Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes 5: signs 7 years, $50M

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think they had a lot of input from AV, who used Hayes more like Couts in his earlier years.
Whereas Couts was an instinctive defender, Hayes had to learn to play at both ends.

He's averaged 36 ES points over 5 years, 37 over the last three, so the scoring isn't a huge fluke.
Hayes has improved defensively and on the PK.

Last year is probably his upside, but I think the Flyers would love if he averaged 37 ES points over the first five years of this contract with above average defense and contributing on the PK.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
vEXY0DR_d.jpg

So we can all thank Konecny for this
:laugh:

Joke's on Hayes. Now TK can chirp him every day at practice.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm not asking if Hayes is worth the contract...I'm asking if you have issues with Hayes the player. Is there are $$ that you say...great deal?

I’ve already said that I would have been ok with Hayes on a different contract. Cut the term by 2 years, the AAV by a million, and lose the NMC and it works, though he still wouldn’t be my first choice because I’d want to use our abundant cap space and assets to land a true star player.

But you can’t disentangle a player from his contract. You couldn’t even truthfully do that back in Gratton’s day (bad contracts weigh on a team & limit resources available to make improvements) and it’s just impossible now. We may have to bridge guys I want to lock up yesterday. That has cap implications down the line that could really hurt us. Is Hayes worth it? I have my doubts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We were never going to land a true star in UFA, exactly how many are there and where do they choose to go?
Yes, 5x6 would be ideal, I'm sure the Islanders would prefer Nelson on a 5x5 deal.

On the other hand, Hextall wouldn't shell out for a 3rd year for Stastny or a competent backup goalie and eat Neuvirth's salary, and it got him fired.

Reactions: Freddy

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
We were never going to land a true star in UFA, exactly how many are there and where do they choose to go?
Yes, 5x6 would be ideal, I'm sure the Islanders would prefer Nelson on a 5x5 deal.

On the other hand, Hextall wouldn't shell out for a 3rd year for Stastny or a competent backup goalie and eat Neuvirth's salary, and it got him fired.

There’s a star player (or potentially two if you go RFA) available this summer. Make an aggressive play for him and if it doesn’t happen, it wasn’t for lack of trying. There’s also the possibility of adding a guy through a trade. If it’s the right guy, I’m ok with moving significant pieces. If you can’t land the right guy, keep your powder dry for when he does become available.

The Brock Nelson thing misses the point. The point isn’t that we should have signed Hayes to a more palatable contract. That was never really in the cards. The point is that you don’t sign Kevin Hayes to a contract that doesn’t make sense. He’s likely not enough of an impact player to make him worth the trouble.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're not players for the top UFAs this year, or most years.
That's reality.

As far as trades, uh like who? For what?

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
We're not players for the top UFAs this year, or most years.
That's reality.

As far as trades, uh like who? For what?
There were presumably two stars going to be available this year and we had enough space to fit both if we felt the need. Karlsson reupped and panarin to Florida is pretty much a done deal. I'm neglecting Bob who as a two time vezina winner is definitely a star just not one we have any interest in.

I said in the other thread this reminds me of holmgrens first foray into free agency. Briere Gomez and Drury were out there. None stars but good players and all bad deals. the nmc is the killer here. A million in bad cap I can live with. Cap space is the highest touted prospect on the net and has not and will never score a point in the NHL but the nmc takes away flexibility. If a legit first tier guy were to become available were now out of the running unless we move assets I want to keep more than Hayes.

I liked going for it. But what I liked most about in was that if Hayes wanted well the deal he got we could walk away . Fletcher didn't and that's a bad play.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
There were presumably two stars going to be available this year and we had enough space to fit both if we felt the need. Karlsson reupped and panarin to Florida is pretty much a done deal. I'm neglecting Bob who as a two time vezina winner is definitely a star just not one we have any interest in.

I said in the other thread this reminds me of holmgrens first foray into free agency. Briere Gomez and Drury were out there. None stars but good players and all bad deals. the nmc is the killer here. A million in bad cap I can live with. Cap space is the highest touted prospect on the net and has not and will never score a point in the NHL but the nmc takes away flexibility. If a legit first tier guy were to become available were now out of the running unless we move assets I want to keep more than Hayes.

I liked going for it. But what I liked most about in was that if Hayes wanted well the deal he got we could walk away . Fletcher didn't and that's a bad play.

In which way has Danny Briere been a bad contract? That little guy was money on and off the ice.

Gomez became inept at playing hockey soon and Drury was more like a slow breakdown. One can only hope that Fletcher picked his own Briere in K. Hayes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad