Recalled/Assigned: Khaira and Puljujärvi on IR, Josh Currie recalled

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think you can see it because you want to see it. :)

Seriously though, I think the whole "good friends" thing is overblown, and certainly shouldn't mean a team makes a trade because of it. This is the same rationale people were using to try and convince fans that the Canes would select Zadina over Svechnikov because of his synergy/relationship with Necas.

If Carolina thinks Puljujarvi is more valuable, when taking everything into account, then they'd likely consider it. Like I said, I'll never say never, but would be very surprised if the Canes moved Necas. By all reports, they are very high on him.

I think Jesse will remain in Edmonton anyhow.
It's not that I think it would happen but if it did I wouldn't be surprised either really.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

This is what happens when we give guys like Lucic opportunities in the top 6 and 1st PP. We have guys like Puljujarvi who suddenly think they are good enough for the top 6 and 1st PP. While in reality, he should be down in the AHL working on his game

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I really REALLY hope not, but knowing this ****show franchise, it's unfortunately very likely that's exactly what's gonna happen.
Gretzky saved the Oilers in the 1980s.
Gretzky will now save us again. REBORN

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
There are signs that both sides have soured on each other. Especially with his agent mouthing of recently.
Call it...reading the tea leaves. :D
Anyone have a link for what the agent said?

When I saw these guys were out on IR my first thought was they're two guys the Oilers are not planning to trade, so no point in showcasing them. Of course it's more likely they're actually just injured. Now I'm reading there's all this drama with JPs agent. Personally I think the 4th line has been a good place for him at this point in the season. Seems overwhelmed when playing higher in the lineup, which I assume is from facing tougher competition. 4th line he gets away from that and can just play his game and has usually looked fine in that role.

I want to see them bring him back on a cheap 2-3 year deal. He'd be a low cap hit winger with high upside, exactly what we need right now.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Now that I've posted a couple of posts after a break I'll write one more message about Jesse, then I'll probably just step aside again and wait to see what happens.

Staples and McCurdy talked about Puljujarvi and as there are different views I hope I don't stir things too much. I couldn't find the original English quotes very easily so here's a quick direct translation from a Finnish evening paper Iltalehti (so it's English->Finnish->English which is never optimal, but I tried to be accurate myself):

Staples:

- There hasn't been any kind of consistency in how the Oilers are handling Puljujarvi.

The player Puljujarvi has played the most with is Milan Lucic, who's currently known as a bonebreaker. According to Staples they've played together for 674 minutes.

- Did they really think it would work? Did they think that the best linemate for their top prospect would be a player who doesn't get anything done in the offensive zone?

- I just don't get it at all. Puljujarvi plays fast hockey. He gives quick passes, he wants to move fast, but he's played with this slow-footed Lucic. It's a terrible idea!

- This is a player who's got unique skills. He knows how to pass and how to shoot, but he doesn't get any PP time. Not even on the 2nd unit.

- And now they're sending this player away before they've even given him a chance to do what he does the best, which is being on the left side on the 1st PP unit. They haven't even tried him there! Still they're throwing him away.

Staples certainly isn't alone with the opinion that the whole management from the GM to the coach should be changed.

- Then let's see how Puljujarvi will do when there are new, reliable people around him.

McCurdy:

- They don't have any plan. They never did. All scouts said he's ready for the NHL at the age of 18, but when it didn't work out there wasn't a plan B.

- I don't think this guy is a new Yakupov. He is better than Yakupov. He is much bigger and he moves better on the ice.

Staples:

- It's about confidence and strength. They go together. You get more confidence and strength by age.

- If the options are the 4th line or the AHL the latter is better.

Eihän tässä ole mitään järkeä! Oilers sijoitti Jesse Puljujärveen kymmeniä miljoonia - seura harkitsee silti vetävänsä suomalaisen pöntöstä alas: ”En ymmärrä alkuunkaan”

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Now that I've posted a couple of posts after a break I'll write one more message about Jesse, then I'll probably just step aside again and wait to see what happens.

Staples and McCurdy talked about Puljujarvi and as there are different views I hope I don't stir things too much. I couldn't find the original English quotes very easily so here's a quick direct translation from a Finnish evening paper Iltalehti (so it's English->Finnish->English which is never optimal, but I tried to be accurate myself):

Staples:

- There hasn't been any kind of consistency in how the Oilers are handling Puljujarvi.

The player Puljujarvi has played the most with is Milan Lucic, who's currently known as a bonebreaker. According to Staples they've played together for 674 minutes.

- Did they really think it would work? Did they think that the best linemate for their top prospect would be a player who doesn't get anything done in the offensive zone?

- I just don't get it at all. Puljujarvi plays fast hockey. He gives quick passes, he wants to move fast, but he's played with this slow-footed Lucic. It's a terrible idea!

- This is a player who's got unique skills. He knows how to pass and how to shoot, but he doesn't get any PP time. Not even on the 2nd unit.

- And now they're sending this player away before they've even given him a chance to do what he does the best, which is being on the left side on the 1st PP unit. They haven't even tried him there! Still they're throwing him away.

Staples certainly isn't alone with the opinion that the whole management from the GM to the coach should be changed.

- Then let's see how Puljujarvi will do when there are new, reliable people around him.

McCurdy:

- They don't have any plan. They never did. All scouts said he's ready for the NHL at the age of 18, but when it didn't work out there wasn't a plan B.

- I don't think this guy is a new Yakupov. He is better than Yakupov. He is much bigger and he moves better on the ice.

Staples:

- It's about confidence and strength. They go together. You get more confidence and strength by age.

- If the options are the 4th line or the AHL the latter is better.

Eihän tässä ole mitään järkeä! Oilers sijoitti Jesse Puljujärveen kymmeniä miljoonia - seura harkitsee silti vetävänsä suomalaisen pöntöstä alas: ”En ymmärrä alkuunkaan”
This has been discussed tons.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

When I saw these guys were out on IR my first thought was they're two guys the Oilers are not planning to trade, so no point in showcasing them. Of course it's more likely they're actually just injured. Now I'm reading there's all this drama with JPs agent. Personally I think the 4th line has been a good place for him at this point in the season. Seems overwhelmed when playing higher in the lineup, which I assume is from facing tougher competition. 4th line he gets away from that and can just play his game and has usually looked fine in that role.

I want to see them bring him back on a cheap 2-3 year deal. He'd be a low cap hit winger with high upside, exactly what we need right now.

Unfortunately I dont have a link (I heard an audio clip on one of the sports shows) but essentially his agent blathered on about how Jesse should be in the top 6 on the Oilers but that if the Oilers sent him down Jesse would be on the 4th line. So he doesnt think that jesse should be sent down.
Clearly he didnt think these comments through because they made no sense at all.
If this dim bulb is giving Jesse advice its little wonder Jesse is so confused.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Do you mean this (translated quickly by myself from 3 articles):

- Of course we'd like him to play 15-16 minutes per game, to get a bit of PP time. Many other forwards get responsibility and thus get to the rhythm.

- It's a bit of a problem, but I won't start acting I'm a coach or a GM.

- I think it's difficult to start this over. Jesse has already been in the AHL. The plan was great, but then things changed.

- When the player doesn't trust... do they really want me here? Do they believe I will be a top6 player? A top9 player? An offensive player? The player is uncertain.

- It's a part of the agenda that teams go things through with agents. It's more that we have talked about what's best for Jesse's future. Is this the right time to trade a young player, I don't know.

- I'm still absolutely convinced that Puljujarvi is a 20-30 goal scorer for this league. Is it in Edmonton, that's what we've been tossing about.

- My own opinion is that if Jesse could play 10 games in the same line with 15-17 minutes per game, and a bit of PP time, he would bring results just like the other wingers there. AHL is a league, which doesn't necessarily have much to give to Jesse anymore.

- Have we reached the point where it's better for the player and the team to part ways (*shrugs*)?

Agentilta paljonpuhuvia kommentteja Jesse Puljujärven tulevaisuudesta – "Tätä on vaikea aloittaa alusta"

Jesse Puljujärven suomalaisagentilta kovaa tekstiä - ehdottaa kylmästi siirtoa Edmontonille: ”Olemmeko saavuttamassa sen pisteen?”

Yle: Jesse Puljujärven kauppa lähenee? Agentti ei kiistä mahdollista treidiä

Reactions: Cypress

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
JP should have stayed down with the Condors in November. The new coach wanted to show he was smarter than everyone else though.

He averaged 12:00 per game under McLellan this season. Hitchcock is playing him 11:56/game. Brilliant.

Edit: last season his average TOI was 13:22.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Do you mean this (translated quickly by myself from 3 articles):

- Of course we'd like him to play 15-16 minutes per game, to get a bit of PP time. Many other forwards get responsibility and thus get to the rhythm.

- It's a bit of a problem, but I won't start acting I'm a coach or a GM.

- I think it's difficult to start this over. Jesse has already been in the AHL. The plan was great, but then things changed.

- When the player doesn't trust... do they really want me here? Do they believe I will be a top6 player? A top9 player? An offensive player? The player is uncertain.

- It's a part of the agenda that teams go things through with agents. It's more that we have talked about what's best for Jesse's future. Is this the right time to trade a young player, I don't know.

- I'm still absolutely convinced that Puljujarvi is a 20-30 goal scorer for this league. Is it in Edmonton, that's what we've been tossing about.

- My own opinion is that if Jesse could play 10 games in the same line with 15-17 minutes per game, and a bit of PP time, he would bring results just like the other wingers there. AHL is a league, which doesn't necessarily have much to give to Jesse anymore.

- Have we reached the point where it's better for the player and the team to part ways (*shrugs*)?

Agentilta paljonpuhuvia kommentteja Jesse Puljujärven tulevaisuudesta – "Tätä on vaikea aloittaa alusta"

Jesse Puljujärven suomalaisagentilta kovaa tekstiä - ehdottaa kylmästi siirtoa Edmontonille: ”Olemmeko saavuttamassa sen pisteen?”

Yle: Jesse Puljujärven kauppa lähenee? Agentti ei kiistä mahdollista treidiä
If the AHL is a league that doesn't have much to give Pulju anymore than he wouldn't be an average 4th liner. Pulju isn't even a GOOD 4th liner when he is on it.

I get his agent trying to hype his player but he has a lot to learn still and the NHL isn't a development league.

Ps: him saying JP would bring similar results to the other wingers getting that time isn't really a positive. The wingers are doing absolutely nothing so if that's what he thinks JP can bring then...woof

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Beta male Oilers?

Send him down.

Beta males are apparently all the rage these days and these eunuchs also apparently need to be policing other males so we all fall in line.
Just watch the latest nauseating and race baiting Gillette commercial.

Anyway...went off on a tangent there. :laugh:

So we agree...stop being scared of the agent and potentially hurting Jesses hypersensitive feelings and just send him down and deal with the fallout.
Have some balls. :nod:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Beta males are apparently all the rage these days and these eunuchs also apparently need to be policing other males so we all fall in line.
Just watch the latest nauseating and race baiting Gillette commercial.

Anyway...went off on a tangent there. :laugh:

So we agree...stop being scared of the agent and potentially hurting Jesses hypersensitive feelings and just send him down and deal with the fallout. :nod:

I'd take beta male Oilers over this toxic Oilerlinity that's been pervasive over the last decade. ;)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'd take beta male Oilers over this toxic Oilerlinity that's been pervasive over the last decade. ;)

If those are the only 2 choices then I am out. :nod:

There is a very slim margin between the stupidity of Political correctness and the stupidity shown by the Oilers over the last 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad