Recalled/Assigned: Khaira and Puljujärvi on IR, Josh Currie recalled

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'm just speculating, but maybe Puljujarvi might be refusing to go down to the AHL. With recent agent interactions it doesn't seem too far off.

Possibly he did get hurt and that's why he missed last game though.

Reactions: guymez

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I'm just speculating, but maybe Puljujarvi might be refusing to go down to the AHL. With recent agent interactions it doesn't seem too far off.

Possibly he did get hurt and that's why he missed last game though.

I don't think you can put him on IR because he refuses to be sent down though. He has to have a legit injury of some sort.

Reactions: nturn06

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There are signs that both sides have soured on each other. Especially with his agent mouthing of recently.
Call it...reading the tea leaves. :D
Maybe it's something like Necas for Puljujarvi, I like Necas, but he hasn't done much in the minors for Carolina.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He's another crony and a crony who is well past his expiration date. The team losing is a blessing in disguise to remove any notion of bringing him back next season.

Well thankfully Craig Simpson was quoted as saying the Oilers have no intention to bring him back in a coaching role beyond this season. Good riddance.

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
Not 100% sure but I’m fairly certain you need medical authorization to put a player on IR, you can’t just decide to stick someone there to get them off the roster.

If the boys are on IR, they’re legitimately hurt. Bakersfield doesn’t play until Friday so there’s no rush to send him down.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Would a healthy scratch not accomplish the same thing? Also doesn't he have to have a medically valid reason for IR?

Im thinking he just hurt himself in practice or off ice. Maybe it's minor and they have a trade lined up so they're using the IR to allow Currie to come up, but couldn't he have come up anyways with Khaira on IR and Manning being re assigned?

I believe that putting a player on IR has different roster implications than simply scratching a player. I think this provided the opportunity to call up Currie. If Jesse was just scratched for the purposes of sending him down I dont think they would have been able to do that.
Also...it may look a little better if the player is believed to be a little banged up as opposed to being scratched and demoted for not performing. Additionally Jesse may not want to report.

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I don't think you can put him on IR because he refuses to be sent down though. He has to have a legit injury of some sort.

Sure he has a "upper body/ lower body" injury. Team training/medical staff are employed by the team and not the league.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
And he can’t refuse to go down. If he did the oilers would be able to suspend him. He doesn’t have a choice in the matter.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well thankfully Craig Simpson was quoted as saying the Oilers have no intention to bring him back in a coaching role beyond this season. Good riddance.

I think that's a given at this point. The question is whether or not he resigns before the end of the season.
This team needs some positive vibes in the worst way to close the season so the sooner a younger, more positive voice takes on the head coach role the better (like what Nelson did for them).

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I believe that putting a player on IR has different roster implications than simply scratching a player. I think this provided the opportunity to call up Currie. If Jesse was just scratched I dont think they would have been able to do that.
Also...it may look a little better if the player is believed to be a little banged up as opposed to being scratched for not performing.

I can understand it looking better, but as for the first part, with Manning going down, it made space for sekera, so Khaira on IR would have made space for Currie.

It doesn't seem like they have a good reason to IR him unless he's got a legitimate injury as far as I can tell.

Who knows though.

Reactions: nturn06

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think that's a given at it this point. The question is whether or not he resigns before the end of the season.
This team needs some positive vibes in the worst way to close the season so the sooner a younger, more positive voice takes on the head coach role the better (like what Nelson did for them).

My prediction is Hitch gets shuffled off into an advisory role in March and they name GG interim head coach.

Maybe he'll throw another stick into the seats during practice.

Reactions: Zaddy and Faelko

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I can understand it looking better, but as for the first part, with Manning going down, it made space for sekera, so Khaira on IR would have made space for Currie.

It doesn't seem like they have a good reason to IR him unless he's got a legitimate injury as far as I can tell.

Who knows though.

I have heard that the Khaira situation is very temporary. A couple of games.
As @48g90a138pts pointed out...this might be a way around Jesse not agreeing to report to Bakersfield.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have heard that the Khaira situation is very temporary. A couple of games.
As @48g90a138pts pointed out...this might be a way around Jesse not agreeing to report to Bakersfield.

Yeah, the team probably wants to avoid the optics of a "JP refused assignment, team suspends him" situation.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They did it with Pat Quinn too, so there is precedent for it.

That's who immediately came to my mind when you brought up the advisory role. It's more of a "thank you for your service" than any serious role in the organization.

Hopefully, he's swept out with the rest of them at the end of the season and by rest of them I mean MacT, Howson and their pro scout staff, I know that Lowe and W. Gretzky are lifers. It's likely false hope but life as an Oiler fan is perpetually filled with false hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad