaker than a scorer, and seems to have some good smarts, but he can score also. If he gets a little time and space, he makes plays.
Minus: His body is still not ready for the NHL IMO. There were reports he came to camp at 6'2", 189 lbs, but he still looked paper thin when I saw him at the start of this year. He gets knocked down/falls down a lot for such a good skater. Like a lot of young guys, his 2 way game isn't there yet, but some of that might be his lack of size/strength.

That said, he is reportedly a very hard worker. He did work his ass off to gain strength back home and would make a 320 km trip (each way) three times a week to train with a strength trainer before Brno offered to bring his trainer to where the team was located. He had a very slow start in the AHL but then started to turn it on after returning from the WJC. Overall, 31 points in 45 games after such a slow start for a guy that just turned 20 and is in his first season in NA isn't too shabby.

I'll never say never (particularly with the Canes GM), but I would be kind of shocked if the Canes moved Necas for Puljujarvi. They are very high on him. He's got speed, skill, is a center (a position of need in Carolina), is a good character guy and works hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I think you're right, but.... Puljujarvi knew when he was 15 or 16 they're might be a possibility of him going to North America to play. So he had a couple years to learn English and he didn't. Its unfortunate but it's water under the bridge.

I still want to see him on the PP1 bombing shots. And keep him there till the end of the year. You know, give him experience or something like that. Grrrrr... this team sometimes!

While I agree he could've done a better job with learning English at 15 or 16, he did say he studied every day in Edmonton. This hasn't been written about here, but I read that somewhere and could probably dig it if needed.

But this is not why I started to write, it's Pulju's adjustment to the Oilers. While he probably needs to take a look into the mirror, too, he's been just a kid a long way from home and I'm not sure the Oilers did a perfect job with helping him enough. It's a shame they traded away all three players that were closer with him (Jokinen, Strome, Caggiula).

Besides throwing him between different lines, another thing that bothers me is the PP usage. I think he'd really really really needed to have a proper chance on his own place. I know that bothered him and I can't blame him for that. Of course there are things that we don't know about (like things at the team practises), but the coaches broke their promises (or at least plans they stated aloud) a couple of times. First TM last year, then Hitch this season.

Then again, I admit I don't know what's been going on in the background, but this whole thing is a shame anyway, and there's no one single person or party to blame.

Last edited:

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010

His issues aren't purely related to him not speaking English well. I think we can all agree that this organization mis-managed him from day 1.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad