Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes 5: signs 7 years, $50M

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Its also madness to think that the flyers haven't had some preliminary discussions with Panarin in gauging if he was interested in joining. My thoughts are that he wasn't, is going to get a huge offer in FA that we can't match, so Fletch went for Hayes.

Again, Hayes might not be a superstar but we don't need one. We just need a reliable 2c with decent defense.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
We're not players for the top UFAs this year, or most years.
That's reality.

As far as trades, uh like who? For what?

In the last calendar year, we've seen Jacob Trouba, Mark Stone, EK, Matt Duchene, ROR, Jeff Skinner, Dougie Hamilon, Nino Niederreiter, Gustav Nyquist, Jake Muzzin, Max Pacioretty, Mikael Granlund, etc. all dealt.

Meanwhile, we've acquired Hartman, Bailey, & Talbot.

Now, I'm not saying we should have been in on all of those guys or anything, but the point is that good and great players are indeed available by trade. I've been advocating patience and am fine going young and dealing with the growing pains, but we have assets out the ass and had a shitload of cap space. I'd prefer to make a hockey trade to fill 2C instead of a highly questionable signing that takes out a huge chunk of the latter and potentially costs us some of the former without having the type of impact that makes that acceptable. And we should be players for top UFAs (and used to always be as a matter of course.) It's just when dipping into that market, you have to be careful. You want to add Brieres & Timonens, not MacDonalds & Bryzgalovs. We have (had) money, a willingness to use it, cap space, important pieces already on the roster and a cupboard full of prospects. You take your shot at Panarin and if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen, but I'd much rather pay Panarin 12 million than Hayes 7 million.

In which way has Danny Briere been a bad contract? That little guy was money on and off the ice.

Gomez became inept at playing hockey soon and Drury was more like a slow breakdown. One can only hope that Fletcher picked his own Briere in K. Hayes.

Briere was coming off a 95 point season that saw him garner serious Hart consideration when Holmgen signed him. If the NMC is what got him signed, then fine, I can live with the consequences of that since he was a game-changer for the franchise for the bulk of the contract and almost helped us win a Stanley Cup. Expecting Hayes to live up to that seems like pure insanity to me.

And lest anyone misunderstands me and thinks I'm shitting on Hayes, I'm not. He's a fine player and I very dearly hope this all works out and that I have the biggest possible plate of crow in front of me when we win the Stanley Cup the next two years. But you're just rationalizing yourself into blind acceptance if you don't see that we're taking questionable risks here.

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Again, Hayes might not be a superstar but we don't need one. We just need a reliable 2c with decent defense.

Exactly that's how I feel about it.

Did they overpay for Hayes? Yes.
Is he the next Danny Briere. No, because he doesn't have the offensive upside.
But will he be Scott Gomez bad and kill our cap? Improbable. A lot would have to go wrong, he'd have to fall off a cliff. 7M per will be in the middle of the ballpark for middle-6 centers in a couple of years.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
It still feels like an overpayment. If his cap % number shows he got the going rate for 2C's, then Fletch gets less blame for shitty negotiating (Especially with Homer and Ass-face breathing in his ear and fondling his jowels.)

He's a solid player though and can move throughout the lineup so that helps the sting.

He also seems like he has a sense of humour.

Horrible terrorist beard though.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
With regards to his career year away from AV. Was it more to do with less defensive assignments, more PP time or something else?

Curious if you stat guys can shed some light.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
What would be really funny is if he gave back some or all of that money, ripped up his contract, and ****ed off somewhere else. That would rule.

In Year 4, Hayes will mysteriously disappear. Roommate Gritty will be found curled up in a corner of their place, with an extra big tummy bulge like a boa constrictor.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I would like the title changed as he signed for 49.98 million and not 50 million. Thanks
IMG_0823.JPG

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
He was a bigger fish in a smaller pond who quite frankly wasn’t playing with as potent teammates as he has now.
Sounds like Couturier in regards to usage before his big breakout. To those saying this will hurt down the road, it’s not. To Fletcher’s credit he heavily front loaded the NMC years, Hayes’ contract drops off as time marches on. Assuming Hayes’ play doesn’t fall off a cliff, I’d imagine Hayes would be desirable acquisition for a budget team with an internal cap at a later date due to the cap hit being greater than actual dollars spent on salary, especially as the salary cap continues to climb higher. This was not the sexy signing everyone wanted, but it fills a need that unfortunately Patrick has not been able to thus far.

Reactions: hatcher

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Its also madness to think that the flyers haven't had some preliminary discussions with Panarin in gauging if he was interested in joining. My thoughts are that he wasn't, is going to get a huge offer in FA that we can't match, so Fletch went for Hayes.

8 x 12. full NMC is the buzz for Panarin, we were never gonna be in on him

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
You're not allowed to talk to other teams's UFAs without permission until the free agent interview period which starts on Monday.
Oh please....

So no team in the NHL has ever spoken to a free agent before July 1st. Give me a break.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In the last calendar year, we've seen Jacob Trouba, Mark Stone, EK, Matt Duchene, ROR, Jeff Skinner, Dougie Hamilon, Nino Niederreiter, Gustav Nyquist, Jake Muzzin, Max Pacioretty, Mikael Granlund, etc. all dealt.

One year deals are inconsequential, and look at the cost of extensions.
ROR was the only bargain, and that was Buffalo's incompetence more than anything.
Everyone else was an expensive trade and/or extension.

And many of these players at this point in their careers are no better/more of a risk than Hayes.

Every big move is risky, some moves are more risky.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
One year deals are inconsequential, and look at the cost of extensions.
ROR was the only bargain, and that was Buffalo's incompetence more than anything.
Everyone else was an expensive trade and/or extension.

And many of these players at this point in their careers are no better/more of a risk than Hayes.

Uh, none of this true. Niederreiter & Granlund cost practically nothing. Stone was well worth both the price paid for him and his extension. I throw the dice with EK every time. None of those players present the risk that Hayes does save maybe EK due to injury concerns, and the potential rewards are on par or far greater.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad